System One x3 cutting polish kit on cheap Chicago rotary?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
System One x3 cutting polish kit on cheap Chicago rotary?

Well I stumbled upon some vids of this system one x3 cutting polish, and I have to say, initially I'm quite impressed. It's a water based polished and has no diminishing abrasives, which means it's safer to use on a rotary than traditional polishes. I saw some vids where they're using it with the cheap orange Chicago rotary and their double sided wool/foam pad and were getting awesome results.

Well, I still have a new variable speed Chicago rotary from harborfreight (same one used in demos) that I got well over a year ago that I've never used...and after seeing the vids, it kind of made me lean towards going the rotary route vs. pc (which I just currently bought).

Question is...has anyone used the x3 polish/system...and also, what are the differences between a 20 dollar chicago rotary vs. say...a 300 dollar makita or dewalt? I mean, functionally, should the chicago be able to get the same job done?

I'm really considering just selling off the pc and getting the x3 kit if this stuff really is that good/foolproof.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Usually the $30 rotary has less power and less ability to maintain the seleted speed.

And no where in this link ( 3x polish ) did it say it was safer .. what it did say is that because its a consistent abrasive your cut or polishing is based on the pad you used.

So if you used a wool pad your still going to have to follow it with a finer pad etc.

I have never created compounding swirls using a diminishing abrasive product with a PC .. I guess you could with a rotary.

As far as the vids go .. have you ever really seen a vid advertizing the results of a product that weren't awesome?

Also keep in mind even using a white polishing pad or the equal on a rotarty you can induce holograms that your still going to have to polish out with a PC. So outside of the only advantage of a rotary being that you can do a lot more in shorter time as far as scratch / swirl removal your still going to have to polish out the holograms. The other risk is the untrained can burn through the clear because the rotary can generate a lot of heat.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
True, you cant really believe everything you wish to. No matter how good it may appear, theres always a catch somewhere, unless you have heard from front end users themselves.
I have used the Sys 1 Polish before and was actually quite pleased with the results. The spray wax has little to be desired though. I still have it, but man, Im obsessed with either FS Body Shop or Optimum stuff...........It just seems to fill every niche Ive encountered.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:40 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've also read nothing but good reviews about the system one polish...and was thinking about using it as my intro to rotary usage. Jess...you're definitely right about the speed issue regarding cheap rotarys...and the motor is a lot more liekly to fluctuate the speed with pressure. But I was still wondering if I'd be able to achieve the same results with a 20 dollar chicago rotary vs. a 2xx dollar dewalt?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered the Chicago rotary last night. After busting my ass on a heavily swirled xB a few weeks ago, I've had it! I've been watching every youtube video of people demo'ing a rotary and I dont think its as scary as some make it out to be. As long as you dont keep in it in one place and you have no distractions, looks like a piece of cake. I've been using a PC for almost 4 years now, so its time...

I got a Chicago for now just to try it out. Its 9.8 amps, 3300 RPM max...should be good enough. If I like it, I'll probably pick up a Metabo eventually...
Old 05-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
There were some decent reviews on Autopia about the Chicago one being decent for the weekend warrior.