Sad - 2006 WDP TL Never Cared For - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sad - 2006 WDP TL Never Cared For - Need Help

I've been researching cars to buy which focused me more on my husband's TL which is 3-ish years old. It's never been hand washed, never waxed, never anything. I noticed a few paint chips and planned to repair that when the weather broke.

I'm taking over his car. Plan to repair the chips/scratches, then detail it and maintain it properly. I go back/forth on buying an orbital gadget but since I'll be buying a car - I figure it might be a good investment. I'm thinking about the Griot's. As far as product - I'm overwhelmed. I'm thinking the basics are Wash, Clay, Polish, Wax? I'm trying to narrow down products for a purchase.

WASH - Optimum or Griots. And a nice washing tool.

CLAY BAR - Thought Griots in the tub. I'm reading it might not be agressive enough for tough stuff? So maybe I should get another more hard core clay. I need help here.

POLISH - Here's where I get confused. I'm reading about 4 Star UPP and Danase Wet Glaze. I'd like to try both but not sure where they go in the steps. ???

WAX - No clue.

OTHER - I think I need something to go 'over' the wax? Or use between waxings?

The car is White Diamond Pearl so I want to bring out the pearl parts
I've read different products are better for black/dark cars so I assume the same would go for whites? So whatever products I get, I want to keep the WDP color in mind. IDK if there are swirls in it. I'm afraid to look. If there are, I hope the Griots machine is powerful enough to remove them. I'm sure any swirls won't be that bad. Well, it might be. It's been through the Acura car wash a couple times.

Any advice would be appreciated. Maybe I'll order from Mr. Excel here and a little bit from Griots.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
meagain, have you read this???
Old 03-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Meagain, Read through Excel Details thread link that should help you out then you can ask more specific questions. In any case I'll briefly tackle yours now

Griots has some nice products those should be fine, or some Meguiars, Optimum etc, I know Excel sells some nice products so are are headed in the right direction. I would suggest 2 wash buckets and grit guards that go in the bottom of the buckets to trap loose dirt. Buy a very soft wash mitt and a soft microfiber drying towel. Buy a separate wash mitt for your wheels and if you really want to be anal buy a third one for the lower panels of the car that tend to get the dirtiest. I also use a separate wash bucket for my wheels, you don't want to drag a wash mitt laden with brake dust over your paint or you will get a ton of swirls. Buy a good car wash soap (liquid not powder, and no dish washing soap... it strips the wax off) Also drying your car with an improper towel will create a ton of swirls. Lucky for you, you have a White car which is one of the best colors for hiding swirls.

The griots clay is fine for what you probably need. I have used it and it is a good clay. One of my favorites to date is the Meguiars white clay that you can pick up at most auto parts stores or even wall mart. You do not want too aggressive of a clay as it will marr the paint.

For your polishing step I would recommend the PC7424 or it's also called a UDM. Meguiars now has a similiar orbital buffer and Griots I believe is essentially the same but I have never used one and have not seen the specs on it. If anything I would probably go with the PC as they are widely used in the detailing world and most write ups you will read will be using that machine. As far as polishes I like Menzerna Power Gloss Compound on an Orange Lake Country CCS pad followed by Menzerna 106ff Nano Polish on a LC CCS White pad or Meguiars M105 compound folowed by 106ff. Here is a link to some polishing videos that you will most definitely find helpful
http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html

The 4 Star UPP and Danase Wet Glaze are not polishes. Upp is a paint sealant aka Modern synthetic wax that will last longer than a typical wax. DG is simply a gloss enhancer, Not really necessary but some people like it alot. I have it, I use it periodically but when a car is properly polished it's pretty hard to get any better no matter what you top it with. 4Star upp is a good sealant and can be used as a stand along last step product. You can end there, or if you desire you can top the UPP with a coat or 2 of wax, not really necessary but we tend to get a little crazy after the detailing bug bites. As many people are on here are probably the amount of differing opinions you can get when it comes to favorite waxes or paint sealants. Just take your pick

For in between waxing you can use a quick detailer spray or a quick spray wax.

Hope this helps...Good Luck!
Old 03-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Instructor

Yes, I've read the sticky twice and the 3rd time, started zoning out. I think my brain is shutting down. Complicated world you all live in.

I'm torn between the UDM and Griot's. Conan - what you say makes sense though. Helps to have something that's more popular sometimes. I still need to look into and understand the pads.

