The ultimate wheel cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
The ultimate wheel cleaner?

SONAX Wheel Cleaner

Precision Wheel Cleaner for safe and effective removal of brake dust and stubborn dirt

SONAX Wheel Cleaner is a highly effective, acid-free and pH balanced rim and wheel cleaner that is safe for all wheels, including aluminum and alloys. This formulation is also effective and safe for use on painted wheels and will not deteriorate clear coats.

SONAX Wheel Cleaner contains unique chemical ingredients that effectively dissolves the sintered iron by forming a water soluble iron complex. During the use of your vehicle, brake dust and road grime become sintered to the surface of rims and wheels due to the high temperature conditions they are normally exposed. Brake dust contains high levels of iron and once sintered to the rim, becomes extremely difficult to dissolve or remove without the use of harsh chemicals.

SONAX Wheel Cleaner sprays on as a thick, flourescent grean foam. As the cleansing foam begins to work into the dirt and grime, the formula begins to turn red. The red coloration is the SONAX Wheel Cleaner forming a bond to the sintered iron on the wheel and changing its state to a water soluble complex for easy removal. Stubborn, baked on grime may take a small amount of agitation. Rinse wheels thoroughly with a power washer and wipe dry.

MSRP - $19.99.

So here is the test I did over the weekend. First I used this on the VW R32 and got amazing results, unfortunately no pictures.

Was able to do some more testing and the test subject a 2010 Audi S4, with all the bad weather I figured this was a great time to test it out. 4-5 weeks without washing the car (due to rain, snow, northeast winter)

Take a look I followed the instructions to the tee and got some amazing results, dare I say this will be a hit! I'm going to say even better than my favorite wheel cleaner.

Before shot of the wheel

Sprayed it on, and it was immediately green as stated in the directions

Started to turn purple within minutes

Take a look at it cleaning. (this was after quickly using the Uber Spoke Brush and Uber Boar's Hair Brush nothing crazy just a quick brushing)

Used a power washer (Cam Spray) and they looks great!

Needless to say I was impressed so impressed we will be carrying this asap.
I know most know what my favorite wheel cleaner is here and I've been using it for 15 years and I think I just found its replacement.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Those pics with the red looks like you ran over a deer or something and that's the blood from it...haha

On a slightly serious side, does this bright red stuff stain the driveway?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MD03CL-S
Those pics with the red looks like you ran over a deer or something and that's the blood from it...haha

I didn't notice I'll take a look but I'm about 99 percent sure it doesn't this has been in the European market for years.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by MD03CL-S

I'd be concerned about this too
Old 03-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Updated: with the HUGE Response on this item I will start the pre ordering now. Shipment should be here in 5-7 days.

Click here to reserve yours today SONAX Wheel Cleaner. (Don't forget to add your discount code)
Old 03-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Was any of that brake dust baked on ? By that I mean it wouldn't normally wash of with car was soap & water.

I get dust like that on my wheels but it washes right off? My Olds wheels on the other hand were neglected and the black is baked right into the clear in the spoke corners. I have a few cleaners and even megs wheel cleaner full strength wont do it. Next step oven cleaner.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,046 Posts
2 questions, how does this compare to the p2s wheel gel and how much hand work was done on the wheel to get it clean like that?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Former Sponsor

so far I' loving this product, I'm going to say it has dethroned P21S in my book.

as for stains on the driveway make sure you rinse the area as you would any other cleaners and you will be fine.

once I get some wheels that are a bit more baked on I will post it up.

the wheels on the demo car were not done for weeks and the sides were pretty baked on, little brushing action was used.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:02 AM
The Detailer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome, guess I'll have to put another order in!
Old 03-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Is it biodegradable? An Officer had to check my bottle of Chemical Guys citrus wash and gloss to make sure I wasn't contaminating the water... idiots...
Old 03-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Is it biodegradable? An Officer had to check my bottle of Chemical Guys citrus wash and gloss to make sure I wasn't contaminating the water... idiots...

Got to love those guys .. cleaner needs to be biodegradable but its ok to wash of crap thats not and wash it down the drain.