Process after washing car

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Process after washing car

I've been searching and searching...but haven't really gotten or found the answer I was looking for...so what is the process of maintaining your vehicle....such as....

wash your car
drying
wax with liquid
polish
clay
quick detailer spray
quick wax spray
etc....

can someone help me
Old 04-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wash your car
drying
clay (you can use quick detailer spray to lubricate on paint)
wash again
polish
compounding if necessary
glaze
wax
then sealant
Old 04-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by inyong1988
wash your car
drying
wash again
polish
compounding if necessary
glaze
wax
then sealant
you have some interesting steps here, and some are out of place...

anyway, the short answer is

wash
clay
polish
protect

not sure why you would wash after claying, and not sure why you would compound after polishing, and not sure why you would use a glaze if you polished correctly, unless your using dwg, which really isnt a glaze, and not sure why you would use a sealant over wax...most would use a carnuba over a sealant, but not the otherway around, since a sealant isnt going to beable to bond to a wax.....
Old 04-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
You might find something worthy here.....
Old 04-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vinnier6
you have some interesting steps here, and some are out of place...

anyway, the short answer is

wash
clay
polish
protect

not sure why you would wash after claying, and not sure why you would compound after polishing, and not sure why you would use a glaze if you polished correctly, unless your using dwg, which really isnt a glaze, and not sure why you would use a sealant over wax...most would use a carnuba over a sealant, but not the otherway around, since a sealant isnt going to beable to bond to a wax.....
Your short answer isn't really on exterior detailing. first of all, It's always recommended to wash your car after clay barring. You can wash off the left overs that the clay bar didn't pick up. (Please read some articles like "how-to-detail") You can compound your paint after polishing (A compound, often called a rubbing compound, is a cutting polish designed to remove heavy oxidation, some common forms of paint damage and defects, and the scratches created by fine sandpaper.)
please take your time and read the terms and you would actually understand the significance of each process.
Polish - A specially formulated blend of components designed to remove minor scratches, surface imperfections, water spots, acid rain spots, light oxidation, and the swirl marks created by compounding with a machine.
Glaze - A very fine polish. Some glazes are safe to use on fresh paint, as they do not seal. A glaze does not have enough cutting power to remove imperfections, but will increase surface gloss.
If you just want to wax it afterwards, that's totally fine. It's your car/choice. Sealants produce more durability than wax does. A Sealant can last up to 6 months+ under good conditions. They tend to be more reflective then a wax, this will help to make Metallic type paints "Pop"
a Majority of them are very easy to use - apply thin coat, allow it to cure or dry and wipe off. Removal, after curing, is just as easy as Carnauba.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Let me add a little to this.....1st off, we all have our own technique, what works for one, isnt necessarily, the bible for all.....My additions in bold....

