Placing an exceldetail order, what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:40 PM
There's no Acura in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure I will...especially since I'd probably get to know my car a little better (where all the defects & stuff are at). I always wonder how some owners realize they have a tiny scratch on their car when on my car I can't even keep track of 'em.

As far as using it as a lubricant, I only got the idea from the youtube video below from user 'Scottwax'. I figure I've already got NRWS so I wouldn't have to go out & buy more stuff. And I'm just gonna grab this claybar I saw at AutoZone. As an amateur & my first time doing it, no need to go 'all out' yet as long as I don't add damage to the physical condition.

I got a camera too. Will definitely take some shots. Won't be as good as the shots already on the site as my car isn't in all that good condition even with a washed exterior.

An NRWS wash should be a lot more gratifying than an auto-wash as well!

Using NRWS as a clay lubricant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF1lSdpZYnk
Old 01-27-2009, 08:16 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh yeah...you can def. use it.

I think it says even on the bottle.

So you're all good.

Trust me as some one who's only alternative (former) was the auto car wash...this is heavenly.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I'll get my excel stuff thursday or friday so hopefully on saturday I
Looks like Friday!
I'm still debating if I am going to buy the Surf City Liquid Clay Bar.
Stay with traditional. If you had a UDM or PC, i would say go for it......
Old 01-28-2009, 02:09 PM
There's no Acura in

lol, I'm ashamed of myself. Something came in the mail today:

I mentioned to my brother early last week that I was trying to get one and asked if he would loan me the money because there was a good deal on one ($108 before shipping). Even though he kept telling me no, he ordered it behind my back! I still have to pay him back so it's not like it's free and doesn't mean I can go & grab all the stuff I need for it now....but I got one!
Old 01-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Yeah baby!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 09:07 PM

Sounds like a nice brotha.

Congrats on the pick up.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Detail Cars in Philly in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by newperson
lol, I'm ashamed of myself. Something came in the mail today:

I mentioned to my brother early last week that I was trying to get one and asked if he would loan me the money because there was a good deal on one ($108 before shipping). Even though he kept telling me no, he ordered it behind my back! I still have to pay him back so it's not like it's free and doesn't mean I can go & grab all the stuff I need for it now....but I got one!
nice pick up, where'd you find it?
Old 01-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dmassott
nice pick up, where'd you find it?
His brother? Drew this is Wash and Wax, not Birds and Bee's.........
LOL
Old 01-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Detail Cars in Philly in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hahah thanks pat!
Old 01-29-2009, 07:49 PM
There's no Acura in

Received my order, thanks Patrick (ps: you trying to give me a hint with those peppermints?!!??)

I will be doing my "detail" on Saturday...should be enough time for the NRWS to thaw out...unfortunately it was about 70% solid, 30% liquid, it should be fine once thawed I'm guessing.

This probably sounds lame, but, lol, I really like that sprayer thing...didn't know it was actually something that was compressing out the air so that you can get a constant, limitless spray! Wasn't obvious from the web site that that's what it does, but I'm a noob, that's probably why I didn't know. I've tested the heck out of it with plain water; almost feels like I can rinse my whole car off with it.

Let the games commence!
Old 01-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Let the games commence!
Ha!!! Your hooked now!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 08:33 AM
There's no Acura in

First of all forgive me for not having a "wow this is great"-type post but here is my experience. I guess what I want to know is what am I doing wrong.

My first mistake was probably because I started too late...around 4:45pm. There was still some sunshine left but by the time I was done, it was practically midnight. The camera that I borrowed, I ended up forgetting it so the only pics I have are from my crappy camera phone.

Secondly, I had sprayer malfunctions. I put the hose on the spiggot as far as it could go, tightened it with the 'nut', did a test spray and all was well. Then I move over to the car, start spraying, and solution started shooting out from the hose-bottle connection. Then the hose came off due to force, so now it was really spraying. Well, it happened to spray all over me on my shirt and face. After realizing the best way to stop it was to cover the spiggot and then turn the handle to relieve pressure, about 1/4 of the solution was wasted. So then I tried again, figuring that I didn't put the hose on tight enough before. Low and behold, it happens again. So I said forget the pretreat.

