Post Wash & Wax

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:00 PM
BrownBuck

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
At first i was excited to open this thread seeing how it has 30+ replies.....smh...

DUDES....relax thanks for all the information from both of you. I like the swiffer dusters idea...HMMMMMMM doesn't take long and could use it whenever it gets real bad looking...i plan on washing my car only once a month. I don't have the time/money/energy to do it any more than that...i plan on waxing it once every 6 months(complete wash/wax) so if i can just use something that won't scratch my clear coat and paint like a duster of some sort it might work! Also i will think about getting some of the products mentioned in here right after wash or during wash that claim to have anti-static properties.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by BrownBuck
At first i was excited to open this thread seeing how it has 30+ replies.....smh...

DUDES....relax thanks for all the information from both of you. I like the swiffer dusters idea...HMMMMMMM doesn't take long and could use it whenever it gets real bad looking...i plan on washing my car only once a month. I don't have the time/money/energy to do it any more than that...i plan on waxing it once every 6 months(complete wash/wax) so if i can just use something that won't scratch my clear coat and paint like a duster of some sort it might work! Also i will think about getting some of the products mentioned in here right after wash or during wash that claim to have anti-static properties.
Before you use it on your car .. use it on a clean window in your house to see it its going to leave a residue .. Some Swiffers do ... I stopped using it on our hardwood floors because of that ..

As mentioned above ... any dry wiping has the potential to mar.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

lol washing your car once a month and using your duster will ruin your paint. And we will be here to tell you we told you so, and help you fix it.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my opinion, you would be a good candidate for a rinseless wash product, such as ONR.

If you can find a half hour or so every couple weeks, I would give the car a quick wash using ONR. During your monthly washes, when you have a little more time to clean the car, you could clean areas such as wheel wells, door jambs, etc. I would then leave the dust alone in between biweekly washes.

If you plan on only waxing once every 6 months, I would recommend using sealant. Sealant typically lasts longer than carnauba wax. Another option is to invest in having a professional detail your car and then apply a coating such as Opti-Coat; after that, all you would really need to worry about is washing the car.

Originally Posted by OntheJob
lol washing your car once a month and using your duster will ruin your paint. And we will be here to tell you we told you so, and help you fix it.
Only washing monthly may not ruin the paint; obviously, depending on what is on the paint. If tree sap/bird bombs are left on there until the next wash, then yes, it can and most likely, will; but if its a layer of dust that has accumulated over the period of the month, the paint should be fine (albeit the car being dirty). It may actually even save any added marring caused by the washing/drying process.

Using a duster typically means dry wiping, and as Jesstzn stated, it has the potential to mar the paint (BrownBuck, this means swirl marks, etc.).
Old 04-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha07
In my opinion, you would be a good candidate for a rinseless wash product, such as ONR.

If you can find a half hour or so every couple weeks, I would give the car a quick wash using ONR. During your monthly washes, when you have a little more time to clean the car, you could clean areas such as wheel wells, door jambs, etc. I would then leave the dust alone in between biweekly washes.

If you plan on only waxing once every 6 months, I would recommend using sealant. Sealant typically lasts longer than carnauba wax. Another option is to invest in having a professional detail your car and then apply a coating such as Opti-Coat; after that, all you would really need to worry about is washing the car.

Only washing monthly may not ruin the paint; obviously, depending on what is on the paint. If tree sap/bird bombs are left on there until the next wash, then yes, it can and most likely, will; but if its a layer of dust that has accumulated over the period of the month, the paint should be fine (albeit the car being dirty). It may actually even save any added marring caused by the washing/drying process.

Using a duster typically means dry wiping, and as Jesstzn stated, it has the potential to mar the paint (BrownBuck, this means swirl marks, etc.).
I was refering to him washing the car once a month and using the duster to dust it.. lets just hope he at least washes it first. either way good luck
Old 04-10-2012, 10:07 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Geez, I go away for a short time and this forum goes nuts!

Anyone who has been on this forum for a while knows that I have detail OCD and I got it bad. I have a NBP TL and commute ~80 miles per day. Every day is "show car" day for me!

I use a CA Duster every day as long as the weather is cooperating. The CA duster works but has its limits. It will not work properly if your car is really dirty or the paint surface is not smooth from claying and/or polishing. I posted a "How To" thread on how to properly use a CA duster. I also included my thread on how to use ONR. See the links below.

