ran over a skunk...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 04:47 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
ran over a skunk...

So the other day I was just cruisin down a residential street and all of a sudden this skunk pops out of nowhere and I try to dodge it but that was a fail and I ran over the skunk, and now my car has the worst skunk odor. Inside and Outside. .

Its been almost two days and the smell is still there. What to do?? I've febreezed but it only takes the smell away momentarily.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
It's gonna be a while before you get the smell out no matter what you do, unfortunately. Had the same problem over a year ago.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:13 AM
Veni, vidi, vici

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How about you run over another skunk to cancel out the smell. Have you tried washing the car/ go to a car wash? maybe even checking under the car to see if the body is still there? you can take a high pressure hoe's and spray the shyt out your tires. did you hit it with a bumper or the wheels? maybe some of it is still stuck to the car?

man, i remember I ran over a pigeon. I swear i thought it would fly away like most birds do, but no, this pigeon just turned around, looked me right in the eyes for a good 3 seconds, then BAM!! feathers flying everywhere and my wife kicking and hitting me and screaming at me. I stopped the car and ran out to take a look, ran back inside my car, and said "don't worry, the lip kit is A.O.K!". i didn't get any for like a month.

good luck on ur stink issue, I'm sure if you keep cleaning it/washing it, it'll go away faster.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:18 AM
2008 335i e92 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ LOL

but umm yeah definitely check for leftovers under the car and as for the smell inside... i'd say one of the best ways to remove odor from inside the car is leave the windows down for awhile, like few hours at the least, and let the breeze and air outside carry the smell elsewhere...

but if the smell is just as bad outside then idk...
Old 07-29-2010, 07:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bayam0n

man, i remember I ran over a pigeon. I swear i thought it would fly away like most birds do, but no, this pigeon just turned around, looked me right in the eyes for a good 3 seconds, then BAM!! feathers flying everywhere and my wife kicking and hitting me and screaming at me. I stopped the car and ran out to take a look, ran back inside my car, and said "don't worry, the lip kit is A.O.K!".
lol'd
Old 07-29-2010, 07:29 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
maybe a pine tree air freshener for your rear view mirror?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:39 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
wash the part u hit the skunk with coffee and lots of cold water let the coffee stay on for a while but dont let it dry up. then spray lots of water. AND THEENNN lol wash it with citrus soap.

as for the interior the smell will go away once you handle the exterior
Old 07-29-2010, 08:36 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
man, i remember I ran over a pigeon. I swear i thought it would fly away like most birds do, but no, this pigeon just turned around, looked me right in the eyes for a good 3 seconds, then BAM!! feathers flying everywhere and my wife kicking and hitting me and screaming at me. I stopped the car and ran out to take a look, ran back inside my car, and said "don't worry, the lip kit is A.O.K!". i didn't get any for like a month.

this made me laugh...sounds like something i would immeadiatley do as well. thanks for the laugh
Old 07-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How about you run over another skunk to cancel out the smell. Have you tried washing the car/ go to a car wash? maybe even checking under the car to see if the body is still there? you can take a high pressure hoe's and spray the shyt out your tires. did you hit it with a bumper or the wheels? maybe some of it is still stuck to the car?

good luck on ur stink issue, I'm sure if you keep cleaning it/washing it, it'll go away faster.
are you george costanza?
Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 AM
'06 NBP TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL ^

Yeah check if any parts are still stuck under it... good luck removing it if any is there and carwash a few times haha
Old 07-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Veni, vidi, vici

Originally Posted by raf1919
are you george costanza?
who's that?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
who's that?
he's this guy on a popular tv show called seinfeld, kind of a big deal, yadda yadda yadda....
Old 07-29-2010, 11:22 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

hahhaa
Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts

haha well said sir like everybody else, i would have said the same thing to my girl about my lip kit Haha.... i mean, she bought my whole aspec kit as a gift!
Old 07-29-2010, 04:31 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
LOL I'd take it to a car wash that has the soap pressure hose and spray the shit out of the under-carriage. I once hit a chicken full of eggs that flew out in front of me when I had my Tahoe, and needless to say it was the most disgusting that I had ever seen in my life. Luckily, no smell
Old 07-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Veni, vidi, vici

