The Time Has Come

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Unhappy The Time Has Come

Well folks…I am sad to say that the time has come for me to hang up my buffer. This was not a decision I came to lightly and I have been pondering it for at least few months and giving it more serious thought in the past week or so.

The foundation of my retirement was laid as soon as I began working with paint several years ago. The main reasons for me moving away from detailing is due to a lack of clients with time and money to burn. Many want an 18 hour job done in one day for $100 and I’m only one guy, folks. I’ve tried to weed out these people as best I can but it’s just not working. Another highly prominent factor is the increased strain on my body. Both sides of my family suffer from back problems and the more I twist and strain while working on cars, the sooner I will begin to suffer as well. After the Q5 I detailed in June, my back was in crippling pain for several days. Additionally, my customer base is shrinking, not growing and this summer was by far my worst year in the past decade. I had a whopping total of two corrections and one touch up while the rest were simple washes or protection jobs. I attribute this customer loss to people who were used to the 14 year old boy who washed cars for fun. As my skills grew, my prices had to rise accordingly and a slump in loyalty quickly followed. I did gain new customers looking for great work but it just wasn't enough to bridge the gap. I also blame the slump in business to the downturn in the economy but regardless, my love for the work isn’t enough for me to continue justifying the expense it requires. I have pumped well over $2,000 in supplies and equipment into this venture in the past 12 months alone and it simply isn’t paying off enough for me to afford supplies, let alone turn a profit. I feel that a further price increase will simply alienate my remaining customer base.

While you have seen great work from me, in most cases, I actually lost money on the venture rather than earned it. They say always quit while you're ahead and that's exactly what I'm doing. I feel that if I continue down my current path, detailing will become more of a burden than a reward. For the longest time I looked forward to making neglected paint jobs shine but that appeal simply isn't there anymore. For a while I anxiously awaited the return of that feeling but it has yet to surface after months of waiting. I want to be able to look back my days detailing with fond memories instead of disinterest and loathing.

For me, detailing was a way to teach myself a new skill and make some money on the side. While I won’t pretend to know everything (because nobody does), I feel that I have learned a great deal and made many friends with you here and elsewhere. I will not go away, fear not. AcuraZine is by far the greatest forum of which I have ever been a member and it’s the people that make it great. While I will not be accepting any new clients, I will maintain a very select group who understand the effort that goes into what I do and appreciate the time taken. And when work does present itself, I will show it. Also, I am more than willing to continue offering advice and will maintain a presence here in W&W, enjoying and commenting on your fabulous work and pointing new folks in the right direction.

I sincerely appreciate everybody’s support over the past few years and wish all of you, novices and experts alike, the best of luck in your ventures. Stay swirl-free, my friends!

- Andrew
Old 11-04-2010, 07:28 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by friesm2000
, so are you completly leaving the forums then or just not dtailing anymore
vvv:

Originally Posted by PortlandRL
Well folks…I am sad to say that the time has come for me to hang up my buffer. This was not a decision I came to lightly and I have been pondering it for at least few months and giving it more serious thought in the past week or so.

The foundation of my retirement was laid as soon as I began working with paint several years ago. The main reasons for me moving away from detailing is due to a lack of clients with time and money to burn. Many want an 18 hour job done in one day for $100 and I’m only one guy, folks. I’ve tried to weed out these people as best I can but it’s just not working. Another highly prominent factor is the increased strain on my body. Both sides of my family suffer from back problems and the more I twist and strain while working on cars, the sooner I will begin to suffer as well. After the Q5 I detailed in June, my back was in crippling pain for several days. Additionally, my customer base is shrinking, not growing and this summer was by far my worst year in the past decade. I had a whopping total of two corrections and one touch up while the rest were simple washes or protection jobs. I attribute this customer loss to people who were used to the 14 year old boy who washed cars for fun. As my skills grew, my prices had to rise accordingly and a slump in loyalty quickly followed. I did gain new customers looking for great work but it just wasn't enough to bridge the gap. I also blame the slump in business to the downturn in the economy but regardless, my love for the work isn’t enough for me to continue justifying the expense it requires. I have pumped well over $2,000 in supplies and equipment into this venture in the past 12 months alone and it simply isn’t paying off enough for me to afford supplies, let alone turn a profit. I feel that a further price increase will simply alienate my remaining customer base.