LINK: How to Perform Daily Paint Maintenance Using the Duster and QD

LINK: Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine - Review With Pics

Last edited by SweetJazz; 04-10-2012 at 10:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BrownBuck (04-12-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM
i like it dark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wont rub anything on my paint without a lubricant. but then again, i would never use a QD or CA duster. i'd rather just wash the car again real fast and dry properly.

if i were to wash my car one day, and lets say i do no more than 3-4 miles of driving then in the driveway for the night---i would spray the car down thoroughly the following day, and then dry with waffle weave and use some QD. anything that leaves a noticeable amount of dust/pollen/whatever, the car is getting re-washed
Old 04-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531
^me likey! I tried using a mop and it didn't work.
I tried using a "car wash mop" on my old '99 Plymouth Breeze, that resulted in the driver-side windshield washer nozzle being shredded in half the night before selling the car
Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by SweetJazz

Guess you can never leave again!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:51 AM
BrownBuck

Originally Posted by SweetJazz

Anyone who has been on this forum for a while knows that I have detail OCD and I got it bad. I have a NBP TL and commute ~80 miles per day. Every day is "show car" day for me!

I use a CA Duster every day as long as the weather is cooperating. The CA duster works but has its limits. It will not work properly if your car is really dirty or the paint surface is not smooth from claying and/or polishing. I posted a "How To" thread on how to properly use a CA duster. I also included my thread on how to use ONR. See the links below.

LINK: How to Perform Daily Paint Maintenance Using the Duster and QD

LINK: Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine - Review With Pics
Damn you are awewsome....this might be my answer to "in between" wash cleaning!

Just to make it very clear, i want to post some pics and get a final vote on which method i should go.

From what i understand i shouldn't just use the duster dry otherwise it could be an issue with paint marring. But CA duster if done right could be used along with QD after?

And if it's REALLY dirty do the ONR followed by QD(if one wants?)

Here are my pics. Today while walking through the work parking lot i made it a point to look at other cars and they are all exactly like mine. The weather sucks here!

Here is another one
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/254/imag0946.jpg/
Old 04-13-2012, 10:22 AM
BrownBuck

I'm thinking of picking up some ONR from autozone or walmart today and a CA brush from walmart(heard they got em for cheap). Also some QD. I already have like 6 MF clothes...so i should be good..but i might pick up some more since they have buy 3 get 3 free.

This might be a dumb question, but how do you clean the MF clothes? do you just wash them with water and ring em out? what if you have heavily soiled ones? i threw some in the washer dryer and wonder if they are still going to be okay and not mar my car?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Suzuka Master

This might be a dumb question, but how do you clean the MF clothes? do you just wash them with water and ring em out? what if you have heavily soiled ones? i threw some in the washer dryer and wonder if they are still going to be okay and not mar my car?
I wash mine in the clothes washer .. if its a top loader use Blue Dawn ... if its s front loader .. use less Blue Dawn dish soap. No fabric softener. I either hang to dry or in the dryer .. again .. no fabric softener.

If you have a Costco near you get towels there .. the yellow ones are good.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:33 AM
BrownBuck

Originally Posted by OntheJob
I don't follow...you mean if i just use ANY duster right? If i follow sweetjazz's method i should be okay?!

How often do you wash your car?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Here are my pics. Today while walking through the work parking lot i made it a point to look at other cars and they are all exactly like mine. The weather sucks here!

Here is another one
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/254/imag0946.jpg/
That looks like a dusty car that has been rained on or sprinkled ...I wouldn't use a CD on it as the spots will be adhered to the surface. And even if it wasn't rained on it would be wayyyy to dusty.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:55 AM
BrownBuck

yep....you are correct, it was rained on.. I am planning on doing ONR on this one, but in the future before it gets rained on do the CAduster
Old 04-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Suzuka Master

yep....you are correct, it was rained on.. I am planning on doing ONR on this one, but in the future before it gets rained on do the CAduster
If in the future its that dusty I wouldn't use the CD even with no rain .. thats wayyy too much .
Old 04-13-2012, 11:10 AM
BrownBuck

you think so? see what i mean! I bet it's from all the construction going on around here....makes me so mad.