Your short answer isn't really on exterior detailing. first of all, It's always recommended to wash your car after clay barring. I have heard of people adding this step but never found it necessary. If you find an advantage to this, well certainly continue it. I personally find this additional step an unnecessary step, which just adds time to my total detail. In all honesty, I have never rewashed a car after claying. I have usually found wiping clean with a microfiber suffice prior to polishing stages. You can wash off the left overs that the clay bar didn't pick up. If claying doesnt remove it, Im not sure how "washing" would. I mean if washing is removing what clay can't, why are we claying? (Please read some articles like "how-to-detail") Most how to's are simply guidlines to simply get one acclimated with the task at hand. No 2 details are alike, correct? Well, I guess if all you do is your own car and a family or friends car, not too much changes. I have done Bimmers in the past having to use differing techniques and altering products. You can compound your paint after polishing (A compound, often called a rubbing compound, is a cutting polish designed to remove heavy oxidation, some common forms of paint damage and defects, and the scratches created by fine sandpaper.)
please take your time and read the terms and you would actually understand the significance of each process.
Polish - A specially formulated blend of components designed to remove minor scratches, surface imperfections, water spots, acid rain spots, light oxidation, and the swirl marks created by compounding with a machine.
Glaze - A very fine polish. Some glazes are safe to use on fresh paint, as they do not seal. A glaze does not have enough cutting power to remove imperfections, but will increase surface gloss. Some have polishing characteristics, some dont!!
Once again, these terminologies (you have provided) are guidelines, and truthfully, I dont necessarily agree with these. In laymens terms, a compound is a polish. Its a combination of more concentrated abrasives and/or larger, even possibly harder abrasives (Depends purely on manufacturer). Compounds are generally used for more severe correction issues, which a "polish" cant repair/remove. "Polishes" are normally used AFTER compounds, to remove the hazing which is inherent with compounding.
If you just want to wax it afterwards, that's totally fine. It's your car/choice. Sealants produce (provide) more durability than wax does. A Sealant can last up to 6 months+ under good (Very ideal conditions, like a garage) conditions. They tend to be more reflective then a wax, this will help to make Metallic type paints "Pop". I think you will find many a Nuba users, argueing this point.
......Im a huge synthetic fan, matter of fact, I think the last Nuba I used was about 5 years ago, S100......Im so thoroughly satisfied with Polymer protection, I dont even recommend using them. By this Im not saying, "Dont use a Nuba!". Im simply saying I would recommend a synthetic over a nuba. Appearance wise, its purely subjective to taste, and my synthetics taste pretty dang good...... !

a Majority of them are very easy to use - apply thin coat, allow it to cure or dry and wipe off. Removal, after curing, is just as easy as Carnauba.
And theres my

Last edited by exceldetail; 04-05-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Let me add a little to this.....1st off, we all have our own technique, what works for one, isnt necessarily, the bible for all.....My additions in bold....

And theres my
You must have a lot of time on your hand. No need to bring up a word 'bible' on this simple conversation.

Last edited by inyong1988; 04-06-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:02 AM
Racer

i didn't mean to stir anything up guys...thanks for the much info i needed...sorry i'm a NOOB at this car/wash/detail thingy. just wanna do it right and the correct way the first time around so i can get the habit of doing it and i'm sure everyone has their own method that works for them...also i think alot of this is a matter of an opinion

exceldetail...i've read that thread a handful of times now and i still don't get it...can you or someone break it down to barney level...sorry i'm a noob

thanks all
Old 04-06-2009, 06:35 AM
Safety Car

glazes offer fillers, i wouldnt use a glaze, and i still dont understand why you would compound after polishing....if anything, i would do the heavy polishing(compounding) first, then polish....and trust me, you dont have to wash after claying....

and wax, then a sealant....well sir...thats just flat out doenst work...sealants wont bond to a wax....period
Old 04-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by warren4066
i didn't mean to stir anything up guys...thanks for the much info i needed...sorry i'm a NOOB at this car/wash/detail thingy. just wanna do it right and the correct way the first time around so i can get the habit of doing it and i'm sure everyone has their own method that works for them...also i think alot of this is a matter of an opinion

exceldetail...i've read that thread a handful of times now and i still don't get it...can you or someone break it down to barney level...sorry i'm a noob

thanks all
i will break it down short for you again....

wash your car
clay your car
polish your car
wax, or use a sealant to protect your finsih....

these are the steps in the basic order you want to use....now go and resarch a how to on each step....there are many places to find the how to's on each step.....
Old 04-06-2009, 07:10 AM
Banned

thanks all
Remember that your steps could vary by the condition of your car also.
I personally think you could learn more if you actually try it and see what the each product do and what's the proper way to apply them.

Either way, Gluck.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:41 PM
i like it dark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You must have a lot of time on your hand. No need to bring up a word 'bible' on this simple conversation.
you're a retard...sorry
Old 04-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BackinBlackTL
you're a retard...sorry
How so? Exactly why I love this forum.Random retards like you always come late to the party. Say sorry to your mom.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Definition of "bible" as used in post #6:
(lowercase) any book, reference work, periodical, etc., accepted as authoritative, informative, or reliable: He regarded that particular bird book as the birdwatchers' bible.

