Scratches all over my TL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 02:22 AM
Blue is so so

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratches all over my TL!!!

I just noticed this a couple of weeks ago - there are scratches ALL over my TL. Scratches I can only see in the sunlight. And these scratches are from the car wash!! My dealer's car wash.

I used to get my car washed by a hand wash place, and there were no issues. But I think these are the types of scratches that are caused by the brush that these car washes use. These are so nasty!!!!

Can someone tell me what I can do to get rid of these??? And what I can do to avoid them??

Please recommend washing techniques and anything at all, I'm so desparate here!!

thanks so much!!!
Old 09-26-2004, 09:03 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thoes scratches you see in the sunlight are typically refured to as spiderwebbing or swirling, due to what they look like in the sun's reflection. You will find these on every car that drives outside!! It is caused from things like blowing sand, rail dust, poor washing techniques, poor washing products (ie. dirty/old mit , etc....

I'm getting ready to goo out to the local Toronto meet right now, could you get pics today? I would be glad to walk you through a way of removing the swirls however I don't have the time right now. If you could post pics of the swirls, depending on how old the car is will usually determin the severity of the damage. Also could you include a list of the products currently available to you, so we can have a good idea on the best way for you to attack the problem.

Cheers
Old 09-27-2004, 02:02 PM
Blue is so so

Hey thanks ResidualFreedom!! I will get pics ASAP - and the car is 6 months old. Its the Blue/AT/Navi.

I believe its from the car washes because everytime it comes out of one, the swirl marks get worse.

I have everything available to me in terms of cleaning products, I'm in NYC. Let me know boss!!
Old 10-07-2004, 12:06 PM
Drifting

tl soso.....Please stop using a brush car wash. They are horrible and will eventually ruin the finish on your car. Years ago, I had an Audi and took it cross country one summer. During my trip, I kept using a brush car wash, and I almost permanently ruined the finish before I realized what was happening...the car was metallic silver...so it wasn't as obvious as a dark color. There are ways to remove swirl's, but it's difficult and time consuming. The main thing is stop the brush wash now, then get some help removing the swirls. Since your car is new, and you've only done it a few times, you should be fine getting the car back to like new condition. It makes me cringe every time I see a nice car going thru one of those automatic car washes. Once, I even saw a guy with a NSX pulling up to a car wash.....almost made me cry!
Old 10-14-2004, 06:53 AM
Blue is so so

JetJock - thanks for the advice. I guess I realized this too little too late. I have the Abyss Blue Pearl, and my goodness, its 6 months old but I am not exaggerating when I say it looks about a year old. The scratches on it are horrible, thank god they only show at sunlight, but certain scratches look like they're light key scratches. Its scary what these places can do to your car. Most of them are from the dealer's car washing facility, pretty sad right?

Well, I've found this guy by my house who does a great job, he charges a little more than twice as much as regular car washes, but he's worth it for now. thanks again for the advice!
Old 10-14-2004, 02:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
you really see it on NBP cars. I hate it. What i do is get it buffed at least once or twice a year from a good detailing shop.. Take it to a hand car wash and get it waxed as well. The more you take care of it the better you protect your car from getting more of those spiderwebs scratches on your car.

Im do for a complete buff on my car. Everything time i get it done I cant see them anymore or at least it goes from visibility 90% to 25% its awesome.. O and the feel of the car is very smooth.. You cant feel the impurities thats on your car over the years

I have a NBP so you know how black is.. annoying trying to keep it clean.. Those are my advice to you.. Stop taking your car to a cheap as GAS CAR WASH for like 8 bucks.. I only took it once and i hated the outcome of it.. NEVER will i ever go there again.... I get my car clean from a detail place.. I always get compliments on how i always keep my car clean.. People cant believe it..
Old 10-14-2004, 02:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

also because the detailing place uses professional products to clean your car.. They have to be in business. The place i take it too here in VA, i always see luxury cars being detailed.. Porsche, Lexus, Mercedes, Jaguars, BMWs, and a few Acuras and Suvs..
Old 10-15-2004, 10:38 AM
Blue is so so

I am going to get it detailed in about 3 weeks now. Let me ask you a question, what is the difference between waxing and buffing??

