trying to detail...NBP am I doing it right?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:41 AM
D.L.T

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
trying to detail...NBP am I doing it right?

Well I'm about to start trying to detail my car but first before I do that I wanted to kno couple of things...I've never done this thing before..just recently bought the PC and from what I been reading either everyone in here has experience doing this stuff or is it that easy? But other then that my plan is to clay it and then polish it...but was wondering if I can use Meguires #7 and then wax it with #26 for wax...using those two would be fine? Or am I missing something...and also I do have swirls all over my car would that be enough? Plz help
Old 06-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Check my post titled C300 ... It pretty well lays out what you need.

Megs #7 is a glaze and won't do what your wanting to.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your on the right track, but you will need to purchase a few other items....

a polish of some sort, if you cant wait and order something online, autozone usually carries a variety of meguiars polishes, but you need to know what to buy...glaze wont do what you need done as dale has stated....

pads, did you pick up any additional pads when you got the pc, orange, white and gray will most likely be needed....

and yes, the pc is that easy to use....start slow, 3-5 on the speed, get used to the feel, then when polishing to correct swirls and stuff use speed 5-6 and work it in...there are plenty of websites that have videos on how to use the machine and how to break down polish....
Old 06-25-2008, 08:55 AM
D.L.T

Thanks racerxx....so what do you recomend for a black car?...and can you give me a website where I can order some good polish? And would I need only 1 polish and then wax?...because I seen some people use more then 1 polish I don't understand why..1 is not enough?
Old 06-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Excel Detail is a sponsor here and he carries the Optimum line. I prefer them because they have a long working time.

The reason there is somtimes 2 steps of polish used is the more agressive polish/pad will sometimes haze the paint a bit and the finer polish/pad is used to bring up the gloss before sealing/waxing.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:11 AM
D.L.T

Ohhh I get it now....thank you jesstzn...I'm def going to try it...oh wait 1 more question...can the pads be reuse? Can you wash them or once u use it you throw them out and buy new ones?
Old 06-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Pads can be used over and over again. Just a simple soapy wash, with warm water, and a little massaging and your good to go.
Practice with a light abrasive product and pad on a panel or two, to get used to the feeling of the machine.
As Jess said, #7 is a just a filler, dont expect swirl removal with it, just filling.
Im also with Jess in using the Optimum compounds and polishes. Great results, and easy to work with. You will more then likely need the Compound and an Orange polishing pad with the NBP, then reduce polish and pad abrasiveness (Optimum Polish/White polishing pad).
Old 06-25-2008, 10:23 AM
D.L.T

Ok sounds good thanks exceldetail I was looking at your website and I'm def going to buy them..but jess also mention that he used poliseal..would I need that n if I do...that comes after all the cumpound n polish?...and also 4oz is enough for 1 car? Or 2?...or the 32oz is better?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yaze21
Ok sounds good thanks exceldetail I was looking at your website and I'm def going to buy them..but jess also mention that he used poliseal..would I need that n if I do...that comes after all the cumpound n polish?...and also 4oz is enough for 1 car? Or 2?...or the 32oz is better?
Correct, after all heavier polishing use the PS. PS isnt really a "polish" as much as it is a clean up and protectant product.
4oz is enough for a car or two. For some reason, I always end up using more PoliSeal then any other Optimum product.
Jess is quite the resident expert with PS also.;...!