using 2 different waxes

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005 | 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

using 2 different waxes

Ok,
So i have the Mother's carnauba wax and I also have the NXT High tech polymer, if i want to get good protection and a nice wet look, should i use both? Like after i wash the car, should i use NXT for the protection, and then apply some Mother's, and then use some Mother's Quick Detailer, or is that not a good idea?

Also one more question, how often should i clay my car? I believe the first time i did it was maybe 2 months ago, i think i heard that it was every 6 months?
Old 03-01-2005 | 08:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by andyjl
Ok,
So i have the Mother's carnauba wax and I also have the NXT High tech polymer, if i want to get good protection and a nice wet look, should i use both? Like after i wash the car, should i use NXT for the protection, and then apply some Mother's, and then use some Mother's Quick Detailer, or is that not a good idea?

Also one more question, how often should i clay my car? I believe the first time i did it was maybe 2 months ago, i think i heard that it was every 6 months?
They will work well together, as long as theres no cleaners in the MOthers product. The Mothers is sacrificial atop the polymer, but its an often used technique. It may deter dust accumulation that polymers are inherent for.
As for claying, no more than twice a year is necessary or recommended.
Old 03-02-2005 | 06:26 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Quote: As for claying, no more than twice a year is necessary or recommended.
a.k.a. Patrick

Non-argumentative just interested as I've never heard that detailing clay could harm a paint surface by being used (properly) too often
JonM
Old 03-02-2005 | 06:55 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Quote: As for claying, no more than twice a year is necessary or recommended.
a.k.a. Patrick

Non-argumentative just interested as I've never heard that detailing clay could harm a paint surface by being used (properly) too often
JonM
I forgot to add this ref-How often can you use clay?

Last edited by TOGWT; 03-02-2005 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-02-2005 | 07:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Twice a month is recommended as part of your yearly maintenance routine Jon...I can understand the Autopian way, but find it unecessary to clay with every wash. Clay, after all, is an abrasive product, and I find it nearly impossible to (As Mosca stated) to be able to remove fallout without LSP? You might as well use tweezers?!
Old 03-03-2005 | 02:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by exceldetail
They will work well together, as long as theres no cleaners in the MOthers product. The Mothers is sacrificial atop the polymer, but its an often used technique. It may deter dust accumulation that polymers are inherent for.
As for claying, no more than twice a year is necessary or recommended.
Hmm...do you happen to know if the Mother's product has any cleaners in it? What do you mean by Mothers is sacrificial atop the polymer, do you mean, i should use the mothers on top of the NXT polymer?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2005 | 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Cleaner Wax

Originally Posted by andyjl
Hmm...do you happen to know if the Mother's product has any cleaners in it? What do you mean by Mothers is sacrificial atop the polymer, do you mean, i should use the mothers on top of the NXT polymer?

Thanks
It should say "Cleaner Wax" . Most big brands have these "one-step" products. They have very minor abrasives and some chemical cleaners added to carnauba or synthetic wax. If you use this, it may remove the product you applied prior to the cleaner wax.

If you want to top a polymer, use a pure Carnauba like P21S/S100 or Meg's #16/ #26. Mother's makes a pure paste wax in a can but is not as good as the Meg's and is more expensive. IMO S100 is the best on top of sealant. Goes on like butter and lasts long.