Do you think it's too much for ONR wash too? i heard if it's real bad you should jus do the traditional wash.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
That looks fine for ONR washes.
Make sure you dilute the ONR to QD ratio (With distilled water) in a sprayer bottle. Mist the ONR on the panel first, then you can proceed to do the ONR wash via buckets/grit guards/grout sponge.
BrownBuck (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 03:21 PM
BrownBuck

Originally Posted by CU2MIKE
That looks fine for ONR washes.
Make sure you dilute the ONR to QD ratio (With distilled water) in a sprayer bottle. Mist the ONR on the panel first, then you can proceed to do the ONR wash via buckets/grit guards/grout sponge.
So you are saying i should do a "pre soak" of the stuff at QD ratio? how would i know this? will it be written somewehre if i buy the ONR on how to dilute it to QD ratio?
Old 04-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
It'll be on the ONR bottle, I think it's 1:6 or 1:8, I forgot.
But yes, if it's dirty then got rained on, and looks like that in the picture, definitely do a pre-soak.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm thinking of picking up some ONR from autozone or walmart today
FYI, ONR is not available at Walmart nor Autozone. Here is the list of Optimum's distributors: http://optimumcarcare.com/distributers.php?false=false

Originally Posted by CU2MIKE
It'll be on the ONR bottle, I think it's 1:6 or 1:8, I forgot.
But yes, if it's dirty then got rained on, and looks like that in the picture, definitely do a pre-soak.
Older versions were 6oz/1gal; the newer versions are 8oz/1gal.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:47 AM
BrownBuck

Thanks fellas can't wait that long to clean her lol. I'm going to hit up the automatic wash today. Don't worry its hand washing. It's just easier for me cuz I like the high pressure rinse. I'll still order all this stuff for the future. She's so dirty I can't wait :p
Old 04-14-2012, 01:39 PM
2016 E350 Sport

This car is way too dirty for a Duster or ONRWS in my opinion. You will most likely mar the paint if you do. There are limitations for using the Duster or ONRWS. One option is to use a pressure washer to get the bulk of the dirt off and then follow with a ONRWS wash.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:39 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
If in the future its that dusty I wouldn't use the CD even with no rain .. thats wayyy too much .
Agreed.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:49 AM
BrownBuck

Originally Posted by alpha07
FYI, ONR is not available at Walmart nor Autozone. Here is the list of Optimum's distributors: http://optimumcarcare.com/distributers.php?false=false

Older versions were 6oz/1gal; the newer versions are 8oz/1gal.

Wow those are the only distributers in the US? this stuff must be really new if walmart doesn't have it lol where do you guys get yours from? I guess i'll have to order it online.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:07 AM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
Wow those are the only distributers in the US? this stuff must be really new if walmart doesn't have it lol where do you guys get yours from? I guess i'll have to order it online.
It will probably never find its way onto Walmart's shelves. It's not a mainstream product like Armor All and Meguiars.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:11 PM
BrownBuck

Okay, i'll just look for some on autogeek or other websites listed on here...

Here are some post wash pics of my car from today. It's OKAY! i didn't do any wax or anything...just washed it and rinsed it with something called "spot free rinse" at the carwash.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/imag0962u.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/imag0964b.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/imag0965.jpg/'
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/imag0966hd.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/688/imag0968x.jpg/

By brownbuck at 2012-04-15

By brownbuck at 2012-04-15
Old 04-15-2012, 06:10 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
the dusty rain spotted condition of the car....you can use ONR, BUT i would either do a pretreat OR run the hose on it to rinse off all the crap, then proceed with ONR wash with 2 buckets.

like jesstzn said DO NOT use a duster if your car looks like that. if you have a light dusting-emphasis on light, then gently take the cali duster over the car. i've used one for years and with certain conditions you can use it. when my TL used to live outside under a car cover, i would use the duster, then maybe do a QD wipe down before i put the cover on (this was a daily routine as long as it has not rained which would render the car dirty a that point-then ONR wash). thankfully i park in garages at work so no environmental crap falls on the car.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, you seem to now a lot about keeping a car clean so I would appreciate some advice. I have a new 2012 TL Sliver Moon color. I read somewhere here on that there is a product to wash your car in that helps draw the debris to the bottom of the bucket, any idea what Im talking about? Also, I bought Meguirs Brazilian Carnauba wax, any opinion about this product? Sorry to bother you and thanks for your help.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Silver Moon
Hi, you seem to now a lot about keeping a car clean so I would appreciate some advice. I have a new 2012 TL Sliver Moon color. I read somewhere here on that there is a product to wash your car in that helps draw the debris to the bottom of the bucket, any idea what Im talking about? Also, I bought Meguirs Brazilian Carnauba wax, any opinion about this product? Sorry to bother you and thanks for your help.

Its called a grit guard and you can buy them or make your own out of the egg crate lens from a flouresent fixture.

As for the wax .. sorry ... never used it .
Old 04-16-2012, 05:51 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
^^what he said.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:09 AM
JJH
Drifting

Originally Posted by Silver Moon
I'd look over your cars current condition and see if it needs more than just a wax. It may already have swirling and marring in the paint form the dealership. It may even need clayed. As for the wax, carnauba is generally used as a LSP(Last Step Product). You might want to consider picking up a heavy duty sealant that will do more in terms of protection for your car and then follow up the sealant with the carnauba wax that your purchased.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:36 PM
BrownBuck

Originally Posted by JJH
I'd look over your cars current condition and see if it needs more than just a wax. It may already have swirling and marring in the paint form the dealership. It may even need clayed. As for the wax, carnauba is generally used as a LSP(Last Step Product). You might want to consider picking up a heavy duty sealant that will do more in terms of protection for your car and then follow up the sealant with the carnauba wax that your purchased.
I noticed another user also told me to use "sealant". But other people have told me that the wax step IS the sealant? I don't get it...is there a specific product that is refered to as "sealant"? that can be used PRE-WAX?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Suzuka Master

I noticed another user also told me to use "sealant". But other people have told me that the wax step IS the sealant? I don't get it...is there a specific product that is refered to as "sealant"? that can be used PRE-WAX?
There is a couple basic protectants for car paint

1) Waxes etc that dry on the paint and are buffed off. Usualy carnuba based

2) Sealants which actually bond ( crosslink ) to the paint and give a lot longer protection.

Carnubas give a deeper shine but don't last long on dark cars in sunny climates.

Sealants usally have a more generic shine lacking as much depth as a carnuba.

Carnubas can be used over sealants but selants don't work well over carnubas because the cant bond.

In reality adding a carnuba over a sealant doesn't benifit much outside of cosmetic in fact some of the carnubas have cleaners in them and will degrade the sealant and reduce its life.

^^^^ Very basic

Last edited by Jesstzn; 04-16-2012 at 02:55 PM.
BrownBuck (04-17-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 151 Likes on 145 Posts
^^^ What he said he knows what he is talking about.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:55 AM
BrownBuck

thanks jesstzn! sounds good.

I screwed up on my last wash and now have micro scratches in some places so mad at myself.....but they are so tiny i'm sure some product or buffing can fix it? or maybe a good polish. I used the foam brush at the car wash(i should have known better) But i figured if i rinse it with high pressure wash that the brush would be OKAY to use....blah

So now i'm just thinkin about taking it to a local detailer. I got a groupon for it so! will post pics after that! thanks!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Suzuka Master

So now i'm just thinkin about taking it to a local detailer. I got a groupon for it so! will post pics after that! thanks!
Just make sure the detailer isn't some $30 hack thats going to load your car up with fillers and do more damage than you have now .. which you won't see till you wash of the glaze / wax he uses.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 AM
JJH
Drifting

Don't ever use the foam brush at the car wash (you know that now).
You have no idea what is in there or what it was used for before you rub it on your paint.

Don't take it to a local detailer as he already said. If the detail job is not costing you $xxx, it's probably not worth it. The term "detailing" is used very very loosely. If you care about the protection of your car more than the average new car owner, invest in some of your own equipment and learn the hobby yourself. It's a great skill to have.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JJH
Don't take it to a local detailer as he already said. If the detail job is not costing you $xxx, it's probably not worth it. The term "detailing" is used very very loosely..
Not all of us are hacks ... usually the ones giving out discounts do so for a reason ... to drum up fast out the door business..

He just needs to make sure the guy is actually polishing out the issues ... find out how and what he uses.