And what does a sealer do? This guy told me all sorts of things, and you're using the same words. But I want to make sure I understand exactly what I need to get done without causing further damage or doing something useless.

thanks a LOT for ur help man!!!!!!!

1. What does waxing accomplish that buffing doesn't and vice versa and what is a sealer?

2. what other methods are there??

Old 10-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

well buffing is a process used to get deep down on the paint. Bascially think of it as a facial for our cars. It helps remove dust particles, impurities, scratches that has develop over the months. Waxing is like sun block for your paint. Protects the paint from the dangerous rays of the sun. Thats why i say to always get your car wax everytime you wash.

although buffing helps to minimize the visibility of scratches you can see some over time. Thats one down fall. But it helps from getting worse.

hoop this helps
Old 10-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

well buffing is a process used to get deep down on the paint. Bascially think of it as a facial for our cars. It helps remove dust particles, impurities, scratches that has develop over the months. Waxing is like sun block for your paint. Protects the paint from the dangerous rays of the sun. Thats why i say to always get your car wax everytime you wash. Too mush exposure of the sun without protection over the years can fade the paint and it gives a nice shine..

although buffing helps to minimize the visibility of scratches you can see some over time. Thats one down fall. But it helps from getting worse.

hope this helps
Old 10-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

but my advice get a complete detail once or twice a year... Its expensive around maybe 150 average price. Thats including with washing waxing the whole nine yards..

Once i get my body kit, spoiler, and springs installed i will have my car get a complete detail. Im due for one.. Well before i get them installed.

My car doesnt feel smooth. I can feel dust particles, impurities, roughness on my paint. I hate it..

If you never got a buff done on ur car get it... Its a must...
Old 10-15-2004, 11:47 PM
Advanced

To prevent swirls in the future and if you decide to wash the car yourself, see the sticky thread on washing your car. Exceldetail has a quick tutorial and I added some details on selecting the right tools and accessories to correctly wash your car to prevent swirls and spiderwebbing. It also states to avoid the automatic car washes at all cost.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95408

It's a long thread but worth it and comes from many years of experience.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:00 AM
Blue is so so

Jeez guys, thanks a million for the input!!!!!!!!!! I will check out this thread.... but what does a sealer do? haha

The guy around my area charges 100 bucks for a detailing job, and he's got porches, 745's, and i've even seen ferraris and other luxury/sports cars parked by him. He rents out the space from a gas station and has 2 or 3 assistants and they do really good jobs. So I just had the car washed by him for 25 bucks, I gave him a five dollar tip. It was well worth it, the car was almost new again, except for the swirls and scratches on it.

So in about 3 weeks, i'm gonna get it detailed, and I will let you guys know how it turned out.

I'm looking for a new digital camera to buy, and hopefully I'll be able to post up pictures of my abyss blue/quartz/navi for you!!

thanks!!
Old 10-16-2004, 11:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

keep us posted
Old 10-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Advanced

A high gloss sealant is what some call a synthetic wax vs. a natural carnauba wax. With technology these days, a sealant can give you that show car look of carnauba but with much better durability.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Once a year, you should prep the finish of your car before putting on your layers of waxes and polishes. After claying the car (preferably spring), have someone with a PC polisher run a minor abrasive cleaner on the clearcoat (Meg's Professional #9 or DACP #83 used by machine only). ScratchX (by hand) will only go so far, but the machine does a better job. This removes all the accumulated stuff on the paint that the clay didn't get and evens out the clearcoat removing the minor swirls. It also exposes the bare polished clearcoat and you should try not to drive the car until the sealant/ wax is applied. Most of your minor swirls will be removed if done properly. Whatever you do, don't get these so-called rubbing compounds as they WILL remove the clearcoat.

