Porter Cable Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Porter Cable Questions

Whats the cheapest price your finding for the Porter Cable 7336 for? Lowes is at $109. Also are there local places/stores where you can pick-up the pads and flex plates for the porter? The only ones I see mentioned is the Sonus brand, what are others?
Old 09-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lembowski
Whats the cheapest price your finding for the Porter Cable 7336 for? Lowes is at $109. Also are there local places/stores where you can pick-up the pads and flex plates for the porter? The only ones I see mentioned is the Sonus brand, what are others?
Prices will range from $119 and up for 7336/7424 and Lowes was the cheapest I found for $109. There are pads made by different companies; Lake Country (LC), Edge, Propel l, Megs, and 3M. Your best bet would be to check online detail sites like Autogeek, Proper Auto Care, Exceldetail, Detail City, Top of the Line, Autopia, and PakShak to name a few. Hope this helps ya out a little.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Trucki!!

Thanks Hawhyen51 I was just trying to see if I could get it cheaper than the package deals those sites have. I think all I really need the (back plate, light cutting pad, polishing pad, and a microfiber bonnet) I was trying to see if getting those seperate could be cheaper.

$109 from Lowes
$40 for accessories from local store
But by the time taxes are included its all the same.................

Also there isn't a real difference between the 7336/7424 is there? They both have the same counter weight so either will be the same right.

Here is the local stores website: http://www.detailsupplyoutlet.com/item.htm?item_num=298

The package I was looking at is the Porter Cable #7424 Polisher & Pad Kit for $165.95 + Tax. Is that a good deal, good thing is I don't have to pay shipping like other online retailers. But I don't see a name brand of pads other than DA.......don't know what that is. Watcha think?
Old 09-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Safety Car

As far as I can tell, good starter package and good price. Folks starting off usually start with a light cut/polishing pad and end with a finishing pad. Looks like the kit includes a medium cut pad (Yellow), not sure though. I would opt for a light cut (green) if possible. I prefer using a light cut pad first and then work my way up especially on newer vehicles. There is no difference between the 7424/7336; one was called a sander and the other a polisher.

As far as the pads go, they are made and sold by SM Arnold and carried by several online stores like Summit Racing and Goodspeed Motors. You can find the pad descriptions here Oh yea, DA=Dual Action. Go for it and when you do your first machine detail, let us know how it went.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Trucki!!

Thank you.......I be doing it either this weekend or next! I'll post some pics.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check and see if the 15% off autopia coupon works on their PC packages...might be worth it.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Trucki!!

Has anyone seen the Griot's Random Orbital Polisher in action? It seems well built, but more expensive than the Porter Cable.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
Has anyone seen the Griot's Random Orbital Polisher in action? It seems well built, but more expensive than the Porter Cable.
Everything from Griot's is more expensive (relatively). It's only $30 more than the Porter Cable kit you listed a few posts above and it comes with wax, polish etc...
I cannot comment quality wise on the Griot's one, I did just recently purchase a Griot's product (Microfiber Wash Pads) and will be using it tomorrow, can let you know then what I think about their quality.

Also-
Where in Lowes or Home Depot is the Porter Cable polisher located?!?!

Last edited by cmschmie; 09-05-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by cmschmie
Everything from Griot's is more expensive (relatively). It's only $30 more than the Porter Cable kit you listed a few posts above and it comes with wax, polish etc...
I cannot comment quality wise on the Griot's one, I did just recently purchase a Griot's product (Microfiber Wash Pads) and will be using it tomorrow, can let you know then what I think about their quality.

Also-
Where in Lowes or Home Depot is the Porter Cable polisher located?!?!
It was by the saws/power hand tools/cordless drills. Yeah Griots is pretty expensive. Atleast is isn't $249 like Meguiars g-100. I mean it is made by porter cable, supposed to be the same and its twice as much. I'm sure all they did is change the logo on the side.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Safety Car

It was by the saws/power hand tools/cordless drills. Yeah Griots is pretty expensive. Atleast is isn't $249 like Meguiars g-100. I mean it is made by porter cable, supposed to be the same and its twice as much. I'm sure all they did is change the logo on the side.
I was just at the Griot's site the other day and their random orbital (looks like a modded PC) is $129. That's pretty much the going price at most online detail sites. This is the Meg's for $225. What ya'll think?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Trucki!!

