Wash & Wax advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 03:44 PM
ranger

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile Wash & Wax advice

I have a 2006 TL in Black! I haven't done anything yet exept wash it with plain water. The finish is outstanding; smooth and with a deep shine. The trick will be to keep it that way.
I have always washed our cars with plain water, dried with a chamois, and used McQuirars 3-step products. Mostly the 3-wax and occasionally the 2-polish. However, this is the first black car I ever owned, not to mention, the most expensive. It will never be in a show or even in show off mode, but I want to keep it nice for as long as possible.
Without getting too exotic, will the McQuirars NXT or their other Gold? wax be much better for the black paint than what I am using?
Thanks for your help - this is a great community.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll find mixed feelings about Megs (and other OTC products) vs other products mentioned and discussed here. Venture in this sub-forum to see what other members are using and how they like it. If you're satisfied with the results of what you use, then by all means continue using it. My experience with NXT: loses it's slickiness after a couple of days and durability wise, about 5-6 weeks. NXT gave a good shine, but not the depth I was looking for. Ease of use: no problems applying and removing the product and dusting was minimal. Can't comment on the gold class wax.

NBP is a beautiful color especially when it's clean. You'll have to devote time to keep it that way. You should read the Acurazine Car Care FAQ and Autopia's "How To" library for more info on maintaining and upkeep for cars. If you have a question regarding this topic, post it in this sub forum. You'll get answers from very knowledgeable folks.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ranger
I have a 2006 TL in Black! I haven't done anything yet exept wash it with plain water. The finish is outstanding; smooth and with a deep shine. The trick will be to keep it that way.
I have always washed our cars with plain water, dried with a chamois, and used McQuirars 3-step products. Mostly the 3-wax and occasionally the 2-polish. However, this is the first black car I ever owned, not to mention, the most expensive. It will never be in a show or even in show off mode, but I want to keep it nice for as long as possible.
Without getting too exotic, will the McQuirars NXT or their other Gold? wax be much better for the black paint than what I am using?
Thanks for your help - this is a great community.
Being an owner of a black car, all I can recommend is to gain knowledge about not introducing more swirls and scratches to the finish. Touchless car washes are OK but they use pretty strong stuff just to get rid of the gunk on the finish. If you can handwash, then do it. Those cloth and brush type car washes- stay the heck away from them. Black is pretty tricky to keep pristine since it shows every little bit of a scratch no matter how minor. Your washing methods can introduce new scratches as well. Remember that if the car has been dirty for a few days, then the dirt is pretty much stuck to the finish as a film and even power washing won't necessarily remove it. Car wash soap is an absolute necessity since it lifts away that film of dirt and lets it be carried away by the suds safely off the finish without scratching it. A good wash mitt like lambswool or MF would also be a good idea, take it a step further and use a 2-bucket system (clean water and dirty water).

Another idea you might want to consider is to use a synthetic sealant as opposed to simply just wax. Wax only affords you a few weeks of protection compared to some sealants which may last you months depending on the climate you're in. You can top the sealant off with wax which would give you a form of "extended" protection. It also makes sure that contaminants like bird crap can easily be removed and will not etch the clearcoat.

I have no extensive experience with NXT but I heard from some that it doesn't last as long. The shine it provides is awesome but I don't think it will give you anything more than the #3 Pure Carnauba that you use now. Most of the good stuff like Klasse. Menzerna, Blackfire are not OTC.

Also, a good set of Microfiber towels and cloths are a black car's best friend.

Cleaning/ detailing a black car is a little bit more involving but the gratification you would get after giving it a "better than showroom" shine is second to none.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vicman17
Being an owner of a black car, all I can recommend is to gain knowledge about not introducing more swirls and scratches to the finish. Touchless car washes are OK but they use pretty strong stuff just to get rid of the gunk on the finish. If you can handwash, then do it. Those cloth and brush type car washes- stay the heck away from them. Black is pretty tricky to keep pristine since it shows every little bit of a scratch no matter how minor. Your washing methods can introduce new scratches as well. Remember that if the car has been dirty for a few days, then the dirt is pretty much stuck to the finish as a film and even power washing won't necessarily remove it. Car wash soap is an absolute necessity since it lifts away that film of dirt and lets it be carried away by the suds safely off the finish without scratching it. A good wash mitt like lambswool or MF would also be a good idea, take it a step further and use a 2-bucket system (clean water and dirty water).

Another idea you might want to consider is to use a synthetic sealant as opposed to simply just wax. Wax only affords you a few weeks of protection compared to some sealants which may last you months depending on the climate you're in. You can top the sealant off with wax which would give you a form of "extended" protection. It also makes sure that contaminants like bird crap can easily be removed and will not etch the clearcoat.

I have no extensive experience with NXT but I heard from some that it doesn't last as long. The shine it provides is awesome but I don't think it will give you anything more than the #3 Pure Carnauba that you use now. Most of the good stuff like Klasse. Menzerna, Blackfire are not OTC.

Also, a good set of Microfiber towels and cloths are a black car's best friend.

Cleaning/ detailing a black car is a little bit more involving but the gratification you would get after giving it a "better than showroom" shine is second to none.
I got a black one too buddy and although all this extensive stuff outlined in this forum sounds a bit too much for now I am just planning on using a sheepskin mitt and washing it regularly with Meguiars Gold Class car wash and then use the quik detailing stuff. #34 or somethin
Old 11-05-2005, 10:10 AM
6th Gear

I think P21S conditioning shampoo is great for all color cars and microfiber is a NECESSITY in detailing; Waffle Weave for drying, regular for detailing
Old 11-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

www.autopia.org .......anything n everything u ever wanted to know about detailing ur car
Old 11-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another good forum for info is Detail City and one that is often overlooked is Better Car Care. BTW, chaosboi916 where in the Capitol City are you?