Silver TSX Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Silver TSX Detailing

I just got my 06 TSX at the beginning of last November. I'm preparing to do a full detail and need some recommendations and help. I've been reading the car care FAQs and I'm picking up a great deal of information. First off when I first got the car I read the wash FAQ located on the forums. Since then I've been using the sheep skin mits, two buckets, Meguiars NXT car wash, and a microfiber drying towel. Now I need to purchase some products for a full detail. What products should I use for a silver TSX.

1) For the dash, rubber seals, etc. - 303 Protectant
2) Wheel Cleaner - I've been using Meguiars Hot Wheels, but I'm looking for something with better results.
3) Tire Cleaner - I've been using a product from Meguiars. Anything better?
4) Leather Protectant/Cleaner - ??? It seems Lexol and Zaino are fairly popular around here
5) Polish/Wax - What's the recommendation for silver paint?
6) Clay bar - I'm new to this, so I'm a little afraid of this process. Should I be using a fine grain bar?

Now a couple of questions about the polish/wax process...

After washing, drying, and using clay bar with lubricant what next? Do I go straight to waxing or do I need to apply a polish or paint cleaner first. BTW I plan to wax by hand, not with any power tools.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks...
Steve
Old 05-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by spyork
5) Polish/Wax - What's the recommendation for silver paint?
I have an '06 TSX as well (and an '05 Silver TL before that). I would recommend Four Star UPP for the sealant and Protect All as a booster. You will get a lot of pop and depth with this combo.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by micvog
I have an '06 TSX as well (and an '05 Silver TL before that). I would recommend Four Star UPP for the sealant and Protect All as a booster. You will get a lot of pop and depth with this combo.
Agreed Michael.

For the dash, rubber seals, etc. - 303 Protectant Perfect.
2) Wheel Cleaner - I've been using Meguiars Hot Wheels, but I'm looking for something with better results. Thats fine. All wheel cleaners are very safe, and come highly recommended. Just use periodically and you'll never need anything stronger.
3) Tire Cleaner - I've been using a product from Meguiars. Anything better? Dont clean them! The less you clean them, the better your tire dressing will perform, and less likely you'll even need constant dressing. Just wash with your auto soap and a brush at the end, then wipe dry. Dress when needed.
4) Leather Protectant/Cleaner - ??? It seems Lexol and Zaino are fairly popular around here. Big fan of Duragloss and Four Star leather care items......
5) Polish/Wax - What's the recommendation for silver paint? Four Star Swirl Mark Remover (very light polish) or Four Star Body Shop light cut compound. As Mic said, Four Star UPP is hard to beat. 1z Glanz wax is very very (Ok, exceptional) nice.
6) Clay bar - I'm new to this, so I'm a little afraid of this process. Should I be using a fine grain bar? That would be a good start, the medium grade bars are fine if you plan on polishing afterwards.

After washing, drying, and using clay bar with lubricant what next? Do I go straight to waxing or do I need to apply a polish or paint cleaner first. BTW I plan to wax by hand, not with any power tools.
Ah, ok, by hand. Another recommendation then. 1Z Metallic Polish is an all in one type of product. Excellent cleaning and polishing capabilites, as well as above average protectant from both a Nuba and Polymer. Ive been using the 1z for a few months now and have absolutely loved it. Every now and then I get in a tough position and have to combine with an Optimum polish. But all in all, 1Z is fabulous.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the replies guys.... What are your opinions on Zaino? It looks like a fairly easy process to follow, and it can easily be applied by hand. Are there any negatives in regards to using Zaino? Thanks...
Old 05-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks...
Steve
The process would be
  • polish - will give the paint reflectivity and gloss
  • seal - using either a wax/synthetic
Thanks for the replies guys.... What are your opinions on Zaino? It looks like a fairly easy process to follow, and it can easily be applied by hand. Are there any negatives in regards to using Zaino? Thanks...
I think Zaino is a great product in terms of durability and longevity. I also feel there are other products capable of creating the shine and gloss of Zaino. Regardless of what products are used, it comes down to one thing - surface prep.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:20 PM
2010 TL SH-AWD 6MT

So I finally used the clay bar and put down a coat of wax yesterday.. I am new to the whole process, so I must say that the above replies stem from much more experienced people.

Here's what my three hour process entailed:

1) Wash and dry
2) Meguiars clay bar with lubricant
3) Wash and dry again to get rid of clay/lubricant residue
4) Meguiars Cleaning Wax applied by hand
5) Hand buff with microfiber
6) Admire the shine of my first wax job

Are you guys suggesting that for next time I use a polish to get rid of the clay residue, and then wax?

Last edited by 2young2own; 05-07-2007 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:12 PM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Meguiars cleaning wax?? Is that a paint cleaner/wax?

If you doing all this by hand I wouldn't recommend polishing by hand. Arms will fall off and will be un consistant.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 2young2own
So I finally used the clay bar and put down a coat of wax yesterday.. I am new to the whole process, so I must say that the above replies stem from much more experienced people.

Here's what my three hour process entailed:

1) Wash and dry
2) Meguiars clay bar with lubricant
3) Wash and dry again to get rid of clay/lubricant residue
4) Meguiars Cleaning Wax applied by hand
5) Hand buff with microfiber
6) Admire the shine of my first wax job

Are you guys suggesting that for next time I use a polish to get rid of the clay residue, and then wax?
This is pretty much a normal routine that's given to everyone. A complete exterior detail can average anywhere from 3-6 hours depending on the condition of the painted surface. And this is done with a machine. The basic process for exteriors consist of
  • Wash - removes loose dirt, road debris and surface contaminants
  • Clay - removes bonded contaminants like brake dust, rail dust and industrial fallout (IFO)
  • Polish - removes surface defects i.e. swirls, light scratches, oxidation and will also add gloss and reflectivity to the paint
  • Seal - using a wax (natural or synthetic) to act a barrier to protect your paint and all the work you previously did.

A 2nd wash isn't necessary after claying and most polishes/cleaners will remove any clay residue. But if you feel more comfortable with a wash, that's strictly your choice.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Cruisin'

What do you guys use on the black plastic parts on the exterior of the car (black strips around windshield, top of car above doors, etc.)? 303 Protectant? Also what about the flat black areas between the front and back doors?
Old 05-10-2007, 03:09 PM
TSX

I have a SSM TSX and have done a full detail. Search for my detail in this section...