Now can we act like mature men? If anyone has anything constructive to say, please add, otherwise watch from the sidelines........
Old 04-06-2009, 05:05 PM
The Detailer

wash your car
drying
wash again
polish
compounding if necessary
glaze
wax
then sealant
How do the bolded steps make any sense???

Compounding is only necessary if a vehicle's paint requires it and is definitely more aggressive than a polish. Polish is usually what follows a compound (if compounding is necessary) and is great on its own where compounding isn't necessary. A glaze is usually a gloss enhancer and most of the time involves some filling.

Now for waxing and sealing, sealing after you wax will not benefit the user in any way, shape or form. The sealant wouldn't be allowed to chemically bond to the paint like it should so applying a sealant after wax may not be the "wrong way" for you but it's definitely not beneficial. The more accepted and traditional ways are either a) sealant, b) wax, or c) sealant followed by wax.

I'm really confused as to where you found the order of processes. However, if you feel this is what's right for you then go for it but please do not misinform other people and call yourself the "Master Detailer".
Old 04-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Racer

Order of Process

Denzil...

Ok, here's the deal. I just purchased my 05 TL...about a few weeks ago. I don't know the history of its wash/detail so I wanna start it off right. What is your order of process?

After the first makeover...what will be the routine wash/detail order of process?

Thanks in Advance
Old 04-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Banned

Definition of "bible" as used in post #6:
(lowercase) any book, reference work, periodical, etc., accepted as authoritative, informative, or reliable: He regarded that particular bird book as the birdwatchers' bible.

Now can we act like mature men? If anyone has anything constructive to say, please add, otherwise watch from the sidelines........
It wasn't really serious to begin with. I knew that you know more when it comes to detailing since I've read your reviews and other output. I just hope no one comes out of no where and try to create an argue over nonsense.

Back to topic.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Denzil
How do the bolded steps make any sense???

Compounding is only necessary if a vehicle's paint requires it and is definitely more aggressive than a polish. Polish is usually what follows a compound (if compounding is necessary) and is great on its own where compounding isn't necessary. A glaze is usually a gloss enhancer and most of the time involves some filling.

Now for waxing and sealing, sealing after you wax will not benefit the user in any way, shape or form. The sealant wouldn't be allowed to chemically bond to the paint like it should so applying a sealant after wax may not be the "wrong way" for you but it's definitely not beneficial. The more accepted and traditional ways are either a) sealant, b) wax, or c) sealant followed by wax.

I'm really confused as to where you found the order of processes. However, if you feel this is what's right for you then go for it but please do not misinform other people and call yourself the "Master Detailer".
Who said I called myself "master detailer?" trust me, I don't do detailing for living or sell stuffs that involves detailing.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:52 PM
The Detailer

Denzil...

Ok, here's the deal. I just purchased my 05 TL...about a few weeks ago. I don't know the history of its wash/detail so I wanna start it off right. What is your order of process?

After the first makeover...what will be the routine wash/detail order of process?

Thanks in Advance
In the ideal situation where you have everything you need, this is what I would do:
  1. Pressure wash vehicle with deionized water
  2. Spray down wheel wells and tires with Meg's Super Degreaser and CG Sticky Wheel Gel, agitate and pressure rinse
  3. Presoak problem areas such as tar, bugs, etc with Chemical Guys Strong Wash diluted 5:1
  4. Presoak vehicle with the foam cannon (2 oz of CG CWC and 1 oz of CG Strong Wash)
  5. Wash vehicle using the two bucket method and clay as I wash (I only clay as I wash when there is paint correction involved)
  6. Pressure rinse vehicle
  7. Dry vehicle
  8. Polish vehicle starting from least aggressive to more aggressive and when a combination is found, I finish my way down (usually the order is compound (if necessary) -> polish -> finish)
  9. Do an IPA wipe down to remove any remaining polishing oils
  10. Apply a LSP (sealant, wax, or sealant and wax)

After this is done, you can simply do maintenance washes with very mild car wash soap so that you don't strip your protection. If you decided to protect your wheels as well, most of the time all you'll need to clean them is to pressure wash them and use car wash soap and water. I usually use a separate bucket of car wash soap and water to wash my wheels and I usually do my wheels before anything else. Also, if washing in the sun, it's really key to use deionized water so you don't get water spots!

