Pro/Con of using a buffer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 05:15 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pro/Con of using a buffer?

This may be a noob detailing question but what are the pros/cons to using a buffer.

I have been using elbow grease for years on my cars but I wonder if I can keep my cars in better shape with less work.

My fear would be damaging the paint.

Thanks!!!!
Old 09-03-2004, 09:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Im assuming your talking about a PC 7424....
Pros: Ability to remove oxidation, swirls, scratches are above and beyond what a "handjob" could ecen dream of.... Speed, 0-60 quicker than your Acura.
Cons: Well, ya have to fork out about $130.00 to get you going, then your going to discover every product ever made for car care, so you can see how rad you can get your car. Then you will discover your analness about car care, youll be driving around puddles, avoiding shade trees (sap, bird crap). Need i continue?
Old 09-06-2004, 08:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vanwall
This may be a noob detailing question but what are the pros/cons to using a buffer.

I have been using elbow grease for years on my cars but I wonder if I can keep my cars in better shape with less work.

My fear would be damaging the paint.

Thanks!!!!
If you plan to use an ordinary buffer, the orbital buffer kinds are OK. They simulate the circular motions of the hand and does not leave swirl marks provided you use the right pads. The rotary buffers similar to the ones who do wood work just rotate and does not do random orbit. You run the risk of "burning" the paint if you concentrate on one area with this one. Smaller RO buffers like a 6" is good but requires more work, the advantage is you can get into smaller nooks and crannies than the bigger babies. The 7" to 10" ones are for good for beginners. I have an older Black and Decker with a harder to find 7" head and I just picked up a Simoniz 8" for about $20. Go for the reputable brands 'coz I know these cheaper Made in China ones break easy. Also make sure the pads sizes are readily available.

Someday, I WILL graduate to the Porter Cable and it's intricate choices of buffing pads. But I fear what exceldetail said about being paranoid of where you park, etc.. is starting to grow on me even with using the ordinary buffer.