Suggestions on how to get car washed durring the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions on how to get car washed durring the winter?

Im trying to figure out a good way to get my car washed without getting spiderwebs in the paint. I dont want to take it to any place that has brushes and my hose at hope can't be used for obvious reasons. Soooo any suggestions?
Old 12-21-2009, 10:28 PM
KBPftmfw

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Optimium No Rinse Wash & Shine. See the link below.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...ve-thread.html
Old 12-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Instructor

^ ONR is also a fast way to clean your car as well, at least once you get the hang of it.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:13 AM
Racer

Thanks! never even knew this stuff existed, but with all of the salt and sand i dunno how safe i would feel with it, would it matter
Old 12-22-2009, 02:22 AM
Instructor

ONR, two bucket method, grit guard, and extra wash mits if you are especially paranoid.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
As long as you pre-treat the surface first, you should be alright with ONR. I went to one of those do it yourself car washes and used the high pressure (water only) just to rinse off the major stuff. Then I went home and used ONR and it turned out great. I love that stuff.

This is how I used it - https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/my-1st-experience-optimum-nrws-709266/

Here is a very good write up from a member on ONR
https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/optimum-no-rinse-wash-shine-review-pics-384012/
Old 12-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by MD03CL-S
As long as you pre-treat the surface first, you should be alright with ONR. I went to one of those do it yourself car washes and used the high pressure (water only) just to rinse off the major stuff. Then I went home and used ONR and it turned out great. I love that stuff.

This is how I used it - https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709266

Here is a very good write up from a member on ONR
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384012
+1^.. I'd highly suggest going to a self-serve wash and spray off everything you can off the paint, then do the ONR method with 2 buckets (I usually have 4-5 buckets depending on how dirty the car is since you want to change the rinse water often... I find it easier to bring 4 rinse buckets at once then empty them out at once later than going back and forth). Water in rinse buckets needs to be changed often so you don't go back to the paint with a dirty mitt. Otherwise it's a very good method and shouldn't swirl the much more than a regular 2-bucket wash.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:44 AM
KBPftmfw

Originally Posted by blackasscls
Thanks! never even knew this stuff existed, but with all of the salt and sand i dunno how safe i would feel with it, would it matter
I'm in Ohio so I know how you feel. Like others said, wash with 2 buckets and 2 mitts. Have a 3rd bucket for your wheels. Let the ONR do the work and don't scrub the car when you wash it.

I know it sounds crazy to not have to drag out a hose and soak your car, but, ONR is the real deal. For the year 2009 I dragged the hose out a total of 2 times to wash my car. Every other time I washed my car (1-2x per week) was done with ONR. I have no more swirls in my clear than when I bought my car used.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 95oRANGEcRUSH
I'm in Ohio so I know how you feel. Like others said, wash with 2 buckets and 2 mitts. Have a 3rd bucket for your wheels. Let the ONR do the work and don't scrub the car when you wash it.

I know it sounds crazy to not have to drag out a hose and soak your car, but, ONR is the real deal. For the year 2009 I dragged the hose out a total of 2 times to wash my car. Every other time I washed my car (1-2x per week) was done with ONR. I have no more swirls in my clear than when I bought my car used.
I agree... for the warmer months in Chicago, I switched from washing it once a week with a regular 2-bucket method to washing with ONR 2-3 times per week. This way the stuff you're removing isn't big dirt, which reduces potential for swirl marks, and doing it more often simply keeps the car cleaner without letting it get too dirty and in need of a big wash. Once or so a month depending on how the weather is I'll give it a thorough wash just to get into the wheels wells and underside pretty well, otherwise it's ONR all the way.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:44 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
wow this is new to me too. you guys do this at home during winter? wouldnt the soapy water freeze on your driveway? so far what i do during winter is go to the DIY car wash, do not use the brush of course but first use high pressure soap, then use the pre-soak, soak 1/2 the car & scrub w/ my own sponge or mitts, do the other half, high pressure wax rinse and end with low pressure spotless rinse. It is often way below freezing so i leave the car in the stall & dry with a chamois. Someone slap me if I'm doing something wrong.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Instructor

the nice thing about ONR is that you dont need to do it in your driveway because it uses much less water. so you get to do it in the warmth of your garage without worrying about water getting all over the place. also if your looking at environmental friendly detailing or just a lower water bill, ONR has you covered.