I do like the handle on the top of the Griots model. Does porter Cable have a handle like that out for the 7336/7424? Well the Megs unit is made by Porter Cable, then labled Meguiars, then taxed $100. A guy at work just bought it and it was delivered yesterday. I saw a big Meguiars box at the front desk and asked him if he was getting all new products, he went on to tell me he splurged on the polisher. I was thinking in my head you sure did splurge........but he can afford it.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Safety Car

Yea, pretty sure the Griots is also a PC. Here's more info on it.......
The Griot's Garage Random Orbital spins at higher orbits per minute, has a smaller polishing pattern, a rheostat speed dial for polishing and waxing speeds between 4,000 and 7,000 orbits per minute, an internal fan to cool off the backing plate (thus, no heat build-up in our pad, or on your paint), a higher torque motor to eliminate stalling, an ergonomic top handle, and an easy-to-reach side on/off switch, plus your hands will enjoy much less vibration from the orbital!
The 7424/7336 no load orbit rate is 2500-6000 OPM, Now I'm curious to find out what was tweaked (if anything). As far as the top handle, I don't think one is available for the PC.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Living the Dream

Looks like there is a lot of interest in the Griot's Orbital Polisher.
I may have to look into it a little more when I decide to get one.

Their $199 kit seems to be pretty good.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Trucki!!

Looks like there is a lot of interest in the Griot's Orbital Polisher.
I may have to look into it a little more when I decide to get one.

Their $199 kit seems to be pretty good.
Yeah, you kinda get skimpped on the # of pads, and no bonnets either
Old 09-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Living the Dream

Yeah, you kinda get skimpped on the # of pads, and no bonnets either
Would it be better to buy the Porter from Lowes/Home Depot, then getting the pad set from a detail shop or on-line retailer?
OR
To get the Autopia kit which includes the pads?

I guess another way to look at my previous post is that there is a lot of interest in the Griot's orbital, but not a lot of knowledge which could be a bad thing.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Safety Car

Would it be better to buy the Porter from Lowes/Home Depot, then getting the pad set from a detail shop or on-line retailer?
OR
To get the Autopia kit which includes the pads?
As far as getting a kit - convenience and one stop shopping. I got my PC from Lowe's and ordered pads separately which did save me some $$. I listed some online detail sites; pull up what they have to offer, make comparisons and go from there.
I guess another way to look at my previous post is that there is a lot of interest in the Griot's orbital, but not a lot of knowledge which could be a bad thing.
I don't think it generated that much interest, just a discussion about the item. I think a lot of the members own either a 7424/7336 instead a repackaged one with a different name on it. Having a different name on it does not mean the machine is better. The internals are pretty much the same and it all comes down to experience.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
I don't think it generated that much interest, just a discussion about the item. I think a lot of the members own either a 7424/7336 instead a repackaged one with a different name on it. Having a different name on it does not mean the machine is better. The internals are pretty much the same and it all comes down to experience.
Well it doesn't look like a repackaged Porter Cable. Here is what Griots told me:

Hello Matthew,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your email message and your interest in Griot’s Garage. I understand that you are inquiring about the differences between the Porter Cable Random Orbital and our new Griot's Garage Orbital. Porter Cable was recently bought out by another tool manufacturer. We were worried that the quality of the product might change so we found a company that would make a polisher to our specifications. The new machine has a larger motor, which will not bog down with added pressure. The new machine has upgraded bearings, better heat ventilation system, smoother speed adjustment and more torque. Our new machine is backed by our Lifetime Guarantee against defect. If the machine ever stops working, simply send it back for a new machine.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you have any additional questions please feel free to reply to this email, or call our Customer Service Department at (800) 345-5789 from 6 am - 6 pm Monday thru Friday and 7 am - 3:30 pm Saturday PST. Thanks again for your email, and have a great day!

Have fun in your garage!

Customer Service Representative
Griot's Garage
800-345-5789
www.griotsgarage.com

So I wonder how the quality is, being that it is a different company. I wonder what company it is?
Old 09-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Safety Car

I guess I'll eat crow on that one..... so you gettin the Griot's?
Old 09-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Trucki!!

Not sure yet.............its an investment. I know that it has a lifetime warranty atleast, and I really like the idea of the top handle after seeing my co-workers Meguiars PC yesterday. I might take the plundge. I hope they can get it to San Diego from Tacoma by Friday........

I was all prepared to go get the PC tonight from Lowes.

Problem is I like Tim Allen in Tool Time "More Power"!!
Old 09-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Living the Dream

I hope they can get it to San Diego from Tacoma by Friday........
Not sure if you'll get it Friday if you order it today. Saturday definitely though.

Their distribution facility is in Indiana, at least it was for my order (it may be an east of the Mississippi thing, I live in Charlotte). Placed my order on a Wednesday evening and it was delivered via UPS on Friday.

If you do get it, please fill us in with your experience.

Also, from the little contact I had with them, their customer service is excellent. Did you send that e-mail today and receive the reply right away?

Last edited by cmschmie; 09-06-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Trucki!!

Not sure if you'll get it Friday if you order it today. Saturday definitely though.

