Post Wash & Wax

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:59 PM
BrownBuck

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Post Wash & Wax

Hey all!

It's been about 1 month since i got my 2007 TLS CBP!! love it! But i feel like the thing attracts dust like it's business.

I washed it for the first time on sunday and in couple of days i look at the back of the car and it's got a good layer of dust. Sure sometimes you can't help it and depends where you drive and all that jazz...but is there a product that would repel the dust and keep it clean looking longer?

Just wondering! thanks!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Although I have no personal experience with them, a lot of your nano and ceramic coatings claim to have dust repelling properties. Products such as AQuartz, Opti-Coat, Wolf's Body Wrap and G-Techniq (if you can get a hold of some in the US)
Old 04-04-2012, 09:12 PM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
California Duster will be your friend once your car is properly sealed and protected.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by JJH
California Duster will be your friend once your car is properly sealed and protected.
And if not used properly or in the right instances your worst enemy .. should only be used on the lightest of dust if at all ..

In all the years I have been doing this nothing is going to repel the dust collected at the rear of the car due to the vacuum created in that area. This dust can be very abrasive and wiping it down or using a Calif Duster on it can lead to some unwelcome suprises.
The following users liked this post:
mY sLOW UA6 (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 151 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
And if not used properly or in the right instances your worst enemy .. should only be used on the lightest of dust if at all ..

In all the years I have been doing this nothing is going to repel the dust collected at the rear of the car due to the vacuum created in that area. This dust can be very abrasive and wiping it down or using a Calif Duster on it can lead to some unwelcome suprises.
+15558628955896658 never try and wipe a dusty car down without some sort of lubricant you will have a ton of swirls. If you know how to properly use quick detailer that would be your best bet. Just make sure it is only a very light coating of dust you are wiping down, otherwise just do a traditional wash. 2 bucket method .
Old 04-05-2012, 01:36 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mY sLOW UA6
If you know how to properly use quick detailer that would be your best bet. Just make sure it is only a very light coating of dust you are wiping down, otherwise just do a traditional wash. 2 bucket method .
And even at that, some quick detailer products don't really have much, if any, cleaning ability.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:48 AM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
ummmm....where do you live?
Could it be pollen?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:13 AM
BrownBuck

Midwest! columbus ohio

I know!!!!!! that's why i never wipe it down just straight up, i don't wanna screw up the clear coat/paint job. i wish i had leaf blower or something lol
I'll have to look into the products mentioned above...has anyone used those?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by alpha07
And even at that, some quick detailer products don't really have much, if any, cleaning ability.
Thats where people run into problems .. QDs were originally put out to add a little extra "pop" after the wash but people started to use them to remove dust.

The only time I ever use a QD is if I go to a car show and the road down was very clean and then I'll just QD the top and sides sans the rear quarter panels and I never do the rear of the trunk or rear bumper. For those I carry a small container of ONR and use that for them "then" I will QD those areas.

Its one of the reasons my car, even being white, refelects like this .. I'm not micro marring the hell out of it.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:24 PM
BrownBuck

forgive me! noob here...what's ONR?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BrownBuck
forgive me! noob here...what's ONR?
Optimum No Rinse
Old 04-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts

California Duster, used properly, can take most, if not all, dust without causing any damages. I'm taking this from a lot of detailing site (just pointing it out).

ONR is still the best way to go diluted with a good waffle weave microfiber towel. Even a good QD works well.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
California Duster, used properly, can take most, if not all, dust without causing any damages. I'm taking this from a lot of detailing site (just pointing it out).

ONR is still the best way to go diluted with a good waffle weave microfiber towel. Even a good QD works well.
But not from experience .. so your recommending QDing a dusty / pollen covered car when the people that have been doing this type of work / hobby for years are saying different ..

99% of the people that will tell you its fine are not driving black or dark colored cars that are polished out to perfecr or near perfect .. they are driving lighter colored cars or their paint is far from perfect to start with.... or they are selling the products.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But not from experience .. so your recommending QDing a dusty / pollen covered car when the people that have been doing this type of work / hobby for years are saying different ..

99% of the people that will tell you its fine are not driving black or dark colored cars that are polished out to perfecr or near perfect .. they are driving lighter colored cars or their paint is far from perfect to start with.... or they are selling the products.
I agree.

If for some reason you really want to get the dust off between washes, I would look into using a waterless wash product. I haven't personally dabbled with waterless wash yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a bit of a learning curve with using it. I've also read that you can dilute ONR at 8oz/1gal and use it as a waterless wash (I'm planning to mix a bottle to try this). Optimum recommends a 6oz/1gal dilution ratio for use as a QD.

Personally, I don't worry about the dust between car washes; but then again my daily driver is white. I just don't want to worry about excessively marring the finish because of dust.

