Stoneguard...whatcha think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Stoneguard...whatcha think?

Hi guys...quick question.

I have ready all the FAQs and posts regarding car care on this board. (Great board by the way...I have an RSX Type S but will hopefully be moving on to an '05 or 06 TL sometime in the future) and I was wondering how you guys feel about the 3M stoneguard?

I love my cars, but drive them hard. I have an RSX bra but never put it on (its one of the most convoluted and ugliest bras I have ever seen). So my front end needed some TLC and I have an appointment to get her looked after next month. But my Acura dealership recommended the 3M stoneguard. Would you guys recommend it?

Can I wax over the stoneguard like regular paint?
Does it haze?
How long does it last?

Forgive my ignorance. I love cars but never have the time to spend on them that I would like. Everone here seems so informed I feel a little ignorant.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've asked some questions I had about it myself.

Anybody have any experience with it?
Old 03-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes you can wax over it. Just keep an eye on the area where the 3M ends and the paint begins. That's where you get the build up of dirt and/or wax. Do not polish the clearbra with any abrassive polish.

Does what haze ?...the wax ? Or the 3M film ?
It should not haze if installed correctly and should last the life of your car.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:55 PM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Auto Mask:
Porsche invented the fabric auto mask in the late sixties, when the factory still individually road tested every car, and because they used the local roads around the factory, a temporary fabric mask was put on the car, to protect the new paint.

It was never intended to be permanent, because no matter how careful you are, no matter how clean you keep your car, the fabric bra will eventually cause a tremendous amount of paint damage as they trap dust and road grit and vibrate in the wind. They also cause uneven fading because the paint underneath them is not exposed to sunlight like the rest of the vehicle.

A more viable alternative is a pressed, polished thermoplastic vinyl (X-Pel, Amour Glove, 3M) made from an optically clear 12-Mil clear film that has been treated not to ‘yellow’, its virtually indestructible in normal use that adherer’s to the cars paint surface. Available in custom, laser cut templates that are available for virtually all car models, and many parts of the car.

Maintenance- polish the paint and the clear plastics separately, tape the edges with masking tape. It has a clear coat so it can be cared for like a clear coated paint; use Plexus for maintenance and to remove any finger marks / smudges
JonM
Old 03-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

I have the Stongard on my car and love it. It has been on for two years with no problems. I wax over it just like the rest of the car and it looks great. They say that 3M won't faid so I guess we will see.