Now, when doing the actual wipe-down with the mitt & towel, I had no gripes. Seemed like I was doing everything right. The car was getting clean, the mitt was turning black, and so was the water. When drying, it appeared to be getting the shine back. But when I was all done, up close the car looked like it was dirty because I had streaking everywhere like I was in the 70s. From far away it looked clean though. It's an embarrasing look because it looks fine til you get right up on it & you see it looks like someone just took a dirty rag and wiped it down.

I had planned to wash, clay, and duragloss. After I completed the wash, it was pretty dark, but I decided to move on to the clay anyway. The clay I had was something called 'Mothers' and it included a clay bar, some spray lubricant, and some carnuba wax (which I didn't plan to use). I went to a small section of the hood, sprayed it and tried to wipe it down with the clay. But no matter where I tried, the clay effortlessly glided along the surface. Maybe this is due to temperature as the clay was almost rock-hard? I guess you can't clay in cold weather?

After the clay didn't work, I just gave up and didn't use the Duragloss because my back already hurt as it as and the darkness probably just made things worse.

Even though it was pretty warm yesterday (around mid 40s) I can't see myself doing this outside in under 32 degree weather. I would probably have to go in tiny sections. And I guess you can't clay if it's not summertime.

Was my car too dirty? Was it because I couldn't effectively due a pretreat? Was my technique wrong? Was it just too cold for the product to effectively do a good job? I'm sure a lot of it is due to inexperience, but I'm at the point where I almost don't wanna even try again since an auto-carwash gives me more acceptable results. However, I spent money on this so it's gonna be used no matter what. One thing I don't do is waste money.

Suggestions?

Sorry but all I had was my crappy cameraphone:

Before

[Morning] After

Last edited by newperson; 02-01-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:44 AM
There's no Acura in

It's supposed to snow tomorrow and tuesday, so I hope the snow covers my mistakes.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Well I definitely think the cold played a part in your clay misery. The stuff just isnt pliable when its real cold out.
As for pretreating, too many compressions and maybe just too much water? Always leave room (good inch and a half) for actual compressed air. If all else fails, send it back if your dissatisfied, I will refund your $!
The pretreating is very important. Not so much for actual cleaning differences, but for paint safety.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:01 PM
The Detailer

I think your first mistake was starting really late, especially since this is your first time doing this. As for your sprayer, it sounds like it may be a defective sprayer (so long as you're using it correctly). The streaking you saw was probably due to your cold temperature. Ideally you want to do a panel at a time when you don't have forgiving temperatures. As for your clay, in cold weather you want to heat up your clay with some halogen lighting to make it more pliable and easier to use. Also, with the correct claying technique, the clay should really glide effortlessly once all the contamination is removed.

Take some of this advice with a new mindset the next time around and I think you'll be fine. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2009, 12:41 PM

Wow...that sucks man.

How many times did you pump the sprayer?

I couldn't imagine trying to fold the clay in cold temps...it's hard enough in warm temps.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:46 PM
There's no Acura in

You're too nice Patrick...no need for refunds or returns. I'm an advocate of once you bought it, it's yours!

And please don't think that I'm in a "pissed" mindset. Yeah I didn't get the results I expected but that doesn't mean I'm super mad. I know the problem is 100% probably due to inexperience.

But I think you're right with the sprayer...too much water & too much pressure. When I was playing around with it I never filled it all the way up to the 2qt marker. The instructions say to pump til you feel resistance....how much resistance was always a question I didn't get, but I found that the more you pump, the more force that comes out. So with the sprayer I think I just need to remember not to pump it too much. Been trying some stuff out today on what level of pumping gave me a 'leak' around the hose/bottle connection. So, the sprayer should be good next time around.

