Questions about Polishers

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 10:20 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Questions about Polishers

I was recently given an older motorized polisher. I've never used one myself before, but am excited to try it out (on something other than my TL of course!). I have a few questions for the experts before I begin though...

As I said, it's an older model, and it doesn't have a model number on it. I know it uses 7" pads and that it also doesn't have variable speeds. Is this polisher going to be using too large of pads to really work as well as the PC's? Also, is the lack of variable speeds going to make things harder than it should be? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
can you post a pic of the polisher? is it like one of those huge $30 orbital where the handles are on the top? you may want to be careful since without variable speed, and too hard a hand, you can burn the paint...

that polisher may be more for body shop use where they need to burn the paint in after shooting clear coat etc... not for detailing and corrections...
Old 06-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll have a pic up sometime today (heading to work in 30). But after doing a little more research, it seems I may have a rotary on my hands! Considering that I'm in no way shape or form an expert in the car world, I may need to pick up a PC as well, and eventually move onto the rotary. Thanks for the response though!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rheklas1
I'll have a pic up sometime today (heading to work in 30). But after doing a little more research, it seems I may have a rotary on my hands! Considering that I'm in no way shape or form an expert in the car world, I may need to pick up a PC as well, and eventually move onto the rotary. Thanks for the response though!
No need for the rotary, pick up a Griot's Garage Polisher instead, more power than the PC. DA's are just as powerful as rotary's nowadays with all the new technology coming out like Meg's Microfiber system. And this is coming from a rotary-only detailer for the last 4 years.

I would say you could stay with the rotary, as they aren't the fire-breathing dragons everyone makes them out to be, it's actually very hard to burn the paint with a rotary. That said, the rotary you have isn't worth it, no offense, due to the lack of variable speed (a must for a rotary).