Question for silver based cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, let's see. Kragen's or AutoZone (not sure) they have a 4 pak of Meguiars foam applicators. I think the price was under $5. I would call on that's close to your residence and also ask what else they have for applicators.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by 98SilverSurfer
This tells u how much of a noob I am. It isnt actually mothers...it's meguiers #7.
Uhhh, then wtf does the above mean?
Old 10-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From my understanding Carnuba is favored because of its strength. It's an extremely hard and durable wax once dried. I dont think it quit has the shine of other products but it definetly last a long time. Not for the show enthusiest but for some over the hiller in a 65 vette who only waxes once every 6 months.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by 1upacura
From my understanding Carnuba is favored because of its strength. It's an extremely hard and durable wax once dried. I dont think it quit has the shine of other products but it definetly last a long time. Not for the show enthusiest but for some over the hiller in a 65 vette who only waxes once every 6 months.
Couldnt be more the opposite of what you said.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Soul Rebel

Originally Posted by joerockt
Uhhh, then wtf does the above mean?
CAUSE I HAVE (HAD) BOTH OF THEM
Old 10-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Soul Rebel

DONE!
Alright the applicators were fine. Got a pack at autozone but they weren't the meguiars pack. Still did the job very well. It was time all consumin but I can't wait to tackle another coat of SG. Joerockt, that's for that link again. It saved so much time at the end than I was expectin. It looked so good at night too
Now what sucks is that I never got the digicam. I did end up takin regular pics of before and after for personal use. Although I can get a digicam today, the shitty part is that it's forcasted to rain for a few days so I don't know when I'll get around to that. Plus the light in the garage is pretty weak. Had to carry a nightlamp with me (without the lampshade) to see if I could notice haze at certain angles.
Question I got is, with the car being out in the rain for a good part of the weekend, will it degrade the 1st coat of SG I had on? Right now it looks so nice out there with the water beadin. But with such a thin layer, should I be worried about anythin?

Thanks for all your help guys
Old 10-08-2005, 03:47 PM
trill recognize trill

Originally Posted by joerockt
The AIO, SG and S100 combo is exactly what I do...

And SilverSurfer, if you still cant understand this, I dont know what else we can do to help...

Here is my procedure:
Wash and Clay at the same time (wash small area first, leave soap on, clay, rinse off)
Dry
Apply Klasse AIO POLISH. Wipe off immediately.
Apply Klasse SG GLAZE. Wipe off immediately. (OPTIONAL: Apply a second coat after 24 hours and a third after another 24 hours. Complete this ALL BEFORE THE NEXT STEP).
Apply S100 CARNAUBA WAX. Wipe off immediately.
so in between the SG GLAZE your not supposed to be driving your car ?
Old 10-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]
Prep is everything,regardless of the "best" wax or sealant.
[IMG][/IMG]
After, with some Smartwax products, and a little SSR 2.0 I mixed in.....
Poorboys is far from junk.....
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by exceldetail; 10-08-2005 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Soul Rebel

Yes I could defintely tell the poorboys was great. First time usin it and it proved its reputation
Old 10-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LameTL
so in between the SG GLAZE your not supposed to be driving your car ?
All Joe was saying is to wait 24 hr before you add the next coat. You can drive your car, just ensure your surface is free from dust before you apply the next layer of sealant. Wipe it down with a clean MF towel and you should be good to go.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:43 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 98SilverSurfer
Yes I could defintely tell the poorboys was great. First time usin it and it proved its reputation
Glad to hear you're satisfied with the product as well as the result. You should try the Spray & Wipe for in between washes and then follow up with QD+ or Spray & Gloss to help keep the shine. Of course there are other QDs available, but if you're gonna stay with Poorboys, I highly recommend those. For your tires, Bold n Bright is a fantastic product. Gives a matte finish, dries to the touch, no slingoff and is waterbased.

Exceldetail, the trunklid looks flawless - you are an inspiration to weekend detailers like myself. Thanks for all the tips and info......

Last edited by Hawhyen51; 10-08-2005 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:20 PM
trill recognize trill

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
All Joe was saying is to wait 24 hr before you add the next coat. You can drive your car, just ensure your surface is free from dust before you apply the next layer of sealant. Wipe it down with a clean MF towel and you should be good to go.
thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Soul Rebel

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Glad to hear you're satisfied with the product as well as the result. You should try the Spray & Wipe for in between washes and then follow up with QD+ or Spray & Gloss to help keep the shine. Of course there are other QDs available, but if you're gonna stay with Poorboys, I highly recommend those. For your tires, Bold n Bright is a fantastic product. Gives a matte finish, dries to the touch, no slingoff and is waterbased.

Exceldetail, the trunklid looks flawless - you are an inspiration to weekend detailers like myself. Thanks for all the tips and info......
I was thinkin of NXT Spray max in between here and there...is that cool? That product has been talked about in the forum a lot. Not that I wouldn't like to stay with poorboys. I'm guessin it would be pricey though the NXT has great results.
As for the tires, I use the gel to coat it. I think I still have both Eagle One and Meguiars. Those aren't too bad for slingoff. Bold n Bright is better? How long does the shine usually last on tires?

Yea I was wonderin the same thing LameTL
Old 10-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Safety Car

Surfer, those items were merely suggestions. I would guess NXT Spray Wax would be ok. Can't comment much on it cause never used it. I've used Mothers QD, easy product to use and the results are good. Started using PB. I like the Bold n Bright, it's more of a matte finish instead of a shiny gloss. If you are satisfied with the products and the results you are currently using, stay with them.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Meg's SMR #9..........Klasse AIO........Klasse SG (2 coats).........S100!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][IMG]

[IMG][IMG]

[IMG][IMG]

Last edited by Vicman17; 10-16-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Instructor

While it's true that silver is hard to pop when compared to your blacks and reds - you can't beat its elegance when it is detailed right. I also like the fact that when its dirty - it still looks relatively good.

I've tried so many different combos on different paints over the years and probably the most important thing with any detail is the preparation before the wax or sealant. The AIO is an awesome one step product to clean your car and even throw down a little protection.

That being said I've found that the following make silver drip:

Clay
AIO or (P21S Paint Cleansing Lotion if your paint is new)
Poorboys EX-P or Wolfgang Sealant
Topped with either S100, Natty's, or Top of the Line Pizzaz

Granted this is usually accomplished over at least two days for me. If you do top off your sealant with a carnauba - then Sonus Carnauba Spritz or Clearkote Quickshine are my favorites to help add to the lifespan of the shortlived carnauba later on.

My two favorite places to buy my stuff are:

www.autogeek.net
www.pakshak.com

As a dark horse - Collinite Insulator wax is a beast that lasts a pretty long time.

Cheers