Last edited by alpha07; 04-05-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Wash more frequently? During the summer months I'll wash it at least once a week if not more. Last summer I was experimenting with applying FK425 QD after washes. It claims to have anti-static properties and helps to lessen dust accumulations. It works decent. In comparison to the other QD's I've used, I say it has a slight edge but that may have been due to the environmental conditions. I don't specifically remember if it was windy on so and so day so my "experiment" wasn't controlled at all. Give it a try and see how it works for you. I wouldn't recommend using it alone to remove dust though. I only ever use QD's after a proper wash.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:02 PM

A little experience, not much, but I have been using one for almost a year with no problems. I've done QD on my car and never had a problem and our weather in the summer is far worse then yours.

And I have a black car.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thats where people run into problems .. QDs were originally put out to add a little extra "pop" after the wash but people started to use them to remove dust.

The only time I ever use a QD is if I go to a car show and the road down was very clean and then I'll just QD the top and sides sans the rear quarter panels and I never do the rear of the trunk or rear bumper. For those I carry a small container of ONR and use that for them "then" I will QD those areas.

Its one of the reasons my car, even being white, refelects like this .. I'm not micro marring the hell out of it.

Thanks lol, I meant to say ONR but I ended up typing QD my mistake. And yes never use QD to clean a car it is really meant for when you are drying it after a wash.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

As Jesstzn stated above you should have reflectivity like this.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 PM

And I also didn't mean to say QD on a heavily soiled car. I use on something light/light dust.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Suzuka Master

A little experience, not much, but I have been using one for almost a year with no problems. I've done QD on my car and never had a problem and our weather in the summer is far worse then yours.

And I have a black car.
After your spiderwebbing from a poor wash job and the $35 detail you wouldn't notice if the Calif Duster was doing anything or not.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:50 PM

After your spiderwebbing from a poor wash job and the $35 detail you wouldn't notice if the Calif Duster was doing anything or not.
ouch

To bad I detailed it to perfection the week after and have been using since.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Suzuka Master

ouch

To bad I detailed it to perfection the week after and have been using since.
Your the pro ... tell us what you used to detail it to "perfection "' you have after pix?

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/ultimate-car-detailing-package-over-%24450-worth-831555/
Old 04-06-2012, 03:10 AM

Why are you getting so salty? LOL

What are you trying to search all my threads and stuff? Do you really have nothing else to do?

I'm expressing my opinion and you're trying to bash me for no reason. Seriously, shut the fuck up. If you're going to disagree with me, actually try to tell me what I'm doing wrong or help me-- bringing up old threads and trying to like attack me for no reason. Grow up, thanks. If you're kidding, I apologize, but holy fuck.

Sorry mods, it just annoyed me maybe cause its late. :x
Old 04-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Wiping your car down while its dry with anything, to removed any sort of dust or light dirt etc whatever you want to call it is ludicrous there could be sand particles and all on the car..... take your snide attitude back to performance with the rest of the people who make this site hard to deal with.

Your the pro ... tell us what you used to detail it to "perfection "' you have after pix?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831555
Hey man dont waste your time with this scumbag... he and a few others in the "performance" section just post on threads and irritate people almost to the point where I swore this whole site off... Ive really enjoyed the family atmosphere and quality info in wash and wax since Im really into detailing as well...... dont let this troll ruin a good thing for us. just ignore him like a fat chick at a bar.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by OntheJob

Hey man dont waste your time with this scumbag... he and a few others in the "performance" section just post on threads and irritate people almost to the point where I swore this whole site off... Ive really enjoyed the family atmosphere and quality info in wash and wax since Im really into detailing as well...... dont let this troll ruin a good thing for us. just ignore him like a fat chick at a bar.
Ya your right .. I'm just not a fan of people posting bad information about detailing in here ... Especially someone with little or no hands on knowledge ...

Just wanted people aware of his credibility. It was hardly a few months back he was in here asking what to buy to detail his car and when given the "correct" information went and bought something totally different even after advised not to ..

Shortly after put the stuff he bought up for sale because he didn't have time to detail his car.

Same person posted incorrect information about Armorall based on unsubstantiated claims of years ago ..

But yet claims to be an expert based on what he read in the forums ( I just hope he wasn't reading his own posts ) So in essence he could have been reading other peoples bad posts and passing it on as gospel....

Nuff said ..
Old 04-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Ya your right .. I'm just not a fan of people posting bad information about detailing in here ... Especially someone with little or no hands on knowledge ...

Just wanted people aware of his credibility. It was hardly a few months back he was in here asking what to buy to detail his car and when given the "correct" information went and bought something totally different even after advised not to ..