I've not read much about Menzerna products but I'll look into it.
When you say follow by a coat or 2 of wax (over the UPP).... I'm confused because isn't UPP a sealant and wouldn't that do the same thing?

I think I'll check Costco out for the right towels, etc. Actually they have a Mothers kit right now for about $89 bucks. I don't really see much of Mothers mentioned compared to other things but....

http://.com/d3gjzy

Mostly I'm concerned about the color of the car and if there are products FOR WDP or would go along with it better. I can't even imagine how filthy it really is. I'll try to find that Meg white clay locally.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Instructor

Something's preventing me from posting links here. They're getting tweaked when I hit 'post'.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Conan, thanks for taking the first shot. Sometimes you really have to go in depth with a reply, and the first time I read it, I didnt have 10 minutes to reply with, so thanks for covering the basics......

Bold.......

Originally Posted by meagain
Yes, I've read the sticky twice and the 3rd time, started zoning out. I think my brain is shutting down. Complicated world you all live in. If it wasnt complicated, it would be boring meagain! Car care is very personal. Just as Conan has suggested the use of a product, I would have suggested another. Both would be correct, but you would probably find one more satisfactory (easier to use, more affordable, better looking etc...) This is where "personal" comes in.

I'm torn between the UDM and Griot's. Conan - what you say makes sense though. Helps to have something that's more popular sometimes. I still need to look into and understand the pads. As or the machines, all three are basically the same. They are all designed to assist the end user in easier swirl removal or minimization. Pads......I carry 5 pads in different colors. Each color has a different "feel" to it. Some are super soft and used for cleaner/waxes, glazes (DWG) or sealant application (UPP) (Red and Black). Others are more firm (Yellow/Orange and White) and are made to diminish (via attrition-rotation and pressure) the abrasives. Too soft a pad, the abrasives hide in the soft foam. Too hard, the pad will abrade them too quickly. Your pad must always support your polishes abrasives.

When you say follow by a coat or 2 of wax (over the UPP).... I'm confused because isn't UPP a sealant and wouldn't that do the same thing? Actually, yes......Alot of folks think adding a Nuba atop a sealant adds to the glow or depth of the paint. I have seen this with glazes, which are rich in oils and fillers, but i really cant notice a detectable difference. Nubas could also be used as a sacrificial layer for your sealant! I would (and do) personally add an additional layer of UPP vs. a nuba. Why not have the best x2!

I think I'll check Costco out for the right towels, etc. Actually they have a Mothers kit right now for about $89 bucks. I don't really see much of Mothers mentioned compared to other things but.... Theres a reason we dont talk a lot about Mothers.......Not that they are "bad", but theres a reason you cam here on Acurazine, isnt there? We will try to provide you with the best information based on all of our experiences. And, i have had "better" experiences, using something other than Mothers. But for that price, it may just be up your alley. You should always consider price, as a factor. I still cant figure out why people would spend more than $50.00 on a tin of wax........I just don't get it....

Mostly I'm concerned about the color of the car and if there are products FOR WDP or would go along with it better. I can't even imagine how filthy it really is. I'll try to find that Meg white clay locally. WDp has a beautiful glow when its cleaned and protected. One thing to make it stand out is spending a little time on contrasting trim pieces.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Yes, I've read the sticky twice and the 3rd time, started zoning out. I think my brain is shutting down. Complicated world you all live in.

I'm torn between the UDM and Griot's. Conan - what you say makes sense though. Helps to have something that's more popular sometimes. I still need to look into and understand the pads.

When you say follow by a coat or 2 of wax (over the UPP).... I'm confused because isn't UPP a sealant and wouldn't that do the same thing?

I think I'll check Costco out for the right towels, etc. Actually they have a Mothers kit right now for about $89 bucks. I don't really see much of Mothers mentioned compared to other things but....

Mostly I'm concerned about the color of the car and if there are products FOR WDP or would go along with it better. I can't even imagine how filthy it really is. I'll try to find that Meg white clay locally.
I'll throw in my short 2 cents worth.. The Mothers kit is for the weekender and prolly not what your looking for .. As for a PC .. I think the Griots or Meguiars Orbitals are a little more powerful. As for pads, 1 yellow , 1 orange and 2 white is enough for you.

I'll suggest the Optimum Compound & Polish because they are so noob friendly. And a sheepskin mitt and a couple of WW drying towels for after your done polishing.