that being said I still enjoy doing an old school carwash but I bought one of those boars hair brushes and carwashes are a snap with that thing and the extendable pole.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Izzy-Type-S
wow this is new to me too. you guys do this at home during winter? wouldnt the soapy water freeze on your driveway? so far what i do during winter is go to the DIY car wash, do not use the brush of course but first use high pressure soap, then use the pre-soak, soak 1/2 the car & scrub w/ my own sponge or mitts, do the other half, high pressure wax rinse and end with low pressure spotless rinse. It is often way below freezing so i leave the car in the stall & dry with a chamois. Someone slap me if I'm doing something wrong.
The only thing I would be concerned about is what exact product they use for the soap and "wax." You really don't know if when you use the high pressure soap if it's removing any previous protection you may have had on your paint. Same with the wax. It kind of confuses me with a "high pressure wax"...I always thought the wax should go on gently.

Also, I would get something better to dry with than a chamois. I have a few Excel Waffle Weave Drying towels and they are great.

Seem to be currently sold out right now - http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...9280&pd=133820
Old 12-22-2009, 01:38 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks for the info. I guess the wax thing is just like the high pressure rinse & they say they add a wax in it. I know this isnt like a high quality product, I just figured I'd use it instead of regular high pressure rinse. After winter I'm having a local guy do a really good buff & wax because I do have some swirls now. I will look up the Waffle Weave Drying towels....you have a dark car right & it works well on that? ...cant see it in the snow
Old 12-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the info. I guess the wax thing is just like the high pressure rinse & they say they add a wax in it. I know this isnt like a high quality product, I just figured I'd use it instead of regular high pressure rinse. After winter I'm having a local guy do a really good buff & wax because I do have some swirls now. I will look up the Waffle Weave Drying towels....you have a dark car right & it works well on that? ...cant see it in the snow
Yea nearly all rinse-less car wash places will have extremely strong soaps/cleaners that you can say bye to any protection within 1-3 washes. This is why during winter I'll take the car to the rinse-less wash but choose the basic wash with no wax, etc., then give it a good ONR wash at home, and always finish with a layer of sealant.

As for the local guy doing a buff and wax for you after winter, just make sure you do your research on a good detailer and don't waste money on anyone with a polisher and a few cars under their belt. Too many of my clients come after someone screws up their car completely and few end up in court after. Just make sure you do thorough research on a local detailer... this forum is a pretty good place to start, autopia forum is even better.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes I have Anthracite and the Waffle Weave works great on my car.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW! I never heard of this ONR stuff. I will have to read up some more.

Personally, in my last two houses I installed a hot & cold water line in my garage. It has a mixing valve so I can adjust the amount of hot water. Living in New England, I have washed my car in temps down to about 15 degrees and it works great. I wear insulated, forearm length rubber gloves and a warm hat! I use a regular sponge or sometimes the washing brush on a stick. Sometimes it freezes to the car and it helps to keep the car running with full heat & defrost on. Then after a final rinse I pull it in my garage which never gets below say 45 degrees. My neighbors think I am crazy but I LOVE a clean car - especially in the Winter because it is such a contrast to all the other salt wagons on the road.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:08 PM
KBPftmfw

If you use a touchless car wash be prepared to have your lsp stripped off. A touchless wash relies upon strong chemicals and pressure to clean your car. Acura even had a bulletin about touchless washes using acid (hydroflouric or hydrochloric, can't remember which) and it creates issues with glass.

I just used ONR today and I had a pretty salty ride and now the KBP is blingin'. Hit up Pat and grab yourself some ONR and Google a few videos for a tutorial. Once you get ONR down it will really simplify cleaning your car.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Racer

Looks like I'll have to try this ONR stuff out, i'm really left with no choice and it sounds like it does a really good job. Normally even in the summer I wash my car in the garage(keep it in the shade) but with a frozen hose it wont really do me much good. I figure the high pressure wash is a good place to start and then take care of the rest with this stuff.

Bostonbob I truly am jealous of your hot water installation, I wanted to instal that in my garage but didn't get around to it.