Uneven 303 protectant on dash...help

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008 | 06:59 PM
Drifting

Uneven 303 protectant on dash...help

Hi guys. So based upon many posts here I elected to detail my interior. I cleaned my dash with Woolite 5/1 mix and then wiped it off with a moist Microfiber.
after it was totally dry, I applied some of the infamous aerospace 303 onto a microfiber and wiped it on, frequently wiping and flipping over to the other side. Although the dash looks ok ..it hardly looks spectacular. It looks very uneven to me and to be honest doesnt look better than any 5 dollar armor all Ive applied in the past. I thought this stuff was sooooo great and it would make it a DEEP black... am I doing something wrong ?
I have an 04TL 6speed....
Old 10-27-2008 | 07:02 PM
Instructor

I wasnt too impressed with 303 either. Uneven spots all over the dash and it was not a deep black shine.
Old 10-27-2008 | 08:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Keep in mind, 303 is a protectant. its used to protect foremost. Its appearance qualities are only secondary to its protection. Its not an armor all type of gloss enhancer! Thats why people buy it is for it lack of gloss enhancing. If you want bling bling, there quite a handful of products available for your liking at your local Pep Boys or Kragen. 303 is unique, as is its appearance. Just not something most are used to.
Old 10-27-2008 | 08:31 PM
Team Owner

SilverJ,

Excel hit it just right. He really knows his stuff. Plus, Aerospace 303 came VERY highly recommended-especially when I had a convertible top. It's a VERY good protectant. My experience is that it doesn't go on that easily, but it's well worth it. Since your dash is exposed to the sunlight so much, it will really help your save and protect exposed areas of your car. Use it on trim pieces on the outside of your car, like the black trim on the roof of the car. Or even the black portions under the windshield wipers.
Old 10-28-2008 | 12:31 AM
CITIUS::INFERIUS::FORTIUS

^^^ Definitely agree. 303 is a product that protects/works behind the scenes more than for looks. I love the more dry look and especially like the protection because I don't have tinted windows.
Old 10-28-2008 | 01:05 AM
Drifting

Im ok with the dryer/matte look....it just looks uneven..is that the way its supposed to look ?
Old 10-28-2008 | 01:56 AM
_

Weird... never had problems with 303 being uneven.

Maybe you used too much or didn't wipe it down completely?

And +1 on the dry/matte look. I hate how Armor All makes the dash all shiny. It's just toooo shiny.
Old 10-28-2008 | 03:55 AM
The Detailer

Usually if you're experiencing an uneven look, you could try wiping your dash down with a clean microfiber. IME when applying 303, you have one MF dedicated for applying 303 and another for wiping it down.

303 isn't really meant for looks and I'd caution anyone that does use a dressing for their dash that is strictly for looks. If you use something that's really "blingy", you risk blinding the crap out of yourself when the sun hits it.

For me, I've been using 303 AP, Poorboy's World Natural Look, and Optimum Protectant Plus. All products are great and leave that satin/matte look while providing great UV protection. I hope this helps.
Old 10-28-2008 | 08:24 AM
Drifting

Thanks.

I will try doing the wipe it on with one microfiber and wiping off with another clean one. Do you guys recommend cleaning it again with woolite and then the 303 or should I just apply some more 303 and wipe accordingly ?
Also...I have read MANY posts saying that 303 intensifies whatever color something is...I expected
a deeper, darker black on my dash but I just dont see it.
Are people exaggerating what this can really do or is there some OTHER way to work this in where you CAN get a deeper darker color out of your interior ?
Also...I dont like the shiny blingy look either. But I hate the uneven look so I am trying to resolve this...

Last edited by SilverJ; 10-28-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-28-2008 | 08:51 AM
Suzuka Master

The dash on a TL is known for uneven looking spots to start with especially around the air bags ....

I have used both 303 and Megs #40 on the dash and do actually prefer #40.. and neither "bling"

Here is a post from Ron Ketcham from Auto Int. regarding protection..

Quote;

303, Mequiar's, Eagle One (VW's product is Eagle One), etc these are water borne, Polydimetalsiloxane resin formula's, every last one of them.

