Todays D- T L

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008 | 09:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Todays D- T L

Warm one in Hollywood today, about 10 degrees warmer then I care for, period.
I client of mine since he first bought his 04 NBP, last time I saw him was March, before that was Jan 07. So I usually get the TL twice annually. I had picked up some Four Star Scratch and Swirl Mark Remover at the shop yesterday, in hopes of doing a little write up on it, however, things just didnt get that far today.
I was also going to do a write up on the Surf City Beyond Clay. I figured I would do 1/2 the hood or rear deck, then finish with traditional methods as a time saver. I know nothing about the SC BC, other then what SC reps have conveyed to me.
The entire TL was washed with two buckets of NRWS prior to detailing.
First the makers claims, followed by my experience on this NBP TL:
  • Removes surface contaminants, YES
  • Removes overspray, None to remove/speak of.
  • Removes surface oxidation, YES
  • Removes swirl marks, YES
  • Removes light scratches, YES
  • Deep cleans and polishes paint, YES.
  • Restores faded paint to original gloss, YES
I have to admit, I was very apprehensive about this product. I seriously was only prepared to "sample" it. Its applied very much in the same manner as one would use a polish. I used a UDM, and a black 5.5" Erasure, on about speed 4+.
Applied 4 small pinky sized dots, rubbed on surface, then "clayed" away. I started with 1/2 the rear deck, then checked the results. The deck area was in the shade when I applied and removed. I have to admit, its not as easy as a sealant or Optimum polish to remove, more so like removing a paint cleaner. Just a tad stubborn (more on this later). I found the Titan Shag towel worked much better as compared to a short napped MF (Supreme). The results were better then anticipated. The surface was very smooth. I compared to the untouched side of the deck for comparison, and there was a significant difference. But the real difference was in what it had done to this starved NBP paint. If I could rate the swirls on this vehicle from 1-5, I would give this TL a 3.9. After the SC Beyond Clay, I noticed a definite return of depth and flake, and the light swirls were nearly gone. All of this in one step?
So I moved onto the hood, where it was partially in the sun. I thought "what the hell, I need to know how this stuff works." So....

I didnt notice the product drying out upon application, or caking, but I kept making passes to insure a good test base. I made about 5 up/down passes with the 5.5 black Erasure. One thing I noticed upon removal, it was much easier in the sun?! Im no chemist but for whatever the reason, it was about 40% easier to remove in the sun which is kind of unusual. The following pics are after removal of the one (pictured above) pass. Now with NBP, you have to look closely at the changes, as the camera just doesnt quite capture "reality".
Heres a few pics, and if you look closely enough, you will see the difference.

In the first two pics, the sun is at the upper edge of the Beyond Clay pass. The 3rd pic shows the difference pretty good though.
I was so impressed by the Surf City Beyond Clay, I did the entire car with it. I did move to a 4" black Erasure however to accommodate the TL's curves and corners, and provide a thorough cleaning. A quick word on the "claying" benefits of Surf City Beyond Clay, the surface, as far as I could tell, was every bit as as slick as claying. With the added benefit of polishing attributes, this is a keeper in my arsenal. Considering you clay and polish in one step is phenomenal for me. Plus theres no risk of marring with this, its actually quite the opposite.
Results, obviously will vary with the users techniques, paint colors, and overall "before" appearance of the paint your working on. Now on to some additional before and after pics.

The TL was sealed up with Surf City Nano Seal, which is an absolute pleasure to use. Less oily then FS UPP which would explain why I used about twice as much. Super easy to remove (and apply). Only REQUIRES 20-30 minute set time (same as UPP). Ideally, 24 hrs for the Nano Seal. A very buttery/creamy texture, smells pleasant as well. Leave a super slik surface, great compliment to the SC BC.
Total time, 5 hrs inside and out.......
Old 11-08-2008 | 09:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Oh, I will say it again as I forgot the links to the products........
I HATE 5 MINUTE EDIT RULES!!!!
I THINK IS TOTALLY RIDICULOUS. ACURAZINE IS THE ONLY FORUM I FREQUENT WHICH DOES THIS!
Old 11-09-2008 | 12:07 AM
2016 E350 Sport

Thanks for the write-up Patrick.

Interesting product. I'm still trying to get my head around using a product that "clays" and polishes all in one. I guess I'm just curious what happens to the surface contaminants during polishing.

Only 5 hours? I wish I knew how to detail that fast.
Old 11-09-2008 | 03:30 AM
The Detailer

Looks great Pat! I don't know if I can ever accept the SC clay... it just seems so unusual.
Old 11-09-2008 | 09:12 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm still out to lunch .. sorry.
Old 11-09-2008 | 12:29 PM
Former Sponsor

I totally understand the skepticism! I just wanted to convey my findings guys. I dont know the how's, why's, and wheres. Im certain it will take a few more user reviews before there are some believers.
Old 11-09-2008 | 02:15 PM
Former Sponsor

I totally understand the skepticism! I just wanted to convey my findings guys. I dont know the how's, why's, and wheres. Im certain it will take a few more user reviews before there are some believers.
Old 11-10-2008 | 01:12 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

I find this new product interesting...look forward seeing it on more applications to see it's consistency.

Thanks for your thorough posts.

P.S. I hate the 5 minute edit rule as well. Maybe 10 or 15 minutes is more reasonable.