Used TL + newbie = a ton of questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 04:54 AM
Mons shaver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Used TL + newbie = a ton of questions

I just got a used 00 TL in place of my 93 Vigor. I've done some reading and searching on this site and learned a lot of new things. But, with learning new things I also have several questions.

1. I've read that Lexol and 303 are good products to use. Do you use 303 aerospace protectant to clean the leather then use the lexol things? Or do you use the lexol cleaner, conditioner, then the 303?

2. I have these funny "scratches" looking things on my rims. Since the car is used I had to take it as is. I don't think they're scratches because if you rub your hand on it, you can't feel any scratch there. It looks like something under the clear coat. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

3. What do you use to protect the rubber trim on the car (i.e. on the moonroof?) Do you use 303 alone? Or is there something better to use?

4. Silly question, but, can you use lexol products on home furniture? I have a leather couch that has a blueberry stain. I was thinking of trying lexol on it. Anyone else try it?

5. I didn't have a chance to search for this yet, but anyone have suggestions on alarm systems?

Thanks for all the help.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:43 AM
TL no more!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome and congrats!!!!

1. 303 is a protectant. It's especially good with protecting the leather and vinyl from UV rays. What you can do is to use the Lexol cleaner and clean the leather and vinyl, then use Lexol conditioner on the leather. After a couple of months, use 303 instead of Lexol conditioner. Do this alternatively and the leather will be protected. Don't use Lexol on vinyl, use the 303 at all times on vinyl surfaces.

2. Can you take a pic of the scratches?? Other kinds of scratches you may not feel is swirl marks. You can use an orbital buffer such as a Porter Cable 7337SP with the white pad and 3M SMR. That will take most of the swirls off. In fact, I'll be working on my '96 3.2TL I just bought next week. Come back to the Wax forum next weekend to see results.

3. 303 will work just fine on rubber surfaces

4. Yup! You can use Lexol on any leather surfaces

5. I have no experience with aftermarket alarms but I've heard good things about Cliffords and Vipers.

Good luck!!!
Old 09-30-2004, 11:16 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Allright let's see if this helps magnod.

I just got a used 00 TL in place of my 93 Vigor. I've done some reading and searching on this site and learned a lot of new things. But, with learning new things I also have several questions.

1. I've read that Lexol and 303 are good products to use. Do you use 303 aerospace protectant to clean the leather then use the lexol things? Or do you use the lexol cleaner, conditioner, then the 303?

The Lexol cleaner and conditioner are for the leather, the 303 aerospace should be used on clean vinal. I would suggest wiping all the dust and dirt away with a damp microfiber cloth and then go voer it with 303 once it is dry. Always clean the surface before applying a protectant, you will "protect" the dirt on the dash.

2. I have these funny "scratches" looking things on my rims. Since the car is used I had to take it as is. I don't think they're scratches because if you rub your hand on it, you can't feel any scratch there. It looks like something under the clear coat. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

It would be easier to see the scratches before advising, however the best metal polish on th market, personal opinion , is Wenol. There are two different abrasive levels, one to take away scratches and the other is for very slight scratch removal and a final polish.

3. What do you use to protect the rubber trim on the car (i.e. on the moonroof?) Do you use 303 alone? Or is there something better to use?

303 is king here, it can be used on Tonneau covers, plastic trim, rubber seals, tires, generally everything black on the outside of the car actually. Once again wipe it clean then protect.

4. Silly question, but, can you use lexol products on home furniture? I have a leather couch that has a blueberry stain. I was thinking of trying lexol on it. Anyone else try it?

Lexol is actually one of the best leather care product in the world! hands down.... it is used by furnature stores, HORSE TANNERYS (spelling), etc. The only place that sells Lexol in the toronto area, other that us at ShowShine.ca is a horse tannery, they use it to clean the saddles and protect the leather..

5. I didn't have a chance to search for this yet, but anyone have suggestions on alarm systems?

Four cars got broken into on my street two days ago!! not mine though, I think they were scared away by the little red blinking light on the drivers door, . I am actually thinking about getting a compustar alarm, it comes with a key-chain pager that will show what part of your alarm is going off, broken window, door open, trunk open, etc..

Hope that helped, hit us up with more questions when they come up, we are here to help.

Patrick
www.ShowShine.ca
Old 09-30-2004, 04:09 PM
Mons shaver

Thanks for all the help.

I've read about the different polishes and waxes in some of the posts here. From my understanding, the synthetic polishes last longer (but don't protect as well? and may have harsh material to remove swirls?) while the carbuna waxes are good but have a short liftspan. Is that correct?

Also, can anyone recommend a good carbuna or synthetic product? I've seen Blackfire? mentioned around here, but I haven't seen that in Hawaii so far. Any other suggestions?

