removing scratches, pinstripes, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 05:18 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removing scratches, pinstripes, etc.

hey detailing gods and goddesses.. after reading a couple of posts here, i've realized that many of you actually know what to do in many situations.. so heres mine hopefully some one can gimme good advice

i live in NYC,.. brooklyn to be exact.. and if you don't know. its cold here. really cold. while i was having my 'killswitch' installed, i decided to remove my ugly previous owner pinstripe that plagued my beautiful black 99 cl. what i realized (btw, i removed it ok. considering it was like 25 degrees, i had no heat gun etc..) is that the previous owner.. really messed up the car. heres waht he/she did

applying the pinstripe, they ran a blade.. yes a blade to make it even (level, wahtever) and apply a silverish pinstripe right above it. now its not as bad as it sounds.. but its still a visible scratch and LONG scratch along my rear fender. seems like tahts all the guidance they needed because further up, my front fender doesn't have that problem.

# 2, my passenger door was hit.. not while i had it of course (I am a very safe driver, and that says little for city drivers!) and guess waht type of job they did.. ha, laughable but sad for me. they used teh pinstripe on the passenger side as a guide. meaning, they prolly taped up above teh pinstripe and started spraying as oppsed to stripping the reapplying on the door.. so after i removed teh passenger side pinstripe i realize theres a discrepancy between paints.. theres actually a paint finish line ON the door.

so heres waht i ask of you guys.. 1! how da hell do i get rid of that finish line. maybe wash, clay, super polish and then wax?
2! how do i repair those blade thin scratches w/o doing a lot of sanding, touch up or painting. ie.. maybe polishing? im willing to try my hand at touching up.. but not my forte, and im not one to buy all this sanding equip to use once on a 6 inch blade thin scratch.

any simple solutions?
and btw thanks for the help and thanks for taking the time to read this!