Porter Cable 7424

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 12:56 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Porter Cable 7424

Just ordered the PC7424 polisher from coastaltool.com last night.

Has anyone ordered it recently from them? How long does it take to arrive and is it ready out of the box to polish? Or do i need to buy some extra pads?

Here's a link to it.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...de6+1087271769
Old 06-14-2004, 03:45 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just got mine a couple days ago. I if you ordered the kit without any aditional pads you will absolutely need to get some. .I had ordered the untimate kit from Autopia that comes with three pads, cutting, polishing and buffing.. I went to a car show this weekend to pick up an aditional 2 polishing and 1 buffing pad so I woud have plenty.. but the Porter comes with a white buffing pad that is stuck to the backing plate..most pads have a velcro circle on it to hold it to the backing plate. the one that comes with the porter is a spare to keep around, but not the one you should use for all different polishes and waxes.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on your PC !!! You'll love it !!! I think they're in CT. Like 20 minutes after I ordered online, some guy called me to confirm my order (same special last year). I also got the 6" backing plate and 6" weight. I ordered on like a Tuesday and got it 2 or 3 days later. I'm in NY, so you should get yours during the week.

Like ResidualFreedom said, it comes with 1 white buffing pad stuck on a plate (which I never used). I got my pads from www.topoftheline.com. Picked up a few polishing and finishing pads (7.5"). Their prices use to be better. To switch to the 6" weight, I think you need a 15 Torx screwdriver (maybe it was a 5, I forget, sry). Then you can put on the velcro backing plate and use other pads. Lake Country and Meguiars makes good pads.
HTH
Old 06-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Drifting

I just got an email with the tracking #, its gonna be delivered tomorrow .

I'm gonna have to buy some pads for the velco thing that comes with it. Can I buy a few pads locally instead of waiting for them to be delivered?

thanks..
Old 06-14-2004, 07:00 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
let me know how you like it
Old 06-14-2004, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by vtec11
I just got an email with the tracking #, its gonna be delivered tomorrow .

I'm gonna have to buy some pads for the velco thing that comes with it. Can I buy a few pads locally instead of waiting for them to be delivered?

thanks..

not sure where? that's why I went to the car show last weekend, I was fortunate enough to find a vendor that I knew was selling the Lake County Pads. I knew he was selling them at the show from prior talks and e-mails. I would kind of been stuck ordering some pads if I was unable to find any up here..
Old 06-15-2004, 11:22 AM
NYC... How Sweet It Is!!

Suprisingly the pad that comes with the buffer isn't bad. I used it with the 3M swirl remover and it worked great. You guys don't have a Lowe's by you. $108 bucks.

They make a pad that is orange. That is suppose to be the best. I saw it on a couple of site and was going to order it. The orange pad is supposibly used by Mercedes, GM and other companies.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:08 PM

a colour is a colour. or for my american friends, a color is a color. With that info any one could go and make a orange pad and sell it for a ton of money..

The real issue is the brand name of the pad.. I have Lake County pads.. They are very high quality and I will be using them on cars well over the price of the avg. mercedes.. Meguiars also supplies a line of pads as well.. the Lake County pads come in three different colours which corespond with the use for each pad, the grey (or dark grey/black) is for buffing and is the softest, the white is for polishing medium density, and the orange one you are talking about is the cutting pad and it is obviously the roughest. And could leave nice swirl marks if you tried to apply wax or polish with it. You start with the lighest pad, and work to the harder ones IF the light pad is not doing the job.. I typically will use the polishing pad and not the cutting pad unless it is covered with swirls and I know I will be spending time working on that car.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:20 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
.. I typically will use the polishing pad and not the cutting pad unless it is covered with swirls and I know I will be spending time working on that car.
hey resi....

I'm not sure if you saw my message to you in your previous (NXT?) post here... but I suggested that I be one of your first (err..not THE first! hehehe) customers for exterior detailing.. or we could work together and I would definitely help you out on my car.. I'm possibly interested in ordering my own PC sometime within the near future and would like to see it in action and its results... I'm a GTA'er as well!
Old 06-15-2004, 08:38 PM

what are you doing tomorrow?
I have a few hundread bucks in products sitting in Maumee, OH, right now. I'm tracking it from AR. it should be here soon..

Hey guys from america, if you don't mind telling me what's with this flag day?

my products have been sitting still since saturday in Ohio.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lucid4000
You guys don't have a Lowe's by you. $108 bucks.

They make a pad that is orange. That is suppose to be the best. I saw it on a couple of site and was going to order it. The orange pad is supposibly used by Mercedes, GM and other companies.
Lucid,

Does lowes sell other types of pads? Like white polishing and/or the grey pads? There's a lowes around here but its a little farther than a few home depots.

Just got the PC today, does it just vibrate or does it spin round and round too? I thought it didn't spin in a circular fasion, but i just looked at it briefly today and it looks like the pads spins too???
Old 06-16-2004, 12:28 PM
NYC... How Sweet It Is!!

vtec11,

I believe that Lowes sells the replace pad for the Polisher. But nothing that is Grey. I know that home depot sells the replacement pads also which is wierd because I didn't see the polished there. Also the Polisher is orbital which means it spins but spins in a 8 formation to help eliminate swirl marks and its safer than a polisher that spins in a circular motion.

Also an FYI, on the polisher don't go above 5 in speed. Start off at like 3 and work your way up until you get comfotable. Any higher than 5 you can damage the paint.