DON'T apply sealant unless you have prepped the clearcoat this way. Doing so will only put a layer of protection on top of the swirls and make them even harder to remove.

Klasse AIO can be applied to protect that prepper surface and is relatively easy even with a cheap RO polisher and can last for a few months. Sealant Glaze or wax (pure carnauba only) can then be applied to add to the depth of shine. Remember that wax wears off after a few weeks, that's why you should re-apply often (spaced apart) every year.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:08 PM
Blue is so so

1. So get the car clayed first?

2. What is claying?

3. you're saying to get it polished and then apply the wax?

4. I am assuming ScratchX is a clearcoat/claying product?
Old 10-17-2004, 05:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TL260power
also because the detailing place uses professional products to clean your car.. They have to be in business. The place i take it too here in VA, i always see luxury cars being detailed.. Porsche, Lexus, Mercedes, Jaguars, BMWs, and a few Acuras and Suvs..
TL260power,
What detailing shop do you use here in No. VA? and how often?
Also, what service would you recommend them for? Thanks!
Old 10-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by azobairi
TL260power,
What detailing shop do you use here in No. VA? and how often?
Also, what service would you recommend them for? Thanks!
this place called Car Care Services in falls church. You can find it in the yellow page book

I have been going there for about 2 1/2 years now.. I get it cleaned about 2 times a month or so.. Complete detail once or twice a year.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

well if you havent gotten a complete detail on your car in the last year thats the first thing i would do.. If you did then just get the wash and wax clean.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tl_soso
1. So get the car clayed first?

2. What is claying?

3. you're saying to get it polished and then apply the wax?

4. I am assuming ScratchX is a clearcoat/claying product?
1.) In essence, the first step in detailing your finish is to wash then clay.

2.) Claying is using a clay bar which is a must in detailing. It removes dug-in dirt and contaminants stuck on the paint/ clearcoat.

3.) Polishing (hence using polish) is bringing out the shine from the clearcoat (which is what the TL has as opposed to bare paint). Bringing out the shine can also include removing swirl marks and minor scratches from the clearcoat depending on the product used. When the polishing/ cleaning is done, then the clearcoat is in a "polished" state where it looks it's best.

You would want to "lock-in" this appearance by applying a sealant (long-term protection) that lasts for months, or a wax (short-term) that lasts for weeks. Wax can still be applied on top of a sealant (but not the other way around) which can even increase the depth of shine and add even more protection on top of what the sealant already provides. High gloss is not provided by the sealant alone. The base (bare clearcoat) has to be in good shape in order for the sealant (like Klasse) to enhance it. Otherwise, your results won't have as much impact, or as Residual Freedom says as much "pop" to it!.

4.) ScratchX is an abrasive product to remove minor swirl marks from the paint/ clearcoat. It is designed to be used by hand. There are other products out there, but some are to be used by machine. Be careful with using abrasive products as they may end up damaging the finish more than what it already has.

I think the fun of owning a nice car is the result of the efforts you put in keeping it clean and nice. It's a gratifying experience that even after a long hard day of claying, polishing, waxing, etc.. the look of your car dramatically changes (provided you did the right things).

Start with claying first, then take it from there. It is a big job tackling one panel after another, but if you are satisfied with the results and decide to end up doing the whole car, then keep going.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:45 AM
Blue is so so

Vicman !!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will report back my results within the next 3 weeks!

THANKS!
Old 10-18-2004, 01:12 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

I find that scratch-X conseals the scratch much more than it actually removes the scratch, espically if we are talking about hand application...

I used to have a pesky scratch on my rear quarter panel, which I would hide with the scratch X, however it would always come back a few weeks later after a couple of washes (this was before I was using klasse products, meguiars gold class was used ontop of the scratch).

ScratchX is a great product, but it will fill the scratch before removing it, giving the impression that the scratch was removed completly...