Their distribution facility is in Indiana, at least it was for my order (it may be an east of the Mississippi thing, I live in Charlotte). Placed my order on a Wednesday evening and it was delivered via UPS on Friday.

If you do get it, please fill us in with your experience.
Yeah I saw the Plainfield thing. Too bad I don't live in Indy anymore, or I could go check it out first. The one in Tacoma is the offices and Store, so I don't know if they ship from there. I'm gonna call at lunch and see if they can get it to me. If not then I'll save the $ and just get the PC.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Trucki!!

Shipping is killer from Griots its $15 to ship a 6 lb box standard, they told me 6 days, and the best shipping they had was 3 day which I couldn't get it in time. I still think I might get it and just hold off on cleaning for another week or two. I dunno, I'll just deceide tonight.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Trucki!!

Well after contacting Griot's Garage, I couldn't find a reason to pay more to $30 more on a unknown product that has no reviews anywhere. You can only here ours is better so much before you ask yourself who says its better the guy trying to sell it to you.......no one else though. So I went and bought the Porter Cable last night from Lowes, it was actually on sale for $99 and I get a year extended warranty for $8. Total price $117
Old 09-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Safety Car

Good deal! All you need now are the pads. Are you gettin them from that one place you mentioned? $35.95 or you can also check Exceldetail.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is there anything wrong with picking up an orbital polisher at Wal-Mart for $30? I'm only planning on using it 2 times a year max.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Good deal! All you need now are the pads. Are you gettin them from that one place you mentioned? $35.95 or you can also check Exceldetail.
Yeah this place is local for the same price http://www.detailsupplyoutlet.com/

I picked them up yesterday too
Old 09-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Trucki!!

Does anyone know what the white pad that comes with the porter cable is? When its measured like the others in "ppi"
Old 09-18-2006, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Well after contacting Griot's Garage, I couldn't find a reason to pay more to $30 more on a unknown product that has no reviews anywhere. You can only here ours is better so much before you ask yourself who says its better the guy trying to sell it to you.......no one else though. So I went and bought the Porter Cable last night from Lowes, it was actually on sale for $99 and I get a year extended warranty for $8. Total price $117
did it come with a backing plate??? im looking at the 7" plate for the bigger pads...
Old 09-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldnt go any larger then a 7" pad/6" plate.........The PC has its limits. It works magic, but not miracles.......
Old 09-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Yeah this place is local for the same price http://www.detailsupplyoutlet.com/

I picked them up yesterday too
EEEEEKS! Your missing a polishing pad, or two.........Theres another step between cutting and finihing...........
Old 09-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by exceldetail
EEEEEKS! Your missing a polishing pad, or two.........Theres another step between cutting and finihing...........
I got the:

* Green Foam
60ppi Polishing pad

* Black Foam
80ppi Finishing pad

* White Foam
100ppi Waxing pad

What other color pad do I need? I opted not to get the cutting pad, because I haven't ran into any vehicles yet that have had that bad of paint swirls or abrasions. The green pad has worked wonders on the minor stuff
Old 09-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Ah! Your fine then..........Hey im going to be at the Hotel Del Coronado this weekend! Your neck of the woods!
Old 09-19-2006, 02:00 PM
Trucki!!

Ah! Your fine then..........Hey im going to be at the Hotel Del Coronado this weekend! Your neck of the woods!
Should have yelled at me earlier, I Bartend next door at the Marriott Coronado Hotel & Marina I could have gotten you a great room rate
Old 09-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Im attending a wedding, but actually staying at Hotel Circle.......Crap!!
Old 09-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Trucki!!

Ugh........thats a long haul from Mission Valley to Coranado. Whats nights are you needing rooms? I will check to see at what compacity we are at, I might be ablt to get you a friends rate. Like $109 a night
Old 09-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Former Sponsor

I heard it was like 20 minutes?!?! I have a sister who is also staying at Hotel Circle, so I think we will stay with our plan, but I sincerely appreciate the effort to accomodate!.....
Old 09-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Trucki!!

I heard it was like 20 minutes?!?! I have a sister who is also staying at Hotel Circle, so I think we will stay with our plan, but I sincerely appreciate the effort to accomodate!.....
Yeah its around 20-30 depending on traffic. Usually there is slower traffic over the bridge to Coranado. Have fun at the wedding, that is a beautiful place. I hope whenever I get married I can "afford" to get married there.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Instructor

I just picked up a porter cable 7424 for $95.00 + 8 dollars for shipping off ebay.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mrpeeng
I just picked up a porter cable 7424 for $95.00 + 8 dollars for shipping off ebay.
Was it a new item or used? All you need now is some pads and possibly a backing plate to get started.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Instructor

The item is new.

Quick Reply: Porter Cable Questions