While you have seen great work from me, in most cases, I actually lost money on the venture rather than earned it. They say always quit while you're ahead and that's exactly what I'm doing. I feel that if I continue down my current path, detailing will become more of a burden than a reward. For the longest time I looked forward to making neglected paint jobs shine but that appeal simply isn't there anymore. For a while I anxiously awaited the return of that feeling but it has yet to surface after months of waiting. I want to be able to look back my days detailing with fond memories instead of disinterest and loathing.

For me, detailing was a way to teach myself a new skill and make some money on the side. While I won’t pretend to know everything (because nobody does), I feel that I have learned a great deal and made many friends with you here and elsewhere. I will not go away, fear not. AcuraZine is by far the greatest forum of which I have ever been a member and it’s the people that make it great. While I will not be accepting any new clients, I will maintain a very select group who understand the effort that goes into what I do and appreciate the time taken. And when work does present itself, I will show it. Also, I am more than willing to continue offering advice and will maintain a presence here in W&W, enjoying and commenting on your fabulous work and pointing new folks in the right direction.

I sincerely appreciate everybody’s support over the past few years and wish all of you, novices and experts alike, the best of luck in your ventures. Stay swirl-free, my friends!

- Andrew
Old 11-04-2010, 07:36 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
what bullshit are you posting under my name
Old 11-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Is this because the Democrats lost control of the House?

Will the Garage become a cesspool of human waste?

Will Portland end up on an episode of Intervention huffing polish fumes?

Tune in next season!
Old 11-04-2010, 07:42 PM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
wanna teach me you skills?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
to the buffer

Andrew, you're hired for this coming summer if you're still up to it.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:56 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Andrew- sorry to hear about your situation. I think I'm in the place you were when you first started "Oh look, a 17 year old who's motivated and wants to make some money, let's help him out." I'm just getting started. Although I do zero paint correction (just wash/clay/wax, etc.) whatsoever, I've been paid quite well. Since April of this year I've done 12 cars, averaging 7 hours of work/$80-$120 a car. Not too shabby.

Have you ever considered not doing as much work per car, IE not doing paint correction? I feel like that'd greatly take a load off of your work. Don't just give up on it! Take a break over the winter and see what spring brings. I wish you the best of luck. Your work is outstanding.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I feel your pain man, the last job I did was in October..... People want quality jobs done these days for cheap now, it doesn't help.....
Old 11-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
In all seriousness, that's quite a decision to come to.

It sounds like you are at peace with it, good for you.

The only other option I could think of for you would be to offer a lesser quality service (Wash/dry/wax with fillers) service and just do a high volume, but I don't think that's your style.

Anyway, find something new! Idle hands masturbate a lot.

(I couldn't be completely serious, it's ME!)
Old 11-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Thanks for the words of support, everybody.

Originally Posted by justnspace
wanna teach me you skills?
Come on up to Portland.

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
to the buffer

Andrew, you're hired for this coming summer if you're still up to it.
I think I can pencil you in. I won't be throwing anything out.

