PC polisher alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC polisher alternatives?

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on alternatives to a Porter Cable as a polisher.

I'm not sure I want to drop $200 (CDN) on a PC for polishing just one car twice a year. Sure...I'm cheap.

I've seen $50 units at Walmart and was wondering how those compare? Would those do an OK job for a beginner who only does polishing once or maybe twice a year? Are there any other somewhat cheaper alternatives to a PC that's a little more affordable people would recommend or should I just suck it up and get a PC and be done with it?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're anal about how your car looks, that would be one reason to get it. Yes, it's a bit more expensive than other buffers (Wax Master, Wen, Craftsman). The PC is a versatile tool and has distinct advantages such as variable speed - can be used for paint correction, product application or just plain buffing. The PC has the ability to use different polishing pads, produce consistent results and reduces the detailing time. Bottom line, it's a must have tool any enthusiast/detailer. Use the search feature as there are numerous threads regarding the PC and it's benefits.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I've been a long time lurker, and I've pretty much read all the PC posts on here. I agree it's pretty versatile, and there's tons of easily found accessories. I just find it hard to justify the $200 plus pads cost for occasional use. Just looking to see if there's other alternatives people use that might be a little cheaper yet give good results. I can't imagine that PC is the only company making these things...
Old 04-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Safety Car

Well, you know the pros and cons. Basically it comes down to a personal choice. From experience, I still have a cheapo ($40) 2 speed buffer collecting dust in the garage and I will never use it again. Yea, it is a small investment and IMO one that will pay dividends in years to come. There are similar machines available but costlier than the PC. The G100 from Megs, which looks like a PC. I couldn't tell you if there are any differences other than the cost. Griots Random Orbital also has a similar product.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Cruisin'

I'm a CB (cheap b@stard) too, so I know what you mean.

Prior to getting a Porter Cable polisher, I was pretty happy with the Waxmaster and a Craftsman polisher. They were idoit proof, light weight and finding pads was as easy as going to the nearest PepBoys. The results looked fine as well. If all you want to do it wax your car once/twice a year, it's probably all you need.

But the since getting a PC, I've seen the light:
- It's so well built, it'll probably outlast anything else on the market.
- Better selection of pads available for different applications.
- Swapping pads with velcro backing is soooo much easier.
- Have been able to buff out some rub marks that the Waxmaster/Craftsman products would never have handled.

I've found that getting a better product (and unfortunately more expensive ones) the first time beats replacing the inferior ones several times.

If you're still not convinced let me know... I've got a Waxmaster collecting dust I can let go cheap.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:52 PM
2002 TL-S NGP

I bought my 7424 PC from Griots Garage about two years ago. The reason I went with PC was due to the quality and the fact that it's a dual-action polisher. This means it's forgiving for a beginner as it won't burn the clear coat due to improper usage. Also, the backing plate is cross-drilled to allow for proper "venting" as the pad can become quite hot as the lubricant breaks down on the surface. I like that it's a variable speed polisher so it is flexible with a variety of products. I don't think I'll use another polisher and I use it at least once a month.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:41 AM
Advanced

I must confess, I used mine to polish and seal my glass shower doors ans used the carpet brushes to scrub the shower floors. We have hard water that leaves spots.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:59 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Well, you know the pros and cons. Basically it comes down to a personal choice. From experience, I still have a cheapo ($40) 2 speed buffer collecting dust in the garage and I will never use it again. Yea, it is a small investment and IMO one that will pay dividends in years to come. There are similar machines available but costlier than the PC. The G100 from Megs, which looks like a PC. I couldn't tell you if there are any differences other than the cost. Griots Random Orbital also has a similar product.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Intermediate

i've also been pondering on PC alternatives but by reading reviews I have little doubt that there is a better one out there. I have some questions on the PC as to what is the difference between the PC7336 and PC7424? And where is a good place to buy a 6" backing plate and replacement pads? Either online or retail store? Thanks.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Safety Car

Both machines are identical and the only difference is the counterweight (CW). The 7336 has a #6 and the 7424 has a #5 (Refer to this article from Coastal Tool). I got my pads/BP from our official vendor, Exceldetail. You can also see this thread .
Old 04-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by syee99
Yeah, I've been a long time lurker, and I've pretty much read all the PC posts on here. I agree it's pretty versatile, and there's tons of easily found accessories. I just find it hard to justify the $200 plus pads cost for occasional use. Just looking to see if there's other alternatives people use that might be a little cheaper yet give good results. I can't imagine that PC is the only company making these things...
If you are worried about the cost, I found one on E-bay for $80 US it is a 7424 that had the #6 counterweight. The seller bought it as a package and sold the pads/BP separately. You could take a look on there and see if any are in good shape and are in your price range.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Amazon has a new PC for $119 with free shipping.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by syee99
Would those do an OK job for a beginner who only does polishing once or maybe twice a year? Are there any other somewhat cheaper alternatives to a PC that's a little more affordable people would recommend or should I just suck it up and get a PC and be done with it?
I was thinking along the same lines before. I wanted to save $$ and only thought to use the buffer occasionally. After I discovered the PC, I got hooked and my 2 random-orbit polishers (6" Black and Decker/ 8" Simoniz) and their corresponding bonnets are not used any longer. I think I even gave one away.

If you're in BC, make a trip to Seattle and look for a LOWE's down there, you should find a 7336 at around $110 US. To me, it was the best investment I ever did and now my cars look several times better. If you're thinking "waste of money" think of the cost of the RO polisher plus the cost of the differenmt bonnets you would end up buying as opposed to going straight to a PC DA ! Money I could have used to buy more sealant and P21S !!

But some of us learn the hard way.

My
Old 04-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Instructor

Good idea about hitting up Lowes. I'm gonna be out in Denver at the end of the month. I'll check out the Lowes there. I didn't find it on their website though, so I'm not sure how much luck I'll have getting it in store.

I guess I'll be getting the PC!
Old 04-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Safety Car

Lowes closed the item out and does not carry it any more. If you find one, better snatch it up.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Instructor

I finally sucked it up and bought one.
$105.50 shipped at tools-plus.com

I'll just get the pads from eshine.ca . They got a starter kit for $50CDN which has the backing plate and 3 pads of my choice. I'm thinking of just an orange, white and black pad to start with. What do you guys think?

Now I just hope the mailbox guys don't lose this like they lost my TL key from Pete...
Old 04-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Safety Car

Great rice for a 7424 The pads are a good choice for starting off. Welcome to the world of detailing.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Intermediate

^^syee-- how was your experience from buying from that site? and was shipping fast?
Old 04-14-2007, 12:23 AM
Instructor

They seem pretty quick. I ordered it yesterday afternoon, and got a confirmation e-mail this morning that they got my order. This afternoon, I got the tracking number, and should be in Blaine by next Friday. That's super fast in my books!