question for you polishing pros

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
question for you polishing pros

i have a WDP TL and it has some minor swirls, spiderwebing on. it i want to polish them out, after i wash and clay it. i have porter cable orbital with orange pad i will be using some Menzerna Intensive Polish.

my question is, after i polish out the defects do i need to do something to the surface before i apply the sealant? i've heard of doing a wipe down with IPA? im new to this what is IPA? i dont know if the polish will leave some kind of residue behind that would hinder the sealant from properly bonding to the paint.

i know the sealant it takes about 12 hrs to fully cure can the sealant be layered? i also have some PS21 wax to finish off the job once the sealant cures what do you guys think? thanks!
Old 03-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Ok 1st off the IP and an orange pad "might" leave some hazing when done so you might want to do a pass with a finer polish and a polishing pad.

IP is water based so it doesn't leave as much behind as others but it can be dusty etc.

IPA is rubbing alcohol ... $2 a quart at Wally World . Wet M/F towel with it and wipe the car down.

Yes sealants need 12 to 24 hours to cure . Curing is different than drying.

Rule of thumb I go 24 hours minimum. Eg add a layer on Sat and rewash if the car was driven and a layer Sun. or the following weekend.

What sealant are you using?
Old 03-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok 1st off the IP and an orange pad "might" leave some hazing when done so you might want to do a pass with a finer polish and a polishing pad.
That was my first concern as well...........May need a lighter pad as well, but being "white" you "could" probably get by without. But its nice having everything you "think" you might need vs. "wishing" you had "what you needed"....
Old 03-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Patrick I guess the reason I was suggesting the finer polish/[pad is that white needs all the help it can get to look awesome and any hazing will distract from that ..

I think your Optimum Polish ( small bottle 8 oz? ) and a polishing pad would be a great finish up. The IPA or PoliSeal to clean it all up .

I have been using the PoliSeal now for my base and cleanup and I think its one of the reasons the LSPs I use are lasting so long. Very good solid base for the sealant.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Patrick I guess the reason I was suggesting the finer polish/[pad is that white needs all the help it can get to look awesome and any hazing will distract from that ..

I think your Optimum Polish ( small bottle 8 oz? ) and a polishing pad would be a great finish up. The IPA or PoliSeal to clean it all up .

I have been using the PoliSeal now for my base and cleanup and I think its one of the reasons the LSPs I use are lasting so long. Very good solid base for the sealant.
is poliseal an lsp, what exactly is it
Old 03-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^poliseal is an all in one product (polishes and seals)
Old 03-13-2008, 02:43 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX07
^^poliseal is an all in one product (cleans, polishes and seals)
Fixed
Old 03-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn

D, Im certain you have used PS quite a bit more, and speak with more knowledge then myself. I wll defer all question regarding PS to you for sure! And I totally agree about following up IP with something lighter!