Using Zaino with a Porter Cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using Zaino with a Porter Cable

Guys, I need some guidance. I PMed Exceldetail earlier today but he hasn't gotten back to me because he probably didn't log in yet. i was hoping some of you other guys might be able to help me out and give some added advice.

I have an '06 RRP TL with minor swirling and scratches. I used Z-5 initially by hand and wasn't happy with it. I bought Z-PC but before stepping up to that (I want to wait to use an abrasive until the surface is a little worse) I want to see if Z-5 works better when I apply it with the Porter Cable. My question is, what pad do i use when applying Z-5 and Z-PC? I've been reading around and I would think a black finishing pad with Z-5 (and Z-2) since they are non abrasive and a white pad if I decide to step up to Z-PC because it's not as aggressive as orange and my car is newer so it shouldn't need much putting power. But that's my novice thought, advice is always welcome.

Also, what brand should I go with? The only brand I ever heard of is Sonus. Is there a difference between pads with a curved surface and the flat ones? And Should I get the 3 1/2 inch backing plate or won't I find much value in it?

Thanks guys
Old 06-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by evolpe
I have an '06 RRP TL with minor swirling and scratches. I used Z-5 initially by hand and wasn't happy with it. I bought Z-PC but before stepping up to that (I want to wait to use an abrasive until the surface is a little worse) I want to see if Z-5 works better when I apply it with the Porter Cable. My question is, what pad do i use when applying Z-5 and Z-PC? I've been reading around and I would think a black finishing pad with Z-5 (and Z-2) since they are non abrasive and a white pad if I decide to step up to Z-PC because it's not as aggressive as orange and my car is newer so it shouldn't need much putting power. But that's my novice thought, advice is always welcome.
First off Z-5 is a filler and surface defects will eventually show back up. Use a finishing pad for Z-5. Regardless of how new the car is, swirls can still be induced You have a PC & Z-PC available, so why not correct/remove the defects before applying Z-2. You'll find the results much more satisfying. Finding the right pad/product combo can be a PITA.
Also, what brand should I go with? The only brand I ever heard of is Sonus.
Are we talking pads here? There are several pad manufacturers and the ones you hear talked about most is Lake Country (LC), Edge and Megs. These are available through most of the online detail sites. Autopia carries Sonus and Megs. Autogeek carries LC and Edge. Exceldetail carries Erasure pads (a number of members use) manufactured by LC. I like the LC line mainly because it offers various cuts.
Is there a difference between pads with a curved surface and the flat ones? And Should I get the 3 1/2 inch backing plate or won't I find much value in it?
Let me address the BP issue first. You can use a 5" or 6" BP with a 6.5" pad. Use a 3.5" BP if you're using 4" pads.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Thanks Hawhyen. I knew Z-5 was a filler and eventually the blemishes would reappear. But I bought the stuff... I might as well use it. ;0)
Old 06-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on how bad the scratches are..

I have used Lake Country Yellow Pad on a bunch of black, neglected SUV's with Zaino ZPC-Fusion, had to go over them twice, putting lots of pressure on the 7424 Porter Cable, and finally got the clear finish I was looking for.
Before anything, I washed with Dawn to remove any old crap on the paint, did alot of claybar work to get the finishes smooth, even though they were full of scratches, swirls, wash marks, etc..
After the Yellow Pad/ZPC Fusion, I went straight to Z-5/ZFX/Z6 x 2 and then 1 coat of Z2/ZFX/Z6 and the result was stunning ! They all looked better than when purchased new. I think if I had more time I might have gone over the finishes with ZPC Fusion and a White pad to possibly bring the finish in clearer, but the ZPC Fusion breaks down so well that I didnt really think it needed it. Be sure to spray your yellow pad with some Z6 before you put your dabs of ZPC Fusion on and buff slowly with pressure as needed and watch the material break down to powder. Wipe off with Z6 and do it again as needed to get the clarity you want. Anything you put on afterwards will only make it better. Zaino products are that good. And now they have an All In One and a Clear Sealer.. Good luck, you will be very happy with the results. DanF