With the clay, yeah it's just too cold. It was like gliding a cube of ice over the surface once I spray it with the lubricant. I saw some video (I think it was from Meguiars) where it said that before=scratchy feeling, after=squeaky feeling. That's how I know it wasn't really working because I had a scratch feeling before.

However, is it safe to put on the Duragloss without a good clay-job? That's why I'm scared to apply the DG.

Question: my brown sheepskin mitt turned black due to dirt; is it possible I was just rubbing dirt back on my car causing the streaking? My drying towel didn't get that dirty but it did have dirt spots here and there. I know I need a bigger towel next time around though. That's probably why my trunk & back windshield look like that, cause the towel didn't soak up all the water.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:49 PM
There's no Acura in

Originally Posted by nf3d0149ab
Wow...that sucks man.

How many times did you pump the sprayer?

I couldn't imagine trying to fold the clay in cold temps...it's hard enough in warm temps.
I pumped until it was almost impossible to pump anymore.....

PS: I'm gonna give this another go around 2pm so I have no sunlight issues, with these changes: 1) pump less, 2) another drying towel
Old 02-01-2009, 01:50 PM
There's no Acura in

Yes or no: Should I apply duragloss 105 without claying first? Gonna do my second NRWS try in a few minutes.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:16 PM

Yes or no: Should I apply duragloss 105 without claying first? Gonna do my second NRWS try in a few minutes.
Wish I knew the answer...

I'm a detailing
Old 02-01-2009, 02:28 PM
There's no Acura in

I'm not takin any risks....I'll be out doing the NRWS again...when I'm doin, I'll check back.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Former Sponsor

You can use Dg 105 with or without claying.....
Old 02-01-2009, 02:46 PM

I might pick up a bottle of that Dg 105 to try it out...

Think I have seen it in Pep Boys...not sure though.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Probably not PB's......
Old 02-01-2009, 11:50 PM

Hmmm...I swear I saw it at one of those like Kragen or something.

It's all good...
Old 02-02-2009, 12:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Oooops, DG's.....
Old 02-02-2009, 07:17 AM
There's no Acura in

Talking Trial 2

I tried my hand again yesterday and now I'm extremely satisfied! I did the wash again, clayed, and then applied DG 105 = made me feel like I had just bought some new clothes!

The difference, which I'm sure all of you already know or have learned through experience is drying the car. That was my biggest problem. So all I can say is, when you dry the car, don't just wipe it...actually dry it! My first time, I dried it until I felt it was "good enough". This time, I actually made sure the car was dry...there is a difference!

The second difference is the presence of light, which I'm sure all of you already know too. No light = no good, and is more true if it's your first time doing some procedure you've never done.

So with the combination of adequately drying the car and verifying its dryness under good light, I am more pleased then ever now.

Washing: I did the pre-treat (though it probably wasn't even needed since I washed the car a day before). But this time I only gave the sprayer about 2-3 pumps of compression. Result: no solution in my face or soaking my shirt. I thought about it too; you don't really need extreme force when spraying anyway! I had to compress more often, but it was more than acceptable. You guys must be very liberal if you use a whole gallon sprayer on your cars; I had about 1/4 bottle left (about a pint) when I was done, and I went crazy on spraying the wheels.

Claying: wow that stuff is nice! Feeling the area of the car before claying and after claying, it is 1000 times more smoother. I first did a small section of the hood and after feeling that slickness afterwards, it was hard to not do the rest of the car, even if it kept hardening. What I did though was have a cup of warm water that I let it sit in for a few seconds, kneaded it into a shape so that my hand fully protected it [to give it more body heat], lube & clay the area, drop the clay back in the water, then buff out the area with a dry microfiber cloth. Can't really see the difference [yet], but you can definitely hear and feel the difference...I recommend everyone clay!

Sealing: I then applied the DG105. Poured some on the foam applicator and rubbed it into the surface. Buffed it out with a dry microfiber cloth. Can't really tell the difference in paint appearance but I assume it's doing something & sealing my smooth, clayed paint in. By this time, the sun had almost set so light was getting scarce. I bet if I had taken nice pics between each step the differences might be more aware.