Originally Posted by AMUA6
LOL I'd take it to a car wash that has the soap pressure hose and spray the shit out of the under-carriage. I once hit a chicken full of eggs that flew out in front of me when I had my Tahoe, and needless to say it was the most disgusting that I had ever seen in my life. Luckily, no smell
Talk about killing two birds with one stone! Damn that image is pretty disturbing.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah it is...
Old 07-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Racer

im pretty sure the skunk isnt stuck to my car cause i actually busted a bitch and went back to see if i actually hit it or not. i think i just hit it with the front left of my car since the skunk still looked like it was still in tact.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I would give her a tomato juice bath...
Old 07-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
^This actually worked on my dachshund one night. Nasty job, though.
Bayamon, you should be in standup! Thanks for the laughs!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:05 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Might have to rent an Ozone machine. I'm not sure if this would help or not, but changing the cabin filter could freshen things up a bit also. Frebreze isn't going to do shit. The smell will come back. As others have said, pressure wash the hell out of the outside of your car and where you hit it at.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:06 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Old 07-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Carfreak

OPEN ALL WINDOWS... go 80 on the freeway.. im sure it'll take some of the smell away.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:02 AM
Racer

I've never even heard of an ozone machine. lol. I was thinking about rubbing tomato sauce all over my wheels but thats gonna be my last resort. seems too much of a dirty job. I have a feeling that I'm getting too used to the smell now but it still bothers me how the smell is still there even though I cant smell it.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:03 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Man, I so wanna run over a skunk now just too see how bad it is.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Man, I so wanna run over a skunk now just too see how bad it is.
i wouldnt recommend you do that. but i cant stop you from doing it.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:03 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
$3 can of OZIUM spray at parts stores will knock everything out
In the air freshener area, its used in hospitals to kill bad stuff in the air
Old 07-30-2010, 07:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
just pass some gas after eating beans, problem solved
Old 07-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
just pass some gas after eating beans, problem solved
tried it already. didnt go too well.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:53 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
How about the Ozium or pressure washing?

@ Bayam0n
Old 07-31-2010, 03:02 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Skunk Odour

Skunk spray is composed mainly of low molecular weight thiol compounds a mixture of sulphur-containing chemicals (methyl and butyl thiols (mercaptans) which are organic chemicals containing the sulfhydryl chemical group they are not water soluble.

Exterior - To eliminate them and the odours they produce solubilise it (i.e. raise the pH from an acid to an alkaline) with an alkaline wash solution at which point it will become more soluble and wash away. Mix a 1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) with an alkaline car wash concentrate or acid neutralization wash -ValuGuard

Interior - To safely and effectively remove skunk odours (Skunk Kleen) an odour neutralizer that can be sprayed directly on you or your pet as well as in the air, in your vehicle, on clothing, fabric, bedding, litter, cages, kennels, carpeting, flooring, and porous surfaces to eliminate skunk odour’s. With all odour removal change the cabin air filter (if fitted) after treatment.

OR

Aquartz - CleanAir, this is not a perfume cover-up type product but an advanced high grade air purification coating based on the latest nano-science technology photo catalyst. In the presence of light, active oxygen is formed and excited on the treated surfaces to destroy all micro-sized air pollutants, including petro fumes, smog, diesel smoke, exhaust gases, industrial smoke, chemical off-gassing or VOCs from car fabric, leather and plastic materials, air toxins, cigarette odours, etc.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
^^Wow---great info! Thanks.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:19 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts

My dad hit one in downtown Portland once and there were TONS of feathers. They aren't too bright, I'll say that. All but one flew away after he started honking the horn but this last one was too engaged by all the corn that had spilled on the road. Talk about a fatal attraction.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Instructor

Online or at a Dive Shop pick up some Sink The Stink. It's a divers' product that gobbles the most terrible stinks around. Down here, the MEs office uses it on body bags to de-stink them, and I think that could be even worse stench than skunk (however, you don't live in a body bag!). Dilute the STS. Spray the S**t out of everywhere stink might have touched (it would be great if you could get it overhead so you can see if there's dcaying junk there.) Maybe even get a garden sprayer to put some STS in. Soak it with the solution. Let it dry. Do this a coupla times. Let it rest for a while inbetween. This is great for animal smells on cement and ground. Great if a male cat gets in your car and sprays. Use it a few times. Let it soak. Don't wash it off. Let the enzymes/bacteria do their job.

Bayam0n I'm still laughing!!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,456 Likes on 3,051 Posts
This is one of the best stories I've ever read on here, bravo

I would have the same reaction