Splash Guards Warning and Fix.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003 | 09:21 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Splash Guards Warning and Fix.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=120197

This is for all of you with the OEM Honda-Acura dealer splash guards. Please see url above.

To prevent any damage I like to cut automotive film and use it to protect the sheetmetal on the fender.

www.griotsgarage.com sells many types of automotive protections films. Others site due as well.

I'm Zaino-ing my sister's Accord EXV6 Sedan for the Chigago meet. I'll take pics tomorrow as I will install some film on her fenders to prevent this type of damage. I'll post pics of the process in this thread later on this weekend.

Hope this helps.
-MrChad
Old 07-25-2003 | 09:27 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Thanks.

What about the problem of dirt and salt getting trapped in there. Could it be a possible source of rusting??
Old 07-25-2003 | 09:31 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally posted by fdl
Thanks.

What about the problem of dirt and salt getting trapped in there. Could it be a possible source of rusting??
Salt and dirt just act as an abrasive. The rust comes when the guard and dirt have eaten the paint away. If you clean the sheet metal and install a clear protective automotive film the dirt and guard will eat the film and not your paint. Then every now and again remove the guard, clean the fender and apply new film. (autofilms remove and are safe.) This could be done once a year when you do major wax and clean to your car. Or more often if you are obsess over this stuff like me.
Old 07-25-2003 | 09:34 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by MrChad
Salt and dirt just act as an abrasive. The rust comes when the guard and dirt have eaten the paint away. If you clean the sheet metal and install a clear protective automotive film the dirt and guard will eat the film and not your paint. Then every now and again remove the guard, clean the fender and apply new film. (autofilms remove and are safe.) This could be done once a year when you do major wax and clean to your car. Or more often if you are obsess over this stuff like me.

I hear ya,

looking forward to your pics and intructions.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2003 | 04:51 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Washed my car today and pulled off the splash guards. There were some marks and dirt..but luckily it all wiped away. My car only has 1500km.

I'll leave them off for now untill I know how to put them back on safely.
Old 07-27-2003 | 06:43 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Its raining cats and dogs up here so I haven't taken pics yet of my install on my sister's Accord.

I would suggest purchasing a sheet of headlight/foglight film from
www.griotsgarage.com

I then traced the outline of the splashguard on the film. Then I installed the film on the fenders and re-installed the guards. Easy as pie.
Old 07-27-2003 | 08:51 PM
Having Fun?

Yup I had the same problem on my '02 TLS:

Old 08-30-2003 | 08:58 PM
Racer

BUMP

I took off my splash guards at around 500 miles and i did notice that the splash guards scrached its way though the paint into the metal body sheets. The damage wasn't bad, but i can only imagine what the splash guards could have done if i have left them on there longer.

I originally took them off because i didn't splash guards look good on a light color car. I was about to start a new thread, but i search for splash guards and found this thread. imo, teh car looks better without splash guards.
Old 08-31-2003 | 11:38 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by tehCOW
BUMP

I took off my splash guards at around 500 miles and i did notice that the splash guards scrached its way though the paint into the metal body sheets. The damage wasn't bad, but i can only imagine what the splash guards could have done if i have left them on there longer.

I originally took them off because i didn't splash guards look good on a light color car. I was about to start a new thread, but i search for splash guards and found this thread. imo, teh car looks better without splash guards.

Ya, I took mine off at about 1000 kms and there were some light marks which came right off. I got to it early and have since left the splash guards off. Origionally I wanted to put them back on with a clear protective plastic underneath as chad suggested but now I am thinking of just leaving them off for good. Not sure ... but winter is around the corner and I will have to decide by then.

BTW....kudos on using the search function on this site properly!
Old 08-31-2003 | 12:47 PM
Racer

If you just leave your mudguards on and never plan to take them off, then your fine right?
Old 08-31-2003 | 04:08 PM
Having Fun?

Originally posted by LOL888
If you just leave your mudguards on and never plan to take them off, then your fine right?
No, because once/if they eat through the clearcoat into paint and down to metal it will be a spot of premature rust.