All in all, I guess I'm just displaying my noobishness. This is stuff you guys most-likely learned early on, guess it was my turn. Product isn't everything, you still have to use it right! I can't believe I spent almost three hours out there, but it was hard to stop once I started seeing those results.

This is someone who's never even washed his car by hand, so I'm sure I have a lot to learn.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:12 AM

Nice write up..

Yeah I clayed my car once before and it took forever.

I think it will get easier the next time we clay because we had to lift so much surface contamination.

Anyways...that's my theory.

Glad to hear the second time around was a different experience.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Should be able to clay an entire vehicle in about 20 minutes....=)
Old 02-02-2009, 12:30 PM

You should be able to...

What do you do if you keep lifting contaminants and it isn't smooth yet?

I kept claying until it was smooth.

That was way more then 20 minutes.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Your probably ok now. BUt for heavy contamination deposits, consider a medium grade next time. Probably cut the work down in 1/2. However, with medium grade comes a different level of marring as well. Polishing would be mandatory afterwards.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:36 AM
The Detailer

newperson, just remember that the look you achieve of your paint is mostly in the paint preparation work and not your LSP.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:09 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I need to clay my car i am a noob to deatailing.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:37 AM
There's no Acura in

03TL_typeS, I'm as noobish as they come...heck, it took me two times wash my car right. But claying is real easy. In your west coast environment, you should have no problems I'm guessing. You won't regret it after feeling how smooth the paint is afterward.

I'm probably just imagining this but I got a lot of looks yesterday. And while at school, I had mentioned I did a mini-detail on my car and one of my friends was like "I saw a nice Acura parked on _________, that was you?" Yup!

Swear a clean car makes you feel like a million bucks.

Denzil, can you elaborate? What's considered paint preparation work? Would that be what I did [wash, clay, seal]?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Denzil, can you elaborate? What's considered paint preparation work? Would that be what I did [wash, clay, seal]?
You've missed one important element of your re-beautification project. Paint cleaning.
Paint cleaning can consist of using either a chemical paint cleaner (a non abrasive liquid) or a paint polish (which normally contains a paint cleaner and light diminishing abrasives. This is probably the single most important step in detailing.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:13 PM
There's no Acura in

Oh ok, I see what you're saying. But I guess what I did was more for preventative measures than actual detailing. I'm not even breaking out the UDM for my swirl repair until Winter's over. I'm actually very happy with how my paint looks (minus the swirling, various scratches, blemishes, water spots, and paint chips).
Old 02-03-2009, 06:17 PM
There's no Acura in

Nothing lasts forever. Today I was reminded why 1) I didn't wanna buy a nice car and 2) why a dirty car was not always a bad thing.

I got home from school, parked my car near the apartment, came out 4 hours later and there's audio cassette film all over my car. Wasn't really all over my car but more the front end so that it was wedged in the license plate, right sideview and front wheels. It's possible someone just threw it out and the wind blew it that way but to me it seems like the wind would've had to been blowing in all directions.

So yeah, it's not always that easy to keep your car clean when you have to worry about this stuff. Just ruined my 'high'.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Hey whos the boss here!? Clean it up and show Chicago "you aint afraid!"
Old 02-03-2009, 08:53 PM
The Detailer

Like Patrick said, it's paint correction with your UDM (rotary in my case ).

It really makes a world of difference and there are plenty of people who don't know how bad their cars really look.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:03 PM
There's no Acura in

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Hey whos the boss here!? Clean it up and show Chicago "you aint afraid!"
If only it were that easy. My old car got broken into 3 times (glass broken), hubcaps got stolen one time, and my trunk and right side of my car were keyed before as well. And I didn't even take care of that car as well as the way I'm taking care of the TL. My neighborhood isn't considered a nice one...and that's the awful truth.

On the other hand it feels good to have a nice, clean car. But if people keep messing with what's yours, then what's the point.

Quick Reply: Placing an exceldetail order, what do I need?