Is Dawn or dishwashing soap a lot better then car wash liquid?

I'll try to post pictures of the weird things on my rims soon.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:19 PM
TL no more!

Yes, you're right. Polymer (synthetic) waxes is a lot more durable than canauba. Blackfire is good but I haven't personally used it. I use Klasse AIO and SG and they are awesome!!! A good canauba is P21S or S100. It is buttery smooth. It's good!!!
Old 09-30-2004, 05:14 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by magnod
Thanks for all the help.

I've read about the different polishes and waxes in some of the posts here. From my understanding, the synthetic polishes last longer (but don't protect as well? and may have harsh material to remove swirls?) while the carbuna waxes are good but have a short liftspan. Is that correct?

Also, can anyone recommend a good carbuna or synthetic product? I've seen Blackfire? mentioned around here, but I haven't seen that in Hawaii so far. Any other suggestions?

Is Dawn or dishwashing soap a lot better then car wash liquid?

I'll try to post pictures of the weird things on my rims soon.
Definitely don't use dishwashing liquid on your can unless you want to remove any wax/polish protection that's on it. Instead use any good car wash liquid like Meguir's NXT or Gold.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:48 PM
Banned

Compustar alarms are amazing, especially if you get the pager with the LCD screen that works from a mile away!!
Old 10-01-2004, 05:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WolfpackBill
Yes, you're right. Polymer (synthetic) waxes is a lot more durable than canauba. Blackfire is good but I haven't personally used it. I use Klasse AIO and SG and they are awesome!!! A good canauba is P21S or S100. It is buttery smooth. It's good!!!
I can vouch for Blackfire, actually both versions. The latter version being slightly more user friendly and less of a dust puppet. Incredible depth and brilliance, in my opinion unmatched by any other sealant........Durability above carnauba averages, but still below Klasse.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:39 AM
Mons shaver

One more quick question.
I've seen a lot of people recommend Klasse as a good wax, I have yet to find it here in Hawaii so I may have to order it online. Is Klasse the same thing as Klasse all in one? I've seen it at website.

Thanks

BTW: I've asked this in the audio forum, but just in case anyone else here has an opinion.

New HU

Clarion DXZ845 or DXZ645 or Eclipse 3434
Old 10-06-2004, 07:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
MAg, theres actually two products were talking about here....Klasse AIO(red) is a All in One product. It cleans and protects. Klasse sealant glaze (SG, silver) is there version of protectant. Both are very good products, AIO cleans by chemical process. SG can be tricky to use, a lot of Klasse users will opt for the AIO, topped with another sealant, be it carnauba or polymer.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:19 AM

Thanks for all the help.

Also, can anyone recommend a good carbuna or synthetic product?
The synthetic sealants will last longer, are water resistant, and are more durable.. Now the caranubas give a better depth to the paint, feel like silk when applied, hence the reason they (caranubas) are typically used for show cars, even though the lack in the durability catagory.

My reccomended/prefered Caranuba Wax - P21S, Natty's Paste Wax (made by Poorboy's Worlds) or Meguiars #16 Paste Wax (no longer sold in Canada due to border restrictions, I have the last 7 tins!! )
My reccomended/prefered synthetic sealants would be either be Klasse, or the very similar yet a little more user friendly Wolfgang.

Old 10-06-2004, 02:57 PM
Mons shaver

Thanks for the help...

I'm not sure if stores carry those products in Hawaii. Any suggestions for online retailers?
Old 10-08-2004, 01:09 AM
Mons shaver

Here's the pictures of the lines on my rims. Although it looks like scratches they aren't. If you rub your finger over it majority of the lines feel smooth like the rest of the rim. Any suggestions?

Old 10-08-2004, 05:29 AM
Banned

clear coat is peeling, look at your rim lock, looks like rust, may be too much driving near salt water
Old 10-08-2004, 08:35 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by REV-01
clear coat is peeling, look at your rim lock, looks like rust, may be too much driving near salt water
~One mans opinion / observations~

I’d agree it does look like clear coat failure. Try using an abrasive polish to ‘level’ the surface and then re-apply a clear coat.

Maintenance- once the clear is re-applied use a polymer sealant to protect the surface (Klasse All-In-One, Wheel Wax, NXT Tech Wax, and etc)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
Old 10-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Mons shaver

Any suggestions on a clear coat that's easy to use? Also, living in Hawaii you're surrounded by salt water on all sides.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:38 AM
Banned

may be previous owner drove by near ahua st often
Old 10-10-2004, 12:58 AM

Thanks for the help...

I'm not sure if stores carry those products in Hawaii. Any suggestions for online retailers?

Yep, www.ShowShine.ca . Contact me personally and I will try to work out some deals for ya, cosidering you are so far away..

Patrick
www.ShowShine.ca