Repairing paint chip

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2001, 07:43 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repairing paint chip

Well, it finally happened. A rock found my new black CL and it left two paint chips on the hood.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments before I start working on this w/ touch-up paint? Has anyone tried langka paint chip repair (http://www.langka.com)?

-wwas
Old 03-05-2001, 09:37 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, get used to it...black is notorious for showing for paint chips...especially driving on the highway. I would wait till more show up (maybe a few months) and do them all then. 2 doesn't sound so bad. If you absolutely have to do it, first strip off all wax using isopropyl alcohal. Then apply thin coats of touch up paint using the end of a match stick. DAB the chip. The trick it to do it in stages. When each coat dries, apply another till it is even with the paint surface. Then use 2-3 coats of clear, again, DAB the paint on. Then use a mild abrasive like "3M Perfect It" to level out the clear, and apply your favorite wax, or polish. If you drive the high way on occasion, buy a BRA. Only put it on a clean car, and remove it when you get to your destination, and wash the front of the car. DO NOT leave it on for any extended period of time.....it will do more harm than good, and never put it on a dirty car. Good Luck. I was sick of doing this on black......so bought a silver car (much better). If it was my garaged 2nd car, I would of went for black, but for a daily commuter, I wouldn't of been happy with a chipped up car, and silver is much more forgiving. It's almost impossible to avoid.
Old 03-08-2001, 07:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haven't tried the repair kit you mentioned. On the detailing sites they mention the fill in the chip with touch up paint using a match stick (I used to do this on my Maxima, but no clear coat). There are some sites that recommend filling in the clear coat next, then wet sanding. (I've don't the wet sanding on my last non clear coat car -- it was always scary during the sanding, but turned out great).

You might want to check out a pro. detailer if your unsure *and* you might want to get some of that new clear 3M protective film if you are getting the hits in selected regions of the car.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
  • Sways, headers, CAI comming soon
Old 03-16-2001, 02:40 PM
CL-ever Girl

What protective film is that? What does it do?
Old 03-20-2001, 04:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Check out this page for helful hints for touch-up:

http://www.web-cars.com/detail/touchup.html

Also, you can get the clear bra from Xpel to avoid further paint chips...

g

------------------
'01 Silver::TYPE-S
::Navi/Spoiler::
::Comptech Springs::
::18"ADR Enigma & 225/40
::35%tint all around
::type-s license frame
::Muds
::Acura Winter Mats
::Polarg M-6