SHOWDOWN: Pinnacle Black Onyx Gel v. Poorboy's Bold N Bright v. Optimum Tire Shine

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 02:35 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SHOWDOWN: Pinnacle Black Onyx Gel v. Poorboy's Bold N Bright v. Optimum Tire Shine

Hello my fellow AZiners, I recently received sample bottles of tire dressings and thought to myself that there's no better way to compare them than in an old fashion showdown. My go to tire dressing has been Poorboy's B&B for about 9 months now and have gotten great results. As great as it is, my curiosity got me thinking how well it could compare to other tire dressings that I've heard great things about by the pro's in this great forum. Well, lets get started.

Please excuse my dirty car and wheel. I had no motivation to do a full wash on my car and was just anxious to get started with the showdown. First things first, no tire dressing touches my tires without the tire being properly cleaned. I did a thorough cleaning using Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner until white suds confirmed it was ready to go.

Dried the tire using my Metro Blaster Sidekick. It was dry in seconds.

Using painter's tape, I divided the tire into 3 sections and cut a stained but clean foam applicator into 3 pieces to make sure not to cross contaminate between dressings. This pic shows 1 coat of each dressing applied to the tire.

The following pics are 50/50 shots of the dressings. Each section of the tire has 2 coats of dressing.

I'll be updating this thread as the days go by so keep checking in if you're interested in the results.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I guess the tell tale will be which lasts for the most washes. Keep us posted with pix after each wash .
Old 02-25-2013, 08:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 151 Likes on 145 Posts
I'm an optimum guy myself, mostly because it is water and not silicone based.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Ive tried every tire gel on the market, the absolute best for durability, extreme wet shine look, is the meguires purple tire gel, smells like grapes too.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
From just purely looks, I like the way the optimum looks best.

Personally I use black magic tire foam on my tires and am mostly pleased.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I guess the tell tale will be which lasts for the most washes. Keep us posted with pix after each wash .
That's the plan. I doubt any of them will last longer than one wash though but we shall see.
Originally Posted by mY sLOW UA6
I'm an optimum guy myself, mostly because it is water and not silicone based.
On first impression Optimum looked better than the rest.
Originally Posted by OntheJob
Ive tried every tire gel on the market, the absolute best for durability, extreme wet shine look, is the meguires purple tire gel, smells like grapes too.
I haven't tried it. Have you done a review on it? I'd love to see it.
Originally Posted by ntwillie1
From just purely looks, I like the way the optimum looks best.

Personally I use black magic tire foam on my tires and am mostly pleased.
Good eye. I know it's hard to see in the pics but in person, Optimum produced the best shine compared to the other products.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts

I might have to 2nd this. I've tried all sorts of products and keep coming back to the Megs. The grape smell isn't bad either.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I might have to 2nd this. I've tried all sorts of products and keep coming back to the Megs. The grape smell isn't bad either.
Are you guys talking about the Megs Endurance tire spray? That's the only purple bottle I found at AG. Do you have a link to it?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
The Optimum looks to have a little more shine from the side by side pics. +1 on the Meg's tire shine.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
It really is the best, any an all other tire gels even with a light rain will be gone the next day, the megs not only lasts through a week of down pours, but should you put it on, on a beautiful day the tires are the wettest looking I have ever dealt with... truly amazing.

Originally Posted by 06_TL
Are you guys talking about the Megs Endurance tire spray? That's the only purple bottle I found at AG. Do you have a link to it?
Its the Endurance tire GEL, you have to find it in the purple gel form, just looks like a clear bottle of purple liquid, its pretty thick, most pep boys and or wal mart carries it... havent seen it on the net anywhere. Not only is it cheaper on the basic price point, since you can get it in stores you are avoiding paying shipping costs on it as well, economically you cant go wrong.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 02-27-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 02-27-2013, 03:31 PM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
Currently using the Meguiar's tire gel and call me crazy but I think the Turtle Wax Ultra Wet Tire Shine spray has the better wet look. But I do think the Meguiars last longer
Old 02-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen their spray bottle.....

