Slightly OT: Window Tint Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 12:48 PM
BRH
BRH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slightly OT: Window Tint Problem?

Not sure if this is even a problem, but if it is, I think that I'm in the right place..... Two days ago I had Llumar ATR Charcoal window tint installed on my TSX. The installer cautioned me that I might see some haze or condenstaion for the first 2-3 weeks and that it's nothng normal and that it will clear up by itself.

Well, I'm seeing something on the two front windows, but I wouldn't describe it as haze or condensation. It looks more like dirty water was splashed onto the glass, and not cleaned off properly. I thought that it was on the outside of the window, but cleaning the outside of the glass didn't help. So -- it's either on the tint itself or on the inside of the glass below the tint. I'm worried that the installer may have done a poor job in prepping the glass before installing....

I have not touched the tint because it's only been two days, but in another day or two, I want to try and clean it. So, I have a few questions:

1) Will it be safe to try and clean the inside of the window (ie - the tint) in a few days? What should I use to do this? I'm told that Invisible Glass would not harm the tint.

2) If I can't clean it up, and its something between the tint and the inside glass, is this a problem, or am I merely seeing the "haze and condensation" that will clear itself up in 2-3 weeks? I pictured haze and condensation to be fairly uniformly distributed on the glass. This is more like a dirty water mark swirl.

Any thoughts on this from those who have had tint installed would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Instructor

i just had tint put on my TL last week...i was told not to roll the windows down for 3 days and not to wash the inside of the windows for 30 days. you might want to hold off...in case you cause the tint to slide out of place.

i have very minor bubbles in spots...barely know they are there unless you look for 'em...and a few small patches of haziness that looks like moisture.

the installer DID, however, spray lots of crap all over that got on the dash, seats, and windshield...a soapy spray or something.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
If its dirty water under the tint then you wont be able to clean it without removing the tint anyways.
If thats the case then bring it back and show them but i would wait a few weeks.

Lifetime warranty im guessing?
Old 08-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the first things they'll do is clean the inside of the windows creating a sterile surface. Installers use a variety of lubricants to aid in the installation of window film. Give it a couple more days to cure and try to park it outside in the sun. Usually 7-10 days depending on weather conditions. Invisible glass will not hurt your tint, it's the cleaners with ammonia that do more harm than good.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:11 PM
BRH
BRH

Thanks to all for the replies.

Yes -- I have lifetime warranty, and the car is parked in the sun all day everyday. That's why I got the tint in the first place.

I'll give it a few weeks to see if it goes away. If not, I'll bring it back.

My installer sprayed his solution all over the place too -- Thankfully mostly on the outside of the car (Don't ask me how that happened...). It needed a good wash after that, and came off easily.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:50 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same thing happen with my tint, but after I let it cure for a few weeks I tried cleaning it with Stoners and it wiped all away. It's probably just residue from them putting on the tint.