Protective film on car

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003 | 05:21 PM
Manny Tranny

Protective film on car

Does anyone know if Acura uses that protective film when transporting cars from the Assembly plant to the dealer?

I went to the garage where I am storing my CL for the winter and noticed a staight line going across hood. My first thought was it was a scratch. Then I looked at the length which starts on the left side of the hood, near the top, and runs all the way across the hood along the top (near windsheild). I can't clean it due to all the dust on the car. I hope it's just glue left from the protective film.

I plan to Zaino in the spring. Will this take the glue off, if it is glue, the surface?
Old 02-08-2003 | 05:30 PM
'Cooter

yeah the white almost shrink wrap stuff on the hood, roof, some of the doors, bumper, and trunk

u should b able to get it off
Old 02-10-2003 | 04:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

and if you can't get it off...get a clay bar...Zaino has it!
Old 02-10-2003 | 07:17 AM
Manny Tranny

Thanks guys for the feedback. I think I'm going to get the entire Zaino package. I noticed a nice little surface scratch yesturday around the gas tank door. It must have happened when the dealer put that "full tank of gas" in it. It's about 5 inches long in length and starts above the door and over the entire door.

No Zaino yet and it's holding a shine!!

Old 02-10-2003 | 08:19 AM
'Cooter

yeah she needs the Z...

then she needs a drop, some sways, some headers, some rims, etc etc etc
Old 02-10-2003 | 08:47 PM
Manny Tranny

Drops will be the very first thing, tint comes next. Then before long I'll probably need those sways because I'm used to hard cornering (former MR2 owner).
Old 02-11-2003 | 05:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: Protective film on car

Originally posted by stejus
Does anyone know if Acura uses that protective film when transporting cars from the Assembly plant to the dealer?
I had bits of white plastic on my 2001 CL Type-S when I picked it up. It had come off a truck and I didn't see any adhesive, but there were a few bits of plastic left around various locations.

That was back in late '01.

I went to the garage where I am storing my CL for the winter and noticed a staight line going across hood. My first thought was it was a scratch. Then I looked at the length which starts on the left side of the hood, near the top, and runs all the way across the hood along the top (near windsheild). I can't clean it due to all the dust on the car. I hope it's just glue left from the protective film.
There are numerous ways to get the stuff off. If some of the suggested methods don't work, try the 3-M adhesive remover. It will remove any wax (or Zaino). If you use the adhesive remover for tar, grease, etc down the road with Zaino or wax applied, just apply a bit of wax or Zaino back over the small area for renewed protection.

I plan to Zaino in the spring. Will this take the glue off, if it is glue, the surface?
IMO, if the glue is really sticky, you need an adhesive remover that is made (or is safe) for your car's paint. I also use a product called De-Solv-It and also use 3M’s adhesive remover.

If you happen to get the stuff off with clay and Dawn -- that would be fine and a required prep stage for any top-notch Zaino job...

Here is a picture and link for the 3M product. (Check your local Napa parts dealer; they generally carry the stuff for less $$$).

Griots link to 3M adhesive cleaner (3M part #08984)

Napa link to product (comes in various sizes and this is one link of many)
Old 02-11-2003 | 07:10 PM
Manny Tranny

EricL,

Thanks for the cleaner info. I'm pretty sure it's a film of glue that was on the edge of the film. Normal washing didn't take it off.

I'm going to wash it with Dawn (pre Zaino step) when we thaw out up here in MA. If that doesn't take it off, I'll try one of those cleaners.

Once I get it off with the cleaner, what should I do to prep the area for Zaino. This will be my first layer of Zaino.
Old 02-11-2003 | 10:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by stejus
EricL,

Thanks for the cleaner info. I'm pretty sure it's a film of glue that was on the edge of the film. Normal washing didn't take it off.

I'm going to wash it with Dawn (pre Zaino step) when we thaw out up here in MA. If that doesn't take it off, I'll try one of those cleaners.

Once I get it off with the cleaner, what should I do to prep the area for Zaino. This will be my first layer of Zaino.
Suggestion: IF you can get some easily, get some adhesive remover -- you will thank yourself.. Your really want to Dawn/Clay the car right before you apply the Zaino (Z2 or Z5 with ZFX) or Z1 + Z2/Z5.

To directly answer your question:

1. Use the adhesive remover (it is made by 3M and the people over on Autopia are in love with the stuff) to remove any adhesive, road tar, grease, etc on your car.

2. Just move to the Dawn/Clay prep and your good to go.

IMO, I really would try an adhesive remover (3M, De Solv It, Goo Gone, etc) before Dawning. The longer the adhesive sticks around, the harder it is going to be to remove it. (I'm not saying it wont come off, just that it is easier to remove adhesive when it hasn't had a chance to "dig-in.")