Summers end approaching, are you ready for Fall?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Summers end approaching, are you ready for Fall?

With every new season, I like to treat my vehicles to a fresh application of products. This is my timeline, my cue, my calling if you will, to take a weekend, and get the cars back in that semi virgin state of appearance. So, Ive got about 4 weeks to figure out my plan of attack. Just long enough for the temps, which have been in the low 100's lately, to maybe cool down with the coming of Autumn. Balmy days, cool nights, perfect detailing weather.

With Fall, I elect to just use a light grade clay and a paint cleaner (Four Star UPC, PoorBoys Pro Polish, One Grand Special Touch. I will take the UDM with a Black Erasure pad, and go over the entire car at a medium clip, about 3-4 on the speed setting. Im not looking for swirl removal with either pad or product, just cleansing the paint of light fallout and stains.
Then I will opt for UPP as my base, and UPPS on a monthly basis to help protect the UPP. After washes I go with Freedom One for additional slickness, which helps retard fallout, bird stains, and sap. Sound confusing? It may to those unfamiliar with proper car care, but trust me, its all very reasonable as well as functional.
One shouldnt forget the interior surfaces with the exit of Summer. Just because the temps cooled down a bit, doesnt mean your exempt from U.V degredation. So keep your interior leather, vinyls and plastic trim peices protected with your favored interior dressing/products. Many of us use 303 Aerospace Protectant to deter any U.V. penetration which makes it through the windows. A very low gloss, low sheen product, and one of the better U.V. inhibitors available anywhere. Another excellent product manufactured by Optimum Car Car is there Protectant Plus, recenly reformulated, the original version is on closeout. Differences between the two? The newer version is slightly thicker, and has a light leather scent to it. Both offer outstanding protection and low to medium gloss/sheen.
Lastly, the onset of cooler temps, allows more flexability with products, and hopefully a greater ease of use. One such task that can be difficult in warm weather is trim restoration. This task should be performed with a great deal of patience, and patience in the heat (in my world) dont go well together. Your going to need to apply painters tape, may need some paint cleaner for removal of stains. And if your trim has really been neglected, you may need an additional application of Showroom New Detail Dyes. Dont forget the mini supreme microfiber towels. Theres nothing worse then having a huge 1616 sized microfiber in your hand, when a cheaper ($.69) 6x6 towel will work p e r f e c t l y for this task.

As with everything at Exceldetail.com, if you should ever have any questions, feel free to post here, or email, even call me. I'd be happy to answer any questions or help clear any confusion.
And you can trust everyone here (which is rare on most forums) for accurate appraisals and remedies of your particluar situation. Great forum this Wash and Wax has turned into, and Im proud to be a part of it, as should most of its contributors.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:15 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Pat, anything special if i drive in a TON of salt / sand conditions in the winter?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gloss, Sheen 303 Aerospace vs Optimum products

[QUOTE=exceldetail]Many of us use 303 Aerospace Protectant to deter any U.V. penetration which makes it through the windows. A very low gloss, low sheen product, and one of the better U.V. inhibitors available anywhere. Another excellent product manufactured by Optimum Car Car is their Protectant Plus, recently reformulated, the original version is on closeout. Differences between the two? The newer version is slightly thicker, and has a light leather scent to it. Both offer outstanding protection and low to medium gloss/sheen.

A few questions:
You describe 303 as a very low gloss, low sheen product and the Optimum products as low to medium/gloss sheen. Would you say that the Optimum products produce a finish slightly more glossy or somewhat more glossy surface than 303? Is there anything than one can do to reduce the gloss/sheen of the Optimum products?

On another subject in the same message, you mentioned Freedom One and link to their Waterless Wash. How does Freedom One compare to ONR for washing a car in the garage in the winter, say after spraying off the worse dirt at one of the DIY places?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lusid
Pat, anything special if i drive in a TON of salt / sand conditions in the winter?
Lusid, Collinite 476 has proven itself on the east coast. Very durable product, and detergent proof.....Rinse often also. If you can weaken the chloride in the salt, its less corrosive..
Old 08-25-2007, 12:53 AM
Former Sponsor

A few questions:
You describe 303 as a very low gloss, low sheen product and the Optimum products as low to medium/gloss sheen. Would you say that the Optimum products produce a finish slightly more glossy or somewhat more glossy surface than 303? Is there anything than one can do to reduce the gloss/sheen of the Optimum products?
Yes, the Optimum is slightly more glossy then the 303. Between those two products one could cover full spectrum appearance for interior work. Either low gloss, or medium gloss usually satisfies most.

On another subject in the same message, you mentioned Freedom One and link to their Waterless Wash. How does Freedom One compare to ONR for washing a car in the garage in the winter, say after spraying off the worse dirt at one of the DIY places?
Its (Freedom One) perfect after a quick rinse, either at home (weather permitting) or the corner pressure wash station. Plus, it leaves it very slick providing you have a base coat underneath. Its WAY slicker then the NRWS. The NRWS really excels (No pun intended) in safe debris removal. Its also safer on more dirtier surfaces, as your using either a sheepskin or pressurized portable wash technique (my preferred method).
The Freedom One contains slickening agents which also deter dust adhesion. But your using just whats in the spray bottle, plus a MF.
I sue the NRWS on dirtier details where water may be an issue. I use the Freedom One when its light dirt and dust.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Optimum protectant and NRWS

Pat, thanks for the response.

Looks like NRWS would be the product for me. Cars can get awfully grubby in the Chicago area in winter. I have a mister/sprayer and will try using that method.