Originally Posted by C8N
Currently using the Meguiar's tire gel and call me crazy but I think the Turtle Wax Ultra Wet Tire Shine spray has the better wet look. But I do think the Meguiars last longer

I'm anxious to see pics!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Racer

Here's a 3 day update. I am not satisfied with the pictures as they don't look sharp to me. I didn't use my tripod on this set due to being in a hurry and wanted to take pics before the sun went down.

You can't really tell in the pictures but Pinnacle has the darkest gloss. In second place I have Poorboy's and not too far behind is Optimum. I was surprised to see more dust on Optimum's dressing compared to the other two. I will take better pictures tomorrow using my tripod. Honestly, all three dressings are holding up pretty well. You just can't lose with any of them.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Racer

Day 4 update! First, I'd like to say that I absolutely hate taking pictures of tires. Focusing in on them is a PITA and it seems like I can never get all the details in the rubber. I try to capture what I see with my eyes but that is hard to do for me. Nevertheless, I try my hardest to capture what I see so you guys can see for yourself which dressing is doing a better job.

I'll give you my thoughts on the three dressings so far after the pics.

Now for my thoughts on each dressing...

Pinnacle - No doubt this dressing is the shiniest on the day 4 but not the kind of shine I like. For some reason it produces a purplish shine on direct sunlight. You can see on some of the pictures what I'm talking about. No doubt it makes my tires shiny but it doesn't produce the darkness that I love.

Poorboy's - This dressing has really held the darkness on my tire. It is not shiny like the Pinnacle dressing but it is much more darker. My tire just looks clean and fresh. I don't know if my tire is just used to months and months of PB BnB since it's my go to dressing but it just seems to give it the best look so far. I'd also like to remind everyone that I did thoroughly cleaned my tire before applying all dressings.

Optimum - This dressing looked the best out of the gate. Had a great shine and darkness was definitely there. On day 4, however, it is a mixture of Pinnacle and PB. What I mean by that is, it has a hint of shine and darkness. It is the only dressing that has both qualities. The shine and darkness it produces isn't as shiny as Pinnacle and isn't as dark as the PB dressing. It meets both of them in the middle. Not sure if you can tell in the pictures but this dressing is also the dustiest out of the three.

I will continue to keep you guys updated. My next update will be on day 7 unless something awkward happens and have to take pictures.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Prima Nero > all
Old 03-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Prima Nero > all
??
Old 03-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Racer

Day 9 update! I think this will be the conclusion of this showoff. All 3 products did a superb job but there can only be one winner. I know it can be tough to see in pictures but here is the order of what I thought looked best.

1. Poorboy's Bold N Bright (Spray)
2. Optimum Tire Shine (Spray)
3. Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel

See for yourself and you be the judge. I just think PB BnB produced the darkest black tire with a nice sheen to it. Very inexpensive and a little goes a long way. Sounds like a winner in my book. I would also like to add i drove a total of 50 miles in the 9 days and it's been sunny the entire time.

I plan on still using other tire dressings out there including the ones I already have.

The following users liked this post:
Healingduck (03-06-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tried them all and hands down the turtle wax ultra wet tire shine is absolutely worth every penny. Try it out for yourself and you'll be impressed.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dvdpgb
Tried them all and hands down the turtle wax ultra wet tire shine is absolutely worth every penny. Try it out for yourself and you'll be impressed.
I prefer to stay away from silicone dressings.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Stop Drop and Roll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I prefer to stay away from silicone dressings.
Just curious, what's wrong with silicone dressings? And which brands do you know use silicone? I'm guessing any of the Armor-All stuff?
Old 03-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jtsangAZ
Just curious, what's wrong with silicone dressings? And which brands do you know use silicone? I'm guessing any of the Armor-All stuff?
Guessed wrong.

Nothing wrong with them .. its preference .. A lot of brands including ArmorAll make both water and silicone based ones .. Usually the clear ones can be silicone based. Milky colored are usually water born. Clear ones unless rubbed in really well have a tendency to sling because they don't dry.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jtsangAZ
Silicone dressings are more likely to sling off compared to water based dressings. They can potentially cause damage to tires if used for long periods of time. I don't have a list of silicone based dressings but they can clearly described in the back of the bottles. Silicone tire dressings may produce more of a shine and last longer but I prefer my tires to have a more sheen/matte black look. I only need them to look good for a week since I always wash my vehicles on a weekly basis.