pre-wax cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2001, 04:11 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
pre-wax cleaner?

I was going to use a clay bar, then a pre-wax cleaner, and then some Meguiars gold class wax. Does this some like a good combo or should I use a polish before I wax? The car is silver so I don't know if I'll even be able to tell a difference using a polish on a silver car.

------------------
Now it's time for me to make my impression felt
So sit back, relax, and strap on your seatbelt
You never been on a ride like this befo'
Old 05-12-2001, 09:37 PM
Adult Supervision

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds fine. The clay will really be cleaning it up and making it very smooth. How many miles on the car and is it garaged and does it have a lot of scratches etc...tell us more about the condition. Also, how much are you willing to spend - for the best shines you might consider the zaino routine or a glaze line Klasse before waxing.

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 9005, Polarg M6, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no CAI, no money! (but I got a nice new kitchen!)
Old 05-13-2001, 11:00 PM
Advanced

I have silver! Definately clay the car, a precleaner wont be needed after the clay. then apply your favorite wax / sealant. I use zaino. Gold class has a nice shine, but the consensus is it doesnt last more than a few washes and gloss drops quickly. use what works best for you.
Old 05-14-2001, 12:49 PM
Advanced

I use Meguiar's Gold Class and I am closing in on 2 months and at least 7 washes now and the finish still looks great, water beads nicely, etc. I used the clay bar, then the Gold Class Clear Coat Prep and then the Gold Class Wax and I was really pleased with the results. I'd suggest using both products. They are very easy to apply and the Prep gets rid of any swirls you might have and adds some nice depth to the paint.

Apply the Prep in a thin, even coat and make sure it's fully dry or it can be a bear to remove. I put it on during a very humid afternoon and I had a tough time getting it off, so I just let the car sit overnight and in the morning, the Prep coat practically dusted off. The wax was a breeze. I keep it up with the Quik Detailer Spray.

------------------
2001 CL Type S, Nighthawk Black, Parchment Interior, Non-Nav, Rear Wing, Tint
Old 05-16-2001, 11:17 AM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I haven't seen the gold class clear coat prep is that just the gold class cleaner wax, or is Clear coat prep the actually name.

------------------
Now it's time for me to make my impression felt
So sit back, relax, and strap on your seatbelt
You never been on a ride like this befo'
Old 05-16-2001, 12:01 PM
Advanced

It's called "Clear Coat Prep and Swirl Reducer", and it's product number G-7316. It's good to use on your car as a prep coat even if you don't have swirls.

By the way, after you clay bar, use dishwashing liquid to make sure your paint is stripped down before you start with any wax. Use plenty of lubricant (like the Quik Detailer spray they sell) when you rub the bar against your paint. If you get some excess clay on the paint, don't worry. It'll come right off with the wax.

I have to tell you that Meguiar's car wash liquid is crap. Suds don't last at all, especially in hard water. I use Armor-All Car Wash Concentrate and it works very nicely.

------------------
2001 CL Type S, Nighthawk Black, Parchment Interior, Non-Nav, Rear Wing, Tint