Polish/pad setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polish/pad setup

Spring is here and looking to do a 2 stage polish on my 04 TL NBP. It has a few imperfections and swirls from washing over the past year.

My plan is to attack my TL with a PC 7424XP.

Start with - Menzerna PO203S Power Finish with LC Orange Pad
Followed by - Meg 205 with LC White pad
Then finally Optimum Opti-Seal for sealant

Is the P023S with Meg 205 OK or redundant?

I currently own LC orange/green/white pad.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 151 Likes on 145 Posts
It depends on the imperfections.
If all you have is swirls you can get away with Megs 205 on a white pad.
Just remember Acura has soft paint, so don't be too agressive.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
If you want to stick to a 2 step process,
I would do PO203s with orange, and PO85RD with black to finish down.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:08 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Test Panel Area

One of the often asked questions; "what polish / pad combination should I use to remove scratches?"

There are far too many variables to state these accurately.
Diagnosis is the key; not guesswork as differing density (hardness) of paints react differently to correction, so before beginning to polish measure the paint thickness (PTG) panel by panel to ensure that you do not select an aggressive polish that will remove too much clear coat

The key to the polishing process is to know how the paint will react with each pad / polish combination you consider using. You must know your product and what its capabilities are before using it. This is why a ‘test’ spot is so important. The factors that affect the outcome -speed, friction (kinetic energy) applied pressure, foam pad actual surface contact area, pad grit number (abrasive ability) amount of surface lubrication available, the surface area and heat conductivity of material

Select a ‘typical’ panel; one that represents the type of defects that you want to remove and the finish level required. Select an area of 18 x 18-inches and tape it off with painter’s tape, as this is an optimal working section to perform a product test spot; this will help establish a polish – pad combination that will produce the best possible finish that corresponds to your detailing goals for the vehicle. Pay attention to how the paint is responding to your inputs. Stop and evaluate your progress, once this is established; repeat the process over the entire paint surface, adjusting abrasiveness for any low paint thickness.

There may be some areas that have deeper scratches, which will necessitate a more abrasive polish. This is known a ‘spot-correction’. Once this area(s) are completed revert to the original polish / pad combination, there is no need to remove any more clear coat than is necessary
Old 04-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i would skip the orange pad, and the meguiars 205....just use the menzerna with the white pad and speed 4-5....
Old 04-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading your guys comments I'm thinking of using the menz with green pad (orange pad for the really nasty spots). I was hoping meg 205 with a white pad would have more polish than the menz so I could end with it...
Old 04-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ezol
After reading your guys comments I'm thinking of using the menz with green pad (orange pad for the really nasty spots). I was hoping meg 205 with a white pad would have more polish than the menz so I could end with it...
your putting way too much thought into it...start with the least agressive pad/polish combo and work from there....
Old 04-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by TOGWT
One of the often asked questions; "what polish / pad combination should I use to remove scratches?"

There are far too many variables to state these accurately.
Diagnosis is the key; not guesswork as differing density (hardness) of paints react differently to correction.
The key to the polishing process is to know how the paint will react with each pad / polish combination you consider using. You must know your product and what its capabilities are before using it. This is why a ‘test’ spot is so important. The factors that affect the outcome -speed, friction (kinetic energy) applied pressure, foam pad actual surface contact area, pad grit number (abrasive ability) amount of surface lubrication available, the surface area and heat conductivity of material

Select a ‘typical’ panel; one that represents the type of defects that you want to remove and the finish level required. Select an area of 18 x 18-inches and tape it off with painter’s tape, as this is an optimal working section to perform a product test spot; this will help establish a polish – pad combination that will produce the best possible finish that corresponds to your detailing goals for the vehicle. Pay attention to how the paint is responding to your inputs. Stop and evaluate your progress, once this is established; repeat the process over the entire paint surface, adjusting abrasiveness for any low paint thickness.

There may be some areas that have deeper scratches, which will necessitate a more abrasive polish. This is known a ‘spot-correction’. Once this area(s) are completed revert to the original polish / pad combination, there is no need to remove any more clear coat than is necessary
Exactly ...