Trying to remove swirls from my NBP TL...bought some products not sure what to do

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 01:28 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to remove swirls from my NBP TL...bought some products not sure what to do

I am trying to remove these swirls, and I asked previously and someone told me to get "claybar" and someone else said something about meguiar's "scratchx". I went to the auto store and bought the scratchX but I wasn't sure about the claybar. There was 1 box that said Claybar but it was by Mothers I think or some brand like that, and then there was this other box which I ended up buying called Meguiar's smooth surface clay kit, which says it includes "2 individually wrapped clay bars". Are these both "claybar" that will help me remove the swirls.

Also assuming these are the products I should have bought what exactly do I do to the remove the swirls, like what order should put the stuff on in and is there anything specifically I should do that isn't listed on the instructions on the products?
Old 06-19-2008, 02:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
First of all, you did good on your research, but not to well, I do applaud you for doing though.

the purpose of a clay bar is to remove surface contaminants from the car, such as fallout, rail-dust, stuff that causes your paint to be rough. When doing detailing, it is always a golden rule to clay as that will lead to a nice clean surface to work with. Claying does not remove scratches really. I wuld return that meguirs kit you got, their bars are not the best. The mother's one is much better.

Scratch-x, a great tool for scratches (light that you can't catch with your fingernail) near door handles and locks, but not good for removing swirls.

I would recommend you do this:
Buy the claykit from mothers and return the one you got.
clay the car, but for the lubricant, use water and car wash solution (meg's has good ones for OTC) instead of using the supplied stuff.
Then dry the car and use the right abrasives/polishes to get rid of the swirls. If doing by hand, this is going to be very tough, esp on a black car. It can be done, but it will take time.

I would recommend that you post a picture or two of these swirls so we can see the right product to recommend. OTC products most likely will not get out swirls, exceldetail and auto-geek have prety good prices for stuff that can't be bought in stores.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:11 AM
Advanced

there is nothing wrong with the clay bar kit you have....the meguiars kit is just as good or = to the mothers....either one will do...you can clay your car around 3 times per clay bar with the meguiars kit...

as for the swirls, you will most likely need to purchase a machine called a udm...or ultimate detail machine...its a dual action orbital buffer...it will polish out your swirl marks and make your car look mirror polished....if thats what you want....
Old 06-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by racerxx
there is nothing wrong with the clay bar kit you have....the meguiars kit is just as good or = to the mothers....either one will do...you can clay your car around 3 times per clay bar with the meguiars kit...

as for the swirls, you will most likely need to purchase a machine called a udm...or ultimate detail machine...its a dual action orbital buffer...it will polish out your swirl marks and make your car look mirror polished....if thats what you want....
Racerxx do you have a PC or UDM?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Racerxx do you have a PC or UDM?
currently a udm.....i have used the pc, but i bought the udm
Old 06-21-2008, 08:11 AM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Especially if you own a NBP, you will need to either invest in a PC or a UDM, or you'll need to accept swirls. Acura clear coat is very soft, thus it swirls/mars/scratches very easily. You also need to make sure you've got the proper products and techniques for washing and drying. You would be amazed at how easily you can mark up your finish just by washing and drying.

As some have said...black isn't a color, it's a part-time job!

Click on the link in my signature and you can see what the finish on my NBP looks like. The good news is that NBP CAN look incredible. The bad news is that it takes a lot of work.