Excel can set you up with the polishes & pads.. UPP or Duragloss #105 and the pads. Look into his Euro Bucket. Too bad his Euro bucket kit wasn't still available .. even at the reg. price it was a good deal.

I have a WDP and the key is clay it then polish it out to remove oxidization and as much swirling as you can then a couple of layers of the sealant .. forget a wax . And the biggest thing to making white look good is to make all the contrasting colors on it look great .. Clean windows, cleaned and dressed tires. Etc etc.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Instructor

You guys are awesome. I like it here in Wash/Wax. A bit chilled out/quiet but super informative.

Still going back/forth on the machine. Lots of information around 2006-ish on the Griots (a couple of reviews) and I'm not sure if much of the info was merely parroted after some guy found it to be more ineffectual than the PC for damage/swirl repair.
I envision using them both and in this video fantasy - like the concept of the handle position on the Griots. I think hubby's TL is in pretty good shape re-swirls and I'll likely be getting a brand new (white) Santa Fe Limited.... it's likely going to work ok.
PC really should fashion a handle that'll attach in the holes on each side.
**** Excel, would the pads you sell work with the Griots?

I totally agree on the black/white contrast thing which is why I'm drawn to only the white Santa Fe with it's black bottom cladding & no chrome around windows, etc.
I want to get something for the black parts - esp. the rubber around the windows. Mine disintegrated on me in my old car!

Questions.... The TL has scratches in the area of the rear corner (trunk lid side, top of tail light area. If the rest of the car is in pretty good shape, would I use another product in this area to try to get the scratches out or just use the same product and work a bit harder/more passes in that area?

Jesstzn - What clay do you like to use on your WDP? I think you were the one who posted a paint touch up post which led me to this section to begin with. So far, I've yet to buy the WDP paint. Not sure where to get it from. Some offer it as a 3-step (cuz it's a tri-coat), others have 2-step pens on Ebay, Acura claims to have 1-step and was puzzled when I asked about clearcoat. Trying to find the one who'll give the best match. I guess I need to touch up before I do anything so I'm hopeing to do that part by the weekend and hope local stores will have the proper wet sand paper.

Wow! Jesstzn, I was at your site which linked to this about wheel scrape. Yet another issue with the TL. Looks like crap. I'll have to do this also http://www.autopia.org/publish/artic...hes/Page1.html

Excel - I'll have to PM or email you. I hope to order today.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Suzuka Master

As for the clay I used ..It was the Mothers kit and should do you just fine . Don't use the small bottle of wax in the kit.

I had the Dealer pen and it was crap.. I went to http://www.paintscratch.com/ for my toughup. If the scratces by the trunk lid ar deep enough to catch your fingernail in then touchup is required .. If no then Optimum Compound in a orang pad should at least reduce the visuals of them. Scratches are "V" shaped and reflect light but if you polish a but and round off the sharp edges at the top of the "V" it will really reduce the visuals of the scratch. The "V" now becomes a a rounded rolling valley and doesn't reflect light as well.

For the rubber Excel sells a product called "Black Wow" and its great. Expensive but goes a long way. Works great too in the valance under the wipers.

Regarding the handle thing on the PC , the PC itself has a side handle that I find gives more control for a noob. A lot of times I just hold mine by the top of the housing directly over the backing plate which is the same area the Griots one has its handle . I do this with 1 hand and I don't think the Griots handle will allow that.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Instructor

Jesstzn - Paintscratch was on my list and I'm not sure why I backed off it. Oh I think it was one post where they had an issue with consistency on their bumper.

Did you get the Pen or the bottle? I'm really unclear as to which way to go. I'm very anal about this type of thing and a tad artistic and have tons of experience painting as well as furniture refinishing so I'm comfy with sanding..... There are 2 big chips on the horizontal area of the rear bumper that are sized somewhere between a pencil eraser and a dime. Then there are tiny spots (one is RUSTED). I wonder if clay would remove the tiny rust or if I need to get in there with a tool.
Pen or bottle?