Shortly after put the stuff he bought up for sale because he didn't have time to detail his car.

Same person posted incorrect information about Armorall based on unsubstantiated claims of years ago ..

But yet claims to be an expert based on what he read in the forums ( I just hope he wasn't reading his own posts ) So in essence he could have been reading other peoples bad posts and passing it on as gospel....

Nuff said ..
I feel you, you would get sick if you read the stuff in the performance section... all speculation and no fact. Anyhow cheers to detailing.. pm me I have some questions I still want to make sure I am understanding correctly as I am about to do my car in the next week or so

Originally Posted by mY sLOW UA6

As Jesstzn stated above you should have reflectivity like this.
if you ever want to give it a whirl try chemical guys "wet mirror finish" its a gloss enhancing glaze... mirror finish is an understatement I have never seen anything like it... truly INCREDIBLE.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 04-07-2012 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

^^Thanks for the tip, this pic was taken on a slightly overcast day so you dont get 100% of the reflectivity. But I will definately try it .
Old 04-06-2012, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by OntheJob
Wiping your car down while its dry with anything, to removed any sort of dust or light dirt etc whatever you want to call it is ludicrous there could be sand particles and all on the car..... take your snide attitude back to performance with the rest of the people who make this site hard to deal with.

lol... This is a opinion-based forum, until I find it otherwise, my opinions are basically what they are... opinions. I don't mind constructive criticism when it comes to if I'm not doing something right, but bringing up old threads/post over and over is similar to a personal attack. So if I were you, I'd actually know what's going on before making assumptions. And by the way, the only thing I post in the performance section of the 3G to annoy people is the constant repetitiveness of the threads and that is about it (aka CAI threads, J-pipe threads, etc...) where a search button would work wonders.

Nuff said ..
First, it has been over a year and a half since I've posted about wanting to know how to detail my car. Second, I disapproved your Armor All theory, in which YOU BASED ON READING FROM A FORUMS (sound familiar). So don't tell me about that hypocrite. I'm a full time student, had a full time job, and headed to medical school. My cars paint condition was the last of my worries. By then, I decided not to work and dedicate in school. So before you try to act like a smartass, how about you actually know what you're talking about instead of making assumption after assumption.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Tell me why I'm wrong. If you're going to try to act like a jackass and post previous threads like its a personal attack then I'm going to TREAT you like a jackass. Which makes me wonder why you have so much time on your hands to either save my threads or look them up, either way, I don't wanna know.

Most of my information are from people that have detailed there cars for over 10 years+. Whether is right or wrong, that is why this is a forum. The QD on my car was from PERSONAL experience. Did I tell anyone to do it? No. I just said I did it. What in the hell is wrong with that? Go troll somewhere else.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

lol... This is a opinion-based forum, until I find it otherwise, my opinions are basically what they are... opinions. I don't mind constructive criticism when it comes to if I'm not doing something right, but bringing up old threads/post over and over is similar to a personal attack. So if I were you, I'd actually know what's going on before making assumptions. And by the way, the only thing I post in the performance section of the 3G to annoy people is the constant repetitiveness of the threads and that is about it (aka CAI threads, J-pipe threads, etc...) where a search button would work wonders.

First, it has been over a year and a half since I've posted about wanting to know how to detail my car. Second, I disapproved your Armor All theory, in which YOU BASED ON READING FROM A FORUMS (sound familiar). So don't tell me about that hypocrite. I'm a full time student, had a full time job, and headed to medical school. My cars paint condition was the last of my worries. By then, I decided not to work and dedicate in school. So before you try to act like a smartass, how about you actually know what you're talking about instead of making assumption after assumption.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Tell me why I'm wrong. If you're going to try to act like a jackass and post previous threads like its a personal attack then I'm going to TREAT you like a jackass. Which makes me wonder why you have so much time on your hands to either save my threads or look them up, either way, I don't wanna know.

Most of my information are from people that have detailed there cars for over 10 years+. Whether is right or wrong, that is why this is a forum. The QD on my car was from PERSONAL experience. Did I tell anyone to do it? No. I just said I did it. What in the hell is wrong with that? Go troll somewhere else.
punch yourself and get lost ur not welcome here crawl back to performance
Old 04-06-2012, 05:51 PM

^ill punch myself if you shoot yourself. deal.

Good job in being ignorant. TY
Old 04-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
correcting a wrong statement = nothing wrong...

But personal attacks? Are they really necessary?

this thread has strayed so far off topic and filled with useless information. Whats the point of pushing each others buttons?

Yes, this is a public and open forum.. yes, facts are better than assumptions, but aren't we all here to learn or share experiences/ideas? If you know the correct information... teach it! or fix statements... but calling each other idiots isn't going to solve anything. .
Old 04-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
I like entertaining threads.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by jwr0ng626
correcting a wrong statement = nothing wrong...

