safe for stereo face?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
safe for stereo face?

Hello all,
This might be a silly question, but I need the wise advice of all the acurazine ppl. Im wondering what is safe to clean the stereo face (or whatever you call it). I want to get rid of the mark left by the sticker that comes when you get your car,.....have been staring at it for a month. I have some 303 protectant on the way but am not sure if I can use that on this. I got the 303 for the dash and whatever else you can use it on. Can I use the 303? Would some rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) be ok?

Thanks for suggestions in advance,
Steve
Old 10-14-2005, 09:01 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't use the 303, that will just smear it. I'd just use a little windex on a paper towel, or if thats not strong enough try some goo gone.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:26 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Goo Gone will damage the plastic of the stereo face. Hope that windex will work for you. I'd prefer a proper car window cleaner without ammonia.
I'd try this:
1) A bit of sticky tape (cellophane tape) to try to get it to stick to the residue and peel it off.
2) Blutack (the stuff that you use to stick papers or notices to walls)
3) Window cleaner without ammonia
4) Citrus-based bug and tar remover
Old 10-15-2005, 08:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by West6MT
Hello all,
This might be a silly question, but I need the wise advice of all the acurazine ppl. Im wondering what is safe to clean the stereo face (or whatever you call it). I want to get rid of the mark left by the sticker that comes when you get your car,.....have been staring at it for a month. I have some 303 protectant on the way but am not sure if I can use that on this. I got the 303 for the dash and whatever else you can use it on. Can I use the 303? Would some rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) be ok?

Thanks for suggestions in advance,
Steve
I'd try an old "trick" that I used to do with floppy disks to remove the gummed up label residue. Wrap a roll of masking tape on your hand with the sticky side out (the wide ones work best). Pat the area down and slowly roll your hand away. The glue seems to stick to the sticky side of the tape and a few "pats" will get rid of whatever residue was there.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Remember...don't use anything too abrasive. I would use a microfiber and some Plexus plastic polish. This will remove the residue and will not scratch your plastic. Plus, it has a bunch of other uses too, so you just scored a multi purpose product which not only cleans your plastic, but has a lot of other uses too!
Old 10-15-2005, 10:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the suggestions,
I will have to try the tape and/or the Pluxus stuff (if I can find it in Canada). Im waiting for some stoners window cleaner to come in along with a ton of other stuff I have ordered,......maybe that would be safe,no ammonia with a microfiber?

Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder if the 3M plastic cleaner stuff would be safe I ordered for my dad???
http://www.autogeek.net/3mplascleanp.html

Thanks,
Steve
Old 10-15-2005, 11:40 PM
ny'r residing in maine

I can tell you from personal experience that the 3m stuff is amazing. I used the professional grade cleaner then the professional grade plastic polish. It looked amazing, i had no idea that there was so much dirt around my gages, radio, clock, temp. buttons, gear shift, etc.. i even used it on the wood and everything shines like it is brand new. I have always had a problem finding a product that would clean that weird plastic on my 01 cl but the 3m stuff will be used from now on. I say give it a try and tell your pops to share.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by getright
I can tell you from personal experience that the 3m stuff is amazing. I used the professional grade cleaner then the professional grade plastic polish. It looked amazing, i had no idea that there was so much dirt around my gages, radio, clock, temp. buttons, gear shift, etc.. i even used it on the wood and everything shines like it is brand new. I have always had a problem finding a product that would clean that weird plastic on my 01 cl but the 3m stuff will be used from now on. I say give it a try and tell your pops to share.
You were using the same stuff that was in the link? Thats good to know that you can use it for all of that stuff.

Thanks,
Steve