Today I'm heading to Costco to see what towels, etc. they have then to auto store searching for sand paper. Then hopefully put together an order. I think I'm going to go with the Griot's machine. I think
Old 03-24-2009, 01:56 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I totally hear ya...!
Old 03-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
costco has a 36 pack of yellow microfibres, you will find that they are excellent for polish and sealant removal, and 36 of them is a ton...i have had the pack for over a year, and still have atleast a dozen unused towels...

as for the pc handle thing, even if i had the griots machine, i would use it without the handle...that one you wont understand until you get the machine and use it...the first time i used mine i had the handle on it, and within 5 min i took it off as this is the prefered method of using this style of machine...
Old 03-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Former Sponsor

the first time i used mine i had the handle on it, and within 5 min i took it off as this is the prefered method of using this style of machine...
That handle is my safety blankey!! I dont use it alot except when I have an itchy nose and have to switch hands.....lol
Old 03-25-2009, 01:09 AM
The Detailer

Dale and Patrick did a pretty damn good job explaining everything so it looks like I have nothing left to say, LoL.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:46 AM
Instructor

I got the yellow Costco MFs. Also 3 super soft blue ones in a pack with a chenille tendril looking mat thingy. Local auto stores suck! Plus I only found wet/dry sandpaper in 2000 so I have to order that also. Got my paint ordered for the WDP TL though.
I'm not making good progress here. Once I get over my orbital machine block, I think I'll be good to get in an order with Mr. Excel here.

I see there will be a new PC coming out. Wait... TWO? Model 7435 or 7424 ??? I can't post links here but should come up in a google for "spy photos of new polisher". www.autogeekonline.com Different button locations???
Old 03-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I got the yellow Costco MFs. Also 3 super soft blue ones in a pack with a chenille tendril looking mat thingy. Local auto stores suck! Plus I only found wet/dry sandpaper in 2000 so I have to order that also. Got my paint ordered for the WDP TL though.
I'm not making good progress here. Once I get over my orbital machine block, I think I'll be good to get in an order with Mr. Excel here.

I see there will be a new PC coming out. Wait... TWO? Model 7435 or 7424 ??? I can't post links here but should come up in a google for "spy photos of new polisher". www.autogeekonline.com Different button locations???
it doesnt matter which version of the udm/pc you get....either will do just fine....i dont know why you got the blue pack of 3 with the chenille mitt....were you planning on using thoes for something specific??

get a really nice sheepskin mitt for washing, and a seperate sponge or maybe use that chenille mitt for wheels and wheel wells....never use the same mitt for your paint as you use for your wheels and wells...i use two different buckets of wash as well, one for car and one for wheels....
Old 03-25-2009, 08:43 AM
Suzuka Master

I got the yellow Costco MFs. Also 3 super soft blue ones in a pack with a chenille tendril looking mat thingy.

The updated 7424 looks nice but myself I'd wait a year before buying a new model release . Been bitten too often on cars and the UDM.

There is lots of current models of the PC .. all depends on how they are configured ... the body of the 7435 and 7424 are the same but one is configured for polishing the other for sanding . Go look at the PC site itself.

The blue towels you bought Costco even tho they are 16 x 24 they are actually very decent plush towels. I got some a month ago and have been testing them ever since. 2 good W/W drying towels will do what 3 of these blue ones will but never the less they arest fine. The mitt .. well .. out to lunch on that one . I haven't used it yet but I might try it out a s a wheel wash mitt. Other mitts I have had like this one turned out to be a way too heavy when saturated with water. But for $10 for 3 towels and a mitt .. not bad.

Last edited by Jesstzn; 03-25-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Instructor

I'm back. The weather's just been so crappy the last month and I hear that new PC is coming out in about 2 weeks (hopefully that's correct info). I want to look into it before buying. I've still not yet painted the car chips. Might do that this weekend if the wind dies down.

Costco has Griot's Waterless Car Wash so I picked that up for the hell of it.
I was VERY happy to see my tentative Excel Detail shopping cart kept everything for all this time.

Just checking in to say you all didn't waste your time on me.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm back. I hear that new PC is coming out in about 2 weeks (hopefully that's correct info). I want to look into it before buying.
More like 5-6 weeks .. end of May
Old 08-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Instructor

I'm back. Hubby smashed the TL's front bumper on a rogue barrier cone thing on the highway so I just put everything on the backburner. I've still not looked into getting the bumper replaced. Not sure which way to go on that but I'm sure the WDP will never match. I see the new PC is finally out. yeah!

But I need to get his spruced up before winter at least so I'm going to order stuff now despite the bumper not being fixed.

But I just bought a new car Saturday. Hyundai Santa Fe Ltd. in Pear White (tri-coat) with black leather interior.

