Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 10:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently (last week) decided to try 4* UPP. So I picked up a PC, bought some pads, some SSR1, Pro polish, UPP and UGE from Exceldetail. First off I want to thank Excel for the fast shipment and great customer support he has provided me. I got the package on Friday night and tore into it and decided to get a jump on my weekend project. Washed the car down, and clayed it, taped off the trim peices since this was my first shot with PC, with a machine of any sort for that matter, on my car. Went after the car (Satin Silver) with a green Propel pad and the SSR1. Very easy to use, both the PC and the SSR. Couple of rookie mistakes like picking the PC off the surface under power, it only takes a couple of times of that to learn not to do it, SLING EVERYWHERE. Started out at about 3¾ and then bumped it to about 5½. The paint was good and slick when I got done, although while doing it, I could not really see much difference between where I had done and had yet to do, so I was probably not really doing all that much in the way of cutting/leveling. After I was done with the polish came the task of cleaning up some of the SLING that I had done, but it came off surprising easy. I read in some how-to, think that it was excels, that when you finish the polish, you are done with the hard part and in using the UPP, that was definantly the case, the stuff went on nice and easy. My one problem was that I could not really tell if I was putting on too much or not enough, I was using it sparingly and the bottle says and probably used less than an ounce or 1 ½ oz for the entire car but not much more than that. Wipe down was a breeze and the car looked great! Topped it off with a spray of UGE and wipe down.

Saturday I took the car in to have protective film put on the headlights and the guy remarked about how slick the paint was.

Sunday I gave it another wash, to get the dust off before applying a second coat of UPP. Now the paint is really taking on a wet look. and in the rain today, the water was not so much beading like you think of fresh wax job doing, but smaller beads. but put the car in motion, and those beads fly off like water off a shaking dog because it is so slick.

I am very happy with what I am experiancing so far from the UPP. My only thought is that I am wanting it to have a deeper wetter look. I am thinking that maybe I need to go with a heavyer first cut polish, say SSR2 and a yellow pad, followed by SSR1 with Green. or maybe an additional coating of UPP. I think that I am limited by 2 things with trying to achieve what I really want and that is the color of the paint and the orange peel effect that I see.

Is it possible to level the clear so that the orange peel is not as noticeable?
Old 07-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hardrock32tls, I hate to say this, if not me, someone else.

Really, some pics to show the result of the UPP.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I can do it, but have serious problems with my computer because it does not have enough memory for me to be able to edit the pics.