303 only differs from many other PDMS dressings, (polydimethalsiloxane) by percentage of the resin mixed into the water that is it's carrier to the surface.
Be it Eagle One, Zanio, Mequiar's, Mother's, 303 etc, all the "white-water based" dressings are PDMS.
This resin DOES NOT DAMAGE vinyl or tires, to have that, happen one would have to use the "greasy kid stuff"/"getto shine" products, which contains petroluem distillates and dimethal silicone fluids.

303 has a higher resin content, the maximum that can be used, which is why it cost more.
Most of the mass marketed PDMS are usually around 18 to 20%, most professional dressings are between 22 and 27%.
Cost is an issue for professional detailers, and even the higher resin 303 does not last "that" much longer than a, say 24% content.
Just looks better for a couple of days.

The "UV" protectant adverstising is pure bunk, it is not possible to actually put "UV" blockers in these types of resins and if it could be done, the product would have to be marketed at about 3 to 4 times a higher price, as a UV component is very, very expensive.
The claim of "UV" protection comes from the resin barrier created and the additional shine, which reflects the damaging UV's.
The real advantage of using a PDMS is protection from the far more damaging ozone that is present. This protection is only there as long as the product is.

Unquote:

D
Old 10-28-2008 | 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

I also got the spotted look when I used 303. It was great in my old TSX and I continue to use it with my TL-S. I wanna say that I just reapplied it to get the spotted areas taken care of. Perhaps the Woolite is somehow causing the spots and the 303 just brings them out? Just a thought.
Old 10-28-2008 | 09:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
I also got the spotted look when I used 303. It was great in my old TSX and I continue to use it with my TL-S. I wanna say that I just reapplied it to get the spotted areas taken care of. Perhaps the Woolite is somehow causing the spots and the 303 just brings them out? Just a thought.
I doubt its the Woolite cuz it happens without it .. Woolite if used properly doesn't leave much of anything behind. To use it properly you mist the cloth not spray it directly on the dash and where there is a need for more you mist the area not soak it.
Old 10-28-2008 | 09:43 AM
Drifting

I guess I will try to reapply it. Good detailed info above. Thank you.
I am using a 3 pack of microfibers I bought for like 8 bucks...hopefully they are sufficient. Btw...why cant we just use soft cotton rags to apply ? Like an old T shirt or a hand towel ?
Old 10-28-2008 | 09:44 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I doubt its the Woolite cuz it happens without it .. Woolite if used properly doesn't leave much of anything behind. To use it properly you mist the cloth not spray it directly on the dash and where there is a need for more you mist the area not soak it.
That is absolutely the way i did it wiht the Woolite and the 303...product on the cloth...not directly on the dash. I will say the woolite did a great job on my steering wheel. Holy S*** was that thing dirty !
Old 10-28-2008 | 09:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SilverJ
I guess I will try to reapply it. Good detailed info above. Thank you.
I am using a 3 pack of microfibers I bought for like 8 bucks...hopefully they are sufficient. Btw...why cant we just use soft cotton rags to apply ? Like an old T shirt or a hand towel ?
The reason I use a M/F with the misted Woolite is because it also acts like a dust magnet ... as far as applying the 303 etc I DO use a soft flannelette cloth thats folded .. not scrunched up followed with a folded M/F to remove excess if any.
Old 10-28-2008 | 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Okay on the Woolite. I have used it as well and didn't notice any residue.
Old 10-28-2008 | 06:46 PM
2016 E350 Sport

For the dash, I use a foam applicator pad saturated with 303. I then wipe with a clean MF after a few minutes. My dash has a dark matte finish and it looks great. I just hate the outline of the passenger air bag.
Old 10-30-2008 | 07:47 PM
Advanced

I have the airbag issue as well as mentioned by previous poster. It seems to be "bleeding" through on the dash. Will the 303 Protector help remove this?
Old 11-01-2008 | 01:09 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Originally Posted by frosty ride
I have the airbag issue as well as mentioned by previous poster. It seems to be "bleeding" through on the dash. Will the 303 Protector help remove this?
No it will not. The 303 will help blend the lines but not cover them up.