If you must keep them on I would suggest getting a clear bras/stongard material put behind them, and regularly wash behind them.
Old 08-31-2003 | 04:47 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

If you do leave them on, then maybe you should make sure to wash underneath them from time to time, especially in the winter when salt and dirt can build up.
Old 09-19-2003 | 04:02 AM
LAU
6th Gear

Newbie alert:

I got splash guard with my TSX which i bought recently... how hard is it to pull off the splash guard?
Old 09-19-2003 | 05:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by LAU
Newbie alert:

I got splash guard with my TSX which i bought recently... how hard is it to pull off the splash guard?
It isn't hard. There should just be a few bolts or plastic pop-rivets.

Also, for those of you that want to keep them. There is an EASY fix. Go to any automotive supply place and pick up some double sided adhesive tap (same stuff they put some of the emblems on with). Cut some strips and adhere them onto the splash guards (clean the splash guards with a strong cleaner and let dry). The dbl sided tape will act as a custion and prevent the guard from vibrating.

**Note: If you didn't understand where to put the tape: It should adhere such that the lip of the guard that touches the paint has a very small part of the tape on it with most of the tape being on the inside of the guard. You should not be able to see most of the tape from the "show" side of the guard.
Old 09-19-2003 | 07:50 AM

thanks for the heads up mr.chad. i'm going to remove my splashguards when i get home today. i'm planning to install the oem kit later on so hopefully that'll cover up any scartches left by the guards.
Old 09-19-2003 | 07:55 AM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Oh crap , the guards came on the car when I got it, but I never thought they would do any damage. Time to remove them this weekend.

-r
Old 09-19-2003 | 08:01 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I've had mine on for nearly 15,000km. Correct me if I'm wrong but is'nt the area behind the rear tires where the splash guards stay (rear bumper) plastic? So there no chance of rusting in that area right?

Now I can see how the front guards could easliy cause rusting. fdl, I think they sell Automotive film at Crappy Tire?
Old 09-19-2003 | 06:05 PM
LAU
6th Gear

sorry another newbie question:

(uh... this is my frist car I purchased.. and never a car fanatic.. until a couple months ago when i was trying to decide on what car to buy)

if I wanna remove the splash guard all i need is a screw driver? is putting it back on hard?

do i need a lot of force to pull out the pegs and stuff?

sorry... for this newbie stuff.. but everybdoy gotta start somewhere.
Old 09-19-2003 | 06:05 PM
LAU
6th Gear

Old 09-19-2003 | 06:50 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by LAU
sorry another newbie question:

(uh... this is my frist car I purchased.. and never a car fanatic.. until a couple months ago when i was trying to decide on what car to buy)

if I wanna remove the splash guard all i need is a screw driver? is putting it back on hard?

do i need a lot of force to pull out the pegs and stuff?

sorry... for this newbie stuff.. but everybdoy gotta start somewhere.
Its not hard, its very easy. All you will need is a screwdriver (philipshead i believe). There isnt alot of room between the tire and the wheel well so you will either need to turn your wheels while you do it, or use a very stubby screwdriver. You can actually buy L shapped screw drivers (kinda like allen keys) which work great for this type of thing.

And most importantly...here are the exact detailed instructions on how to install splash guards ...

https://www.hondacuraworld.com/Merch...lashguards.pdf

Enjoy.
Old 09-20-2003 | 10:09 AM
LAU
6th Gear

fdl:

thanks you very much this is very useful
Old 10-20-2003 | 12:25 AM
Racer

to take off the splashguard do you just basically unscrew all the screws n then pop your done? or is there any other precautions to take?
Old 10-20-2003 | 07:05 AM

yup, just unscrew all the screws and screw them back in. i took mines off a few weeks ago and had no probs since.
Old 10-23-2003 | 10:11 AM
Former Audio Mod

Originally posted by dabuda2004
yup, just unscrew all the screws and screw them back in. i took mines off a few weeks ago and had no probs since.
Good stuff. I'd like to do mine soon too. Anyone know if I can complain to the dealer about this? It seems like we shouldn't have to do this, especially when the splash guards are there to protect your car and you pay extra for them.
Old 10-30-2003 | 03:41 PM
Instructor

I got the spash guards for free, but I removed them right after I red this tread. THanks for the advice