udm on its way...thoughts on process..

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008 | 11:36 AM
Safety Car

udm on its way...thoughts on process..

i am planning on a wash and clay whole car...then i plan on using a light polish with either the orange lake country pad or the white pad that comes with the udm, then i will use meguiars quick detail to clean up after the polish, then a hand applied nxt...any input on my process will be welcomed...my cars finish is still pretty good, car is only 5 months old, but i have noticed some minor spider webbing, you really have to look hard, and some minor pitting in the clear coat on the bumper skin from daily driving on the freeway...i am wanting to use the mild polish, either pinnacle advanced finishing polish, or the meguiars step two pure polish to smooth everything out...should this be enough or will i need to be more agressive with polish/pad combo...i have never jumpped into the machine detail route before, should be fun!!
Old 03-19-2008 | 11:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Your polish choise might be a little mild I'm not up on the Pinnacle one .. the Megs step 2 is geared for hand use. Dunno how it will perform with a PC/UDM.

Here is some reading .. applies to the UDM too

How to use a PC
Old 03-19-2008 | 12:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Your polish choise might be a little mild I'm not up on the Pinnacle one .. the Megs step 2 is geared for hand use. Dunno how it will perform with a PC/UDM.

Here is some reading .. applies to the UDM too

How to use a PC
i knew i could count on you for quick and informative replies...

i also have some pinnacle advanced swirl remover, which is a more abrasive polish then the pinnacle finishing polish or the step two megs all of which are diminishing polishes...i just didnt want to be over agressive...if the finnishing polish is not doing the job, should i use a more agressive polish or pad or both...obviously i want the least agressive approach...correct
Old 03-19-2008 | 12:40 PM
Former Sponsor

I'll give ya a little tip, try to stay with one brand. That way you know what to expect of each product. Usually 3 varying abrasivenesses will get you out of the woods 99% of the time, and obviously will be everything you would need. "Occasionaly" you may need something out of the woodworks, but its not too often.
I would say the Pinn is the more abrasive of the two.
I think "Jess" will agree, anythin applied by PC/UDM will provide additional cut/cleaning ability.
Always make sure you pad supports the product your using as well. In other words, if your using an abrasive product, you need to make sure your using a pad which is stiff enough to "roll out" the abrasives, otherwise they are absorbed into the pads cushioning, and never really abrade properly.
Old 03-19-2008 | 12:56 PM
Safety Car

thanks, the polishes and sealant are various products i have on hand from past projects, and was going to start with them until i see a need to purchase additional products...i havnt used a machine before so the polish and pad combos are what i am probably over thinking at this point as i am sure the products i have will do the trick...
Old 03-19-2008 | 02:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by vinnier6
i am probably over thinking at this point as i am sure the products i have will do the trick...
If you dind they don't cut it ( damn!! that was a pun ) talk to Patrick about the Optimum line because it has sure made my life easier.
Old 03-19-2008 | 02:31 PM
Instructor

Vinnier6,
Even though we haven't met up around the 'hood' yet; I have some products that you are welcome to try with your udm. I have some PoorBoys SSR1 and 2.5 for the swirls and webbing and EXP Sealant. From 4Star I have UPP and UPPS; I have the Klasse twins if you want to try acrylic and you can top it any of it off with either P21S or Natty's Blue 'nuba. I'll be doing my fathers red 300z next weekend, not Easter; so if you want to try them this weekend let me know. My porter cable died, I am interested in the UDM; a refurb, but don't know if I get one that quick. Maybe we can work out a deal. I'm gonna see about the UDM now. Let me know if you are interested.
Jeff
Old 03-19-2008 | 06:27 PM
Safety Car

Well, there ya go . . . that's an offer you can't refuse. And I don't think you'll go wrong with the PB SSR line of polishes. #1 on a white pad will solve your problem and no need for a finishing polish. Follow with UPP. Go for it!
Old 03-19-2008 | 07:35 PM
Former Sponsor

SSR1 is a real, real light polish. More like a maintenance polish. (I have tons on sale btw). If your looking for any type of correction, opt for SSR2.
Seriously, its super light! It may or may not be what ya need, and I guess ya wont know until ya try, and if you have a fellow Ziner offering, I say go for it, just dont expect anything substantial in the way of swirl removal.
Hats off to the "neighbor" for offering with the supplies, thats very generous!
Old 03-19-2008 | 09:23 PM
Team Owner

All products used were from ExcelDetail-

I just did my entire 01TL with the UDM and 3 pack of polishing pads , orange white, red, and the Optimum 3 pack with Hyper, regular and polishing compounds.
Topped it all off with the Optimal Spray Wax. Looks really nice

In the sunlight today I found a few remaining tiny swirls and scratches to work on some more, better to need more work that taking off paint~
Considering the maze of brush and towel scratches all over the car, first timer with the UDM, and the multi step process of doing it right...the results are amazing

By the 3rd pad and type of compound, the quality of user skills on application was going down... and today its visible. No one but me would notice.
Each section was done 3 sets of back n forth, up and down as shown in the instruction manual, wiped down, then moved on to the next finer stuff.

After the Hyper compound on orange pad, you could have topped it with spray wax and most onlookers would believe it was a pro job. And thats before the much gentler steps that remove the marks from the first round of cleaning the paint.
Noobs may want to break the job into a couple of days to get best effort.

Many ask: whats a good beginner detailing kit?- the UDM came with a bag that holds everything needed for the waxing, pockets for big and little bottles, towels, spray QD, water, whatever!
I was shocked they included such a well thought out product, expecting a basic bag that wont hold any supplies.
2 neighbors are already asking to borrow it
Thanks Patrick, now I am hooked and need a regular size mid compound and more microfiber towels- they beat the local store bought ones big time!!

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 03-19-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-19-2008 | 11:20 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jbx35
Vinnier6,
Even though we haven't met up around the 'hood' yet; I have some products that you are welcome to try with your udm. I have some PoorBoys SSR1 and 2.5 for the swirls and webbing and EXP Sealant. From 4Star I have UPP and UPPS; I have the Klasse twins if you want to try acrylic and you can top it any of it off with either P21S or Natty's Blue 'nuba. I'll be doing my fathers red 300z next weekend, not Easter; so if you want to try them this weekend let me know. My porter cable died, I am interested in the UDM; a refurb, but don't know if I get one that quick. Maybe we can work out a deal. I'm gonna see about the UDM now. Let me know if you are interested.
Jeff
where are you located at...i live in grayhawk, inbetween eldorado and panthercreek just east of teel...i work on the weekends usually until 2pm or soo, i would let you use the udm....
Old 03-20-2008 | 09:02 AM
Safety Car

nevermind, i see we live in the same hood....man we must be really close, i think your just across panthercreek from me...lets try and get hooked up, i see we are also close in age, so we should have something in common...
Old 03-20-2008 | 11:43 AM
Instructor

Yea, you're just a couple blocks north of me. I don't mind helping out a fellow Aziner get some serious shine on his ride. I have used all the Meg. products before and they have their place, but what the others are recommending and what I have for you to try out performs Megs hands down. You will be addicted after the first time, it's a sickness really; these guys can attest to that. When are you expecting the UDM and want to do your TL, this weekend or next? I will be doing the 300z next weekend (29th & 30th). Since you work until 2; I'll be done with most of the products that you will need anyway by then, so if we are both doing this next weekend that would still work out. I'll try to PM you with my contact info today.
Old 03-20-2008 | 04:38 PM
Trucki!!

wow, this is why this forum is the best!!