Now I need stuff for 2 basically new cars with one (TL) needing spot work for scratches, chips. I saved my shopping cart list at Excel but see some products no longer offered.

I again have a few questions...

1. I'm not sure how much of stuff I need. Like the 303 interior stuff. 8oz or 17oz? No clue how much is needed to do say... a dash.

2. 4 Star UPP and Duragloss 105 do basically the same thing and I should pick one or the other - right?

3. SC beyond black is gone now and I can't even remember what it was for. Tires or cladding? Maybe I'll get that Black Wow ($$$).

4. Tuff Shine Tire - Can't find that. Not sure what I should get instead now. I don't like the oil slick look. Just nice and black with matte or a slight sheen though I realize most of these things are variable by adding coats to get the look you want. Suggestions?

5. Compounds/Polishes. I think I'll get the Optimum Polish II. But the TL needs scratch removal here & there so I think the Optimum Compound II. Not sure if I can get away with ordering the 8 ounce compound. I think so. Tell me if I'm wrong?
Old 08-27-2009, 03:55 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ would you marry me LOL....we will detail the car together LOL

meagain, sorry to hear that your husband smashed the front of the car....i havent read exceldetails post about car care and i bet he knows more than me.....this is what i regularly do and my car is in pretty much good condition.....no chips and no scratches....very light swirls (from a over used brush).....

1> every other week quick detail her.....vacuum the inside and quick detail it....
2> every month wash her and wax her....quick detail interior and condition the leather
3> every 3-4 months i completely detail her.....3 day process.....wash her with dish washing soap.....clay bar her.....polish her (i put 3 coats)......keep the 1st for 24 hours....2nd for 12 and 3rd for 6 hours.....i vacuum the interior, wash the mats, clean the leather, condition the leather, quick detail the interior, rainx the windows (inside with antifog and outside with *forgot the name* its exterior rainx something)

products i use:
meguairs quick interior detailer
meguairs quick exterior detailer
meguiars carnauba wax
meguairs deep crystal wash
rainx defog
invisible glass
nufinish polish
meguiars swirl remover or nu scratch remover

i buy these products as supposed the the expensive and not on the shelf products because if i run out of something i can run to wally (walmart LOL) and buy it.....

all the best
Old 08-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
^^^LOL, sounds like a dream girl...

You almost scared me for a sec, but Tuf Shine is still there. http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...etail&ct=66284
Old 08-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Instructor

I'm going to go with Jesstzn's posts 7 and 9 above.

I "think" I can get away with the 8oz Optimum Compound for the scratched areas of Hubbys car. I think one only needs a little of this. Correct me if I'm wrong. I hope I'm not underestimating the condition of this car but it's really not been touched except for maybe 3-4 dealer drive-through washes. OK I guess that's bad eh?

Now it's just a matter of nailing down the tire stuff and if I need a backing plate and which pads I'll get, and which sheep mitts.

MD - Which Tuff Shine for tires are we talking about? The ones that do tires are out of stock.

Excel - What's up with the Tuff Shine for tires that folks were talking about on the threads? Will it come back? If so, when?

I can't believe I missed that 20% off sale. Serves me right for not hanging around you guys for a while!
Old 08-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
dont worry it never fails.. after you place the order, Patrick will run another promo which will make you want to spend more... lolz...
Old 08-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
You are going to make your husband so envious when you're done...check out the rest of the forum as well, although it will cost you quite a bit...
Old 08-28-2009, 01:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
You are correct, i totally didn't notice that it was out of stock.

There is a good chance those dealer washes added a swirl or two more that you will be removing later...

Any chance you could post up a few pics? May give the pros a better idea of what you are working with
Old 08-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Instructor

Hubby is gone for the weekend so I decided to finally wash his TL and clay it.

2 problems:

1. Some tar specs. I pop them with my fingernail but it's getting really old. I need something to get this off without me spending hours. This actually isn't too bad but this car goes on road trips and I think I need something more than car wash to get this crap off occasionally from a trip.

2. Billions of pin point/pencil point rust spots! I'm mortified. I have Mother's clay here and can get most off if I work on it but again, this would take forever.
I was going to order Optimum compound II and Optimum Polish. Would either of those remove them? It's very concerning.

I do see swirls but I don't think they're bad judging from photos of others. So I guess the important thing is the rust spots and hopefully anything I use for that will nuke the swirls also. I don't suppose just the Polish would do it all?