As far as applying your LSP throughout the year, the rule of thumb for reapplication is usually about a month to two months but it varies with weather conditions and the type of LSP you're using. There are quite a bit of factors but it doesn't hurt to reapply your LSP very often... you'll just be spending a little more often for your LSP's, hehe.

Hope this information helps.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Safety Car

Who said I called myself "master detailer?" trust me, I don't do detailing for living or sell stuffs that involves detailing.
then why on earth did you get all wound up when i corrected your out of order process when the original poster just wanted some simple help...

not to mention the insults you threw at one of the local vendors and guys who has been credited to helping some if not most of us in getting started in the fine art of detailing as a hobby....
Old 04-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Banned

then why on earth did you get all wound up when i corrected your out of order process when the original poster just wanted some simple help...

not to mention the insults you threw at one of the local vendors and guys who has been credited to helping some if not most of us in getting started in the fine art of detailing as a hobby....
You might know the simple staffs of detailing, but you seem too stupid to know how to make your car looks new when your paint is almost/completely messed up. I was just telling him What I have been reading/learning. Just like everyone says, Everyone has their ways/preference to detail cars. Not a big deal.

Insults? What made you think I insulted him? saying that he has a lot of time on his hands?

seriously, Move on.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Banned

You might know the simple staffs of detailing, but you seem too stupid to know how to make your car looks new when your paint is almost/completely messed up. I was just telling him What I have been reading/learning. Just like everyone says, Everyone has their ways/preference to detail cars. Not a big deal.

Insults? What made you think I insulted him? saying that he has a lot of time on his hands?

seriously, Move on.
steps*
Old 04-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Instructor

thanks warren4066 for asking and thanks denzil for putting it into noob language... i was gonna ask the same question
Old 04-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Inyo............please........? Your not getting off on the right foot here.
Please keep all criticism, constructive. A simple request, avoid name calling (that goes for everyone). A little harmony is what keeps this place ummmmm, an ever better place. We all like to think we know it all, but we never lay claim to that.
Lets see if we can give Warren what hes looking for. After all, he did come here seeking advice, and its been all but friendly.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:27 AM
Banned

Please keep all criticism, constructive. A simple request, avoid name calling (that goes for everyone). A little harmony is what keeps this place ummmmm, an ever better place. We all like to think we know it all, but we never lay claim to that.
Lets see if we can give Warren what hes looking for. After all, he did come here seeking advice, and its been all but friendly.
Talk to yourself man. Let it die. I thought you were mature than this, As I posted it earlier, I'm done. stop quoting and trying to start over. Let's just keep on topic, and WTF is inyo?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Talk to yourself man. Let it die. I thought you were mature than this, As I posted it earlier, I'm done. stop quoting and trying to start over. Let's just keep on topic, and WTF is inyo?
Holy cow........inyong1988 ? My apologies for not formalizing your username.
How does one talk to himself, online? I give..........
Your maturity obviously is greater then mine as your previous replies have indicated.
I tried guys.
Inyong1988, you can now face the dogs on your own.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:02 AM
The Detailer

Sounds like hypocrisy... way to go buddy... way... to... go.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Safety Car

seriously, Move on.
your real age is becomming very clear to me...you sound like your about 17 and with a world of experiences you speak so well....

my final imput....your an asshole
Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 AM
Banned

Holy cow........inyong1988 ? My apologies for not formalizing your username.
How does one talk to himself, online? I give..........
Your maturity obviously is greater then mine as your previous replies have indicated.
I tried guys.
Inyong1988, you can now face the dogs on your own.
your real age is becomming very clear to me...you sound like your about 17 and with a world of experiences you speak so well....

Hypocrite.
You both really sound like idiots.
Keep doing what your doing and make such a big deal. I was guessing your about 18 and your age appear as 39. Good one.