Originally Posted by cjTL
Have you ever considered not doing as much work per car, IE not doing paint correction? I feel like that'd greatly take a load off of your work. Don't just give up on it! Take a break over the winter and see what spring brings. I wish you the best of luck. Your work is outstanding.
I have offered a clay/sealant option for the last year or so and it has generated very little interest. Thanks for your kind words.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Have fun ... thats the key ... will miss you ..
Old 11-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andrew sorry it took me so long to address this after your text Now that I have read your thread I completly understand and I'am sorry that not all understand what it takes for a full correction and the price thats related to such work, believe me you know that I know what hell you have endured on some jobs, including my TL-S and the soft Honda paint that resulted in a high stress level to both of us this past summer that ended up with the random orbital rather than the Makita, but none the less the results were and are flawless. I can't say that I blame you for your decision, when your happiness is compromised, your finances compromised, and your physical mobility compromised due to all the bending and stooping etc involved its easy to see that in this equation its time to move on. Glad to hear that you will be keeping your select few clients as I know the ones you have elected to keep know what an asset you truly are
You are always apperciated by me and and are always welcomed to work on my TL to keep it pristine
Old 11-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
you've done some great work on peoples cars ... if im ever in portland you gotta hook me up with some of ur skills!
Old 11-06-2010, 05:51 AM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
Andrew I'm so sorry to hear

I wish you the best with whatever you decide to do from here on out! You never know, a buffer may find it's way back into your life
Old 11-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Just saw this.

Kind of sucks.
But as you said. You're not getting rid of your equip. You can still enjoy the satisfaction of keeping your own vehicle(s) pristine and and not having to deal with the headaches of clients. So I say it's a win-win.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Sounds like you made the right decision for yourself Andrew. I've got back issues too, and it sucks.

It's more satisfying detailing your own car(s) anyway.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I unofficially hung my shiner up about 1 year ago. I have forearm and shoulder issues which would make for 2-3 day recoveries. Ive come out of retirement ONCE in the last year, lol, for a 3 car day which pretty much cinched the idea of hanging it up. My own vehicles are the latest to suffer.
Sorry to see you give it up so early, but if the body says no, then you have to listen.
If people arent willing to pay for a job well done, then screw um.....let them get hacked for half somewhere else.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,050 Posts
It sounds like you're doing what's best, so instead of apologizing I'll congratulate you for making a clearly tough decision.

And it doesn't sound like all is lost, since we'll still get your expertise and admire your work when it does come in
Old 11-07-2010, 03:40 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Thanks for your support everybody. I really appreciate it and it enforces my belief I made the right decision.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
best of luck on your future endeavours... it was a pleasure seeing your work and having your input as a member here... i am glad that you will stick around azine... i completely agree with you about the market nowadays... the economy sucks and not everyone can shell out a few hundred dollars for a quality detail anymore... even for me i have been slacking as of late...

best thing now is to use your supplies to keep your own ride clean so ppl can gawk when you drive around...
Old 11-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,469 Likes on 3,063 Posts
Good luck to you Andrew, I actually wanted to start a detailing business, but like you I have back problems, and decided that the investment and the harm caused to my body was too great to offset the extra money. I will miss your threads showcasing your work as you have been a true inspiration for me. Glad you'll at least stay around so I can pick your brain though
Old 11-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Racer

^^
Oh he'll still have at least one thread next summer when he does my
TL-S
I will always pay Andrew accordingly because all of his work is showcasing
Old 11-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow! I have to agree congrats on a very great detailing career Andrew! your threads showing your work were unbelieivable and you have always been willing to help everyone and anyone on this board. I come to the W & W section everyday to see what guys like you Patrick and Dale are putting up or are talking about. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose to do going forward, but as others have mentioned i'm sure you will still have some more threads with your great details in them in the future!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
^^ +10000 on that!!!

Good luck, always enjoyed your posts. You better not become a stranger
Old 11-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Detail Cars in Philly in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea i never could really find the crowd that wanted to pay the price for total correction and havent touched my PC in a longgg time. Just do random stuff on weekends for people for cheap.
Been so busy with school and work that just havent had time
Old 11-11-2010, 02:13 PM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm sure you'll be successful in whatever you do my friend! The sickness will always remain, so I suspect that you'll continue to have one of the best looking cars around. Take care buddy.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Thanks, guys!!

If I do get those jobs worth doing, they will be posted...promise.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Racer

^^