Recommended gloss for Interior

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 03:03 PM
One Bad Mutha

Location: From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommended gloss for Interior

I was just wondering want folks use out there to get there interior looking as wet and glossy as possible. I used to use just plain old Black Magic when they had it for interiors, but since I have been using McGuires "Endurance" which looks like it is made for tires and trim, but the s^&t looks great and lasts for weeks, I even use it on my seats. I did however check the bottle and it says it has petroleum additives in it, so that frightens me a bit, I have since removed it, Any ideas? I want my s^&t looking wet and the plain old leather cleaners and gloss wipes dont do the trick. I used the Endurance all the time on my old Legend for over 5 years and it looked great until I sold it, never any problems, but once again I do not know too much about what these products do in the long term. Any Ideas?
Old 02-06-2003, 04:33 PM
Team Anthracite

I use Lexol cleaner and conditioner on my seats and Lexol Vinylex on the rest of the interior trim. Good stuff!
Old 02-06-2003, 04:51 PM
yeah,yeah,uh,huh,wh,what

Same here, I've always used Lexol. Personally I don't like the shiny dash and seat look but if you do use this stuff called dashwax on your dash. I've used it on my older cars before and liked it. Tire dressing on your seats and dash are a no no. Just clean and condition you leather. the conditioner stays shiny for a while.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:51 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
Lexol cleaner/Lexol Vinylex
Dan
Old 02-06-2003, 05:00 PM
Drifting

Without trying to offend you, YOU ARE A COMPLETE AND TOTAL IDIOT! Automakers bend over backwards to get the gloss down to a level of "1", which is as low as gloss can get, read: not glossy!

This is a safety issue! Glossy dashboards, seats, etcetra reflect and scatter light, therefore distracting your vision.

Have you ever noticed the elaborate measures that automakers go through to cowl and shroud the instruments such that they do not reflect on the glass at night, causing a distraction?

No offense, man, but, why don't you just screw a couple of Xenon high intensity discharge headlights to the top of your dashboard pointing right into your eyes? You'll get the same effect as to armour all(ing) your dashboard.

Armour All is sold in both high and low gloss formulas. Did you ever wonder WHY they do that? Scheeesh!
Old 02-06-2003, 06:07 PM
Racer

I wouldn't reccomend puttingthe tire gloss on the steering wheel :-)

Seriously, I used that Endurance stuff on my tires, I can't even imagine how slippery/grimy/sticky it would be on dash board...to each his own

I use Lexol and find this the best. The Meguires stuff was a little too greasy for me
Old 02-06-2003, 06:54 PM
3rd Gear

DFRED, to each his own opinion, you dont have to slam, we are all here to help each other out, we want more user on the forum to ask what they have on their mind, if its a hazard just tell us its a hazard no need for the insults, the Cl website has been getting a bad rep lately, your correct in what your saying though
Old 02-06-2003, 07:06 PM
One Bad Mutha

Location: From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
I like my S&^t glossy and thats that. However, I will discontinue the Endurance and go with the Lexol due to overwhelming support for this product. Thanks for the advice, of course except for the safety lecture from dfreder370. We could go on and on about hazards all day long. Tinting your windows is a hazard, and so is driving with the music up too loud, and so on and so on, blah, blah, blah. F*&k hazards and the laws. Drive it like you stole it. I did'nt buy the CL-S thinking my fun was going to Wal-Mart on a Saturday with the old lady doing 40mph. You can't tell me you never raced or driven very fast in your CL-S. That my friend, is a hazard.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:24 PM
What, me drive fast?

Some materials look nice glossy. The dash material in my Prelude looked like it was supposed to be a bit shiny. The dash in the CL-S looks like it is supposed to have a matte finish...like it did when I bought the car! I think making that or the seats too shiny would look silly. My 2cents. As some people here said, to each their own. Clean and shiny are not the same thing in my book.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:44 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does lexol make the seats and dash shiny, i want somethin that just cleans it and gets the dust off, no extra shine
Old 02-06-2003, 10:28 PM
BC
nearsighted visionary

To darrinb. I suggest 303 protectant. Not too shiney and has UV inhibitors. Found it in the marine section of a local outdoor store. They have a website. Much has been said about this product on this site. A search may be in order here. See also Autopia site. Siezeya.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:15 PM
Drifting

Chata: Dfreder here. Sorry I was so heavy handed, and I apologize. Whatever you like is ok with me.

I am very heavily skilled in automotive paints, finishes and particurlarly skilled in powder coatings. Color and gloss are interrelated. For instance, if you have EXACTLY the same color on two steel panels, and one has a gloss of 5 (low), and the other has a gloss of 90 (high), your eye will percieve the high gloss panel to be noticibely darker, even though electronic instruments will tell you that they are exactly the same color.

A little known fact is that a color can be boiled down to a number, but the explanation is so complicated that I am not going to even bother trying.

So, if you want to high gloss one seat, be my guest, I won't lose any sleep over it. But then look at the rest of the I assume, black interior. It will look a different color. I guess the point is, if you are going to do everything that is black, make sure you get it all to avoid looking like a checkerboard.

Lawsuits have been filed against Armour All for failing to warn the public of the dangers of high gloss application of their product on their interior.

I am in detroit as a paint/color/gloss consultant for the automakers on a regular basis. Some automakers are actually looking for a plastic material for the interior that will make Armour All and the like high gloss products actually pool, or "bead" like a freshly waxed car in the rain, thereby rejecting the application of the product. Reason: liability.

The FAA (I am a CFI, Certified Flight Instructor) actually regulates the maximun amount of gloss on interior components in the cockpit of transport (read: airlines) category aircraft to a maximum of 10 gloss points, very flat! This, is for safety.

Basically, these high gloss products are essentially silicone, which by nature is slicker than snot. In my mind, that kinda defeats these nice, highly bolstered seat we paid a fortune for.

Gloss is cool, don't get me wrong. But the proper place for gloss is on the outside of a car, not the inside.

And here is an interesting fact. When you first see a new car in the dealer showroom, you actually do not "see" the car. What you DO see, is the combination of the color and the gloss of the paint!

If you really want to learn more about color and gloss, visit either the BYK Garner or X-rite web sites. Both make color and gloss measuring instruments, and the science is fascinating.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Try to leave the dash alone. If you have to use something, try a wet microfiber cloth to clean the dash. If it is just dusty, use a top grade dry microfiber cloth or mitt (you can head over to the autopia forum for more info). Our car really wants that dash to be as "flat" as possible. The top of the dash already can be seen in the windshield and as mentioned, the gloss will impact your ability to see. In any event, keep any gloss adders off that top horizontal dash surface. (Note: 303 protectant can be used for cleaning and can be wiped down to virtually eliminate any gloss there.

2. If you want to gloss-up the rest of the interior, you might want to try the 303 and see how that works. You can even use that on the top-coated leather on our seats. (It protects the interior from UV and only has a mild gloss when it isn't buffed down...)

As mentioned, stay away from the stuff loaded with silicone. It will just cause your interior to last for less time.