Bottom line, hey detailer. You didn't try shit but trying to act smart and proves that you have a lot of your time on hands.

Keep quoting, let's see how far this kiddy talk leads us.

Last edited by inyong1988; 04-07-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts

I would imagine the 1988 in the username to mean he's 20 or 21.

Ignore it.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:45 AM
i like it dark

How so? Exactly why I love this forum.Random retards like you always come late to the party. Say sorry to your mom.
listen little guy, you're coming at two of the most experienced/respected members on this wash and wax forum (not me)...their "today's detail" posts explain it all...for real, if your house is tall enough, jump off of it

and, nova is close enough for me to drive my dirty car out there, have you detail it the way exceldetail TELLS you to, and then beat the living piss out of you for bringing up my mother

Last edited by BackinBlackTL; 04-07-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Safety Car

listen little guy, you're coming at two of the most experienced/respected members on this wash and wax forum (not me)...their "today's detail" posts explain it all...for real, if your house is tall enough, jump off of it

and, nova is close enough for me to drive my dirty car out there, have you detail it the way exceldetail TELLS you to, and then beat the living piss out of you for bringing up my mother
you mean his parents house....this guy totally lives at home with mom and dad....not that there is anything wrong with that, as i used to enjoy the free food and heat that parents provide freeloading kids....
Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Banned

Lmao. Another dumb ass e thug on this board. Ey. If you actually read entire thread of this. You'll see I'm not here to correct these major detailer, I even mentioned that I learned few things here and there from their reviews.
However, I don't do detailing for living so bring your car to your local wash.

If your serious about coming over and beat me up please go ahead. Pm me I'll send you my address
Old 04-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Banned

you mean his parents house....this guy totally lives at home with mom and dad....not that there is anything wrong with that, as i used to enjoy the free food and heat that parents provide freeloading kids....
Stop telling me what your doing to your retarded generation. Enough with that.

However, you tried but another false statement. Next?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:25 AM
i like it dark

Stop telling me what your doing to your retarded generation. Enough with that.

However, you tried but another false statement. Next?
did your mother have any kids that actually lived?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:30 AM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 04-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Banned

did your mother have any kids that actually lived?
Yes she did. What about your mom?
Did you get dropped on the ground when you were 1 or 2? Or did your mother happened to smoke something that he shouldnt when she had you? You don't seem normal. I feel bad for your mother badly.

Where's the PM? Aren't you brave enough to come over or your just another e thug that only talks? Please come over and touch me once and I'll show you the rest little guy. (no homo) and yes. I'm being serious.

Last edited by inyong1988; 04-07-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:41 AM
i like it dark

Yes she did. What about your mom?
Did you get dropped on the ground when you were 1 or 2? Or did your mother happened to smoke something that he shouldnt when she had you? You don't seem normal. I feel bad for your mother badly.

Where's the PM? Aren't you brave enough to come over or your just another e thug that only talks? Please come over and touch me once and I'll show you the rest little guy. (no homo) and yes. I'm being serious.
pot calling the kettle black...done with this one, sorry OP for the shit show, hope you got the info you need from vinnier or excel, basically the only ones worth listening to

and inyo (yes, thats you fuck head), youre the one who needs to PM the address...ill let you know when im on my way
Old 04-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Banned

pot calling the kettle black...done with this one, sorry OP for the shit show, hope you got the info you need from vinnier or excel, basically the only ones worth listening to

and inyo (yes, thats you fuck head), youre the one who needs to PM the address...ill let you know when im on my way
You'll let me know when you're on the way? You are fagget.

Next time. Just stay in the corner and please watch the fuck out what you're saying online. Now go grab a beer and chill the fuck out fuck little head. End of conversation.

I'm done with this thread too, back on topic. Please.

Last edited by inyong1988; 04-07-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:58 AM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hope you got the info you need from vinnier or excel, basically the only ones worth listening to
Don't forget about Denzil!

Quick Reply: Process after washing car