Selecting a PC kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selecting a PC kit

i've been reading as much as i can about the PC 7424 and the vast selection of backplates, counter-balances, pads, polishes, etc that go along with it. any recommendations on the best starter kit for a first timer?

i would prefer an "all in one" kit to save on shipping and ordering from multiple vendors online, but if there is a huge benefit to piecing the kit together, then so be it.

after all of the threads and opinions i've read on here, it seems like the poorboy SSR1/SSR2/SSR2.5 would be the most flexible polish to use. i will not be doing any major restoration...standard swirl and minor scratch repair.

pads. this is the most confusing to me. the type AND quantity seems to be important (so you can continue working w/out having to wash pads inbetween, etc). is there a thread that i have missed (i've searched as much as i can!) that details exactly what pad type, size, etc should be used? the Sonus and Excel brands both have kits that are talked about a lot. ??????

the Sonus complete package goes for ~$189....there is a Poorboys package for $249...it never ends!

any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:34 AM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
I am in the same boat. But I have gobs of OTC stuff sitting in my garage. Would these products work well with the polisher? At least until they run out...

All I would be looking for would be the polisher, pads, etc... and maybe a pad cleaning agent.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Racer

This is the kit I got.

Porter Cable + bonus kit

It's $119 and has everything you need except the pads. I use Lake County pads. When you buy pads buy at least 2 of each...2 yellow, 2 white, 2 wool, etc so you can always have a clean one handy.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Racer

A little more info for you.

I bought the 6.5" pads, originally I bought the larger 7.5" pad which sucks because it's too large (unless your polishing a truck

I have 2 wool pads, 2 yellow pads and 2 white pads. That is more than enough to buy. I recently bought 2 red pads, but I use them like the white pads.

I bought my pads here: Lake County MFG pads

I use the Merzerna products (Intensive Polish, Polish II and glaze). Your not gonna see much difference between the Poorboys, Meguiers, Merzerna, and 3M stuff, most important part is the glaze (after all the scratches and defects are gone) as the glaze is what gives the paint the shine. Then you can use whatever wax you prefer with your PC.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by paradigm
i've been reading as much as i can about the PC 7424 and the vast selection of backplates, counter-balances, pads, polishes, etc that go along with it. any recommendations on the best starter kit for a first timer?

i would prefer an "all in one" kit to save on shipping and ordering from multiple vendors online, but if there is a huge benefit to piecing the kit together, then so be it.

after all of the threads and opinions i've read on here, it seems like the poorboy SSR1/SSR2/SSR2.5 would be the most flexible polish to use. i will not be doing any major restoration...standard swirl and minor scratch repair.

pads. this is the most confusing to me. the type AND quantity seems to be important (so you can continue working w/out having to wash pads inbetween, etc). is there a thread that i have missed (i've searched as much as i can!) that details exactly what pad type, size, etc should be used? the Sonus and Excel brands both have kits that are talked about a lot. ??????

the Sonus complete package goes for ~$189....there is a Poorboys package for $249...it never ends!

any input would be greatly appreciated.
I pieced it together with a PC 7336 ($109 from Lowes) and Propel pads from Exceldetail. I'm sure you know the difference between both PCs. If you're just using it for minor swirls, I think the sampler kit will work out for you. Best bet is to contact him either by calling or sending a PM.

Polishes - I have been using PB line: Pro Polish, SSR 1 & 2.5, and also Optimum polish. The optimum has a little longer working time and the pad choice dictates the cutting ability of the polish for example; use with a Propel blue for paint manetenance and cleaning, and combined with a Propel green for light swirls and scratches.

Pads - Check out this thread for Pad Aggressivness to get an idea of different pad manufacturers colors and what they are used for. Starting off I would recommend getting a light cut, medium cut and a finishing pad or a pad kit (Autopia, Exceldetail, Autogeek ) with all the trimmings. If you plan on multiple products in the future then get a second one.

One more thing you will also need MF towels for buffing and removing residual dusting. Welcome to the wonderful world of detailing.......
Old 07-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Instructor

thanks much for the info, TodaSi!

...and Hawhyen51!

Last edited by paradigm; 07-30-2006 at 12:42 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-31-2006, 03:39 PM
Instructor

well, i made the plunge and picked up a PC kit, along with a bunch of extra pads, PB SSR-1/SSR-2.5, UPP, UPPS, and a few other goodies. hopefully the stuff arrives for the weekend so i can test it out on a victim...errr....a friend's old black pickup truck. i figure that is a good test that won't cause any bad feelings if i mess up while learning.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I bought that kit too. Love it. I think CLPower referred me to this great kit!
Old 08-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Originally Posted by paradigm
well, i made the plunge and picked up a PC kit, along with a bunch of extra pads, PB SSR-1/SSR-2.5, UPP, UPPS, and a few other goodies. hopefully the stuff arrives for the weekend so i can test it out on a victim...errr....a friend's old black pickup truck. i figure that is a good test that won't cause any bad feelings if i mess up while learning.

So, which "kit" did you get, what did it come with and how much $$ was it?
Old 08-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Instructor

stogie- i picked up this one: http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html
Old 08-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Cool, thanks.

As soon as I buy a garage (with a house attached preferably) I am getting one. Apartments suck.