PC Pad choices.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:38 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC Pad choices.

I keep hearing people telling me to use different colored pads (white, blue, etc). I ordered my DA Polisher from Meguiars and they offer yellow pads with different numbers. What is the difference between these pads and the colored ones that I keep seeing/hearing so much