But personal attacks? Are they really necessary?

this thread has strayed so far off topic and filled with useless information. Whats the point of pushing each others buttons?

Yes, this is a public and open forum.. yes, facts are better than assumptions, but aren't we all here to learn or share experiences/ideas? If you know the correct information... teach it! or fix statements... but calling each other idiots isn't going to solve anything. .
Exactly. I didn't want to go off or say anything offensive, but it seems like Jesstzn is out for me or something. Always noticing old threads and such and saying I basically don't know what I'm talking about. OnTheJob, which clearly isn't about, decided to butt in yet doesn't know wtf he's talking about. I'm wrong at some points, but what I said before the argument was solely my opinion. If you don't like it? Help me or move on.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Really you guys??

Gentleman,

There is no need for this kind of exchange, especially in Wash & Wax.

Please....let's tone things down and discontinue the personal attacks. Get back to the subject at hand.
The following users liked this post:
TheChamp531 (04-07-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 05:52 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
"Removing Dust from a Paint Surface" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1450963

"Pollen (Microgametophytes) Grains" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...etophytes.html

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, which very often is based upon their experience and what works for them, so it’s often at variance to other opinions that are expressed.

I have always thought that the more facts and information you have at hand the easier it is to judge what information you are being given. After all, how can you fully understand and properly use any product unless you have all the facts? In the final analysis; it’s your vehicle, your hard earned money and your choice.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 04-08-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Suzuka Master

lol... Second, I disapproved your Armor All theory, in which YOU BASED ON READING FROM A FORUMS (sound familiar).

I wasn't going to jump back in here but you keep bringing this up and for the ones that aren't familiar I'll quote his post

Armor all interior stuff dries the dash and door panels btw. Bad stuff
Unquote.

And he followed it up with this post

I don't trust a company that used Silicone (dry) to clean vinyl/leather. They have changed it, but that didn't happen till they got sued. Now they used a water-based Silicone. They just recently changed it.

They caused hundreds of cracked dashes and cracked leather seats.

Unquote.

I didn't disagree that they were sued ... what I said was the result of the suit was never made public nor were the claims substantiated. <--- not that I could find nor did I ever hear about and I grew up in that era. Matter of fact I know of numerous padded dashes that cracked back then and none were ever treated with anything .. they cracked because padded dashes were new techknowlegy and no UV protection was added the the covering.

All that ever came out of it was a bunch of unsubstantiated wives tales that are still being spread today.

If he wouldn't have posted what is above in red I would never have said a word but its posts like this that get repeated as gospel.

I appologize for running this thread off track ..
Old 04-08-2012, 08:39 PM

I wasn't going to jump back in here but you keep bringing this up and for the ones that aren't familiar I'll quote his post

Armor all interior stuff dries the dash and door panels btw. Bad stuff
Unquote.

And he followed it up with this post

I don't trust a company that used Silicone (dry) to clean vinyl/leather. They have changed it, but that didn't happen till they got sued. Now they used a water-based Silicone. They just recently changed it.

They caused hundreds of cracked dashes and cracked leather seats.

Unquote.

I didn't disagree that they were sued ... what I said was the result of the suit was never made public nor were the claims substantiated. <--- not that I could find nor did I ever hear about and I grew up in that era. Matter of fact I know of numerous padded dashes that cracked back then and none were ever treated with anything .. they cracked because padded dashes were new techknowlegy and no UV protection was added the the covering.

All that ever came out of it was a bunch of unsubstantiated wives tales that are still being spread today.

If he wouldn't have posted what is above in red I would never have said a word but its posts like this that get repeated as gospel.

I appologize for running this thread off track ..
It is true regarding the formula and the crack dashes. It is about integrity. I don't trust a company that decides to change formulas once they get put into a legal matter.

I don't care about that thread, but your original intentions were either personal or idiotic. All I said was that I used QD and California Duster with no problems for a year or so without any ill-effects. Your response is to attack me from old threads, and my "lack of experience". Instead of acting immature, you could've put your and told me why it is bad. That is it, but you didn't. The post was from personal experience and opinion. Last post on this, but I don't know what is your problem with me whether, at times, I do bring bad information, but I'm still learning and that is why this is a forum.

Apologize to OP for bringing this topic... off-topic. Love ya
Old 04-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 784 Likes on 558 Posts
Here, I'll take the heat off of you champ...

I use swiffer dusters on my car when it's dusty and my shyt shynes like the day it wuz in the showrum...
Old 04-08-2012, 10:02 PM

^me likey! I tried using a mop and it didn't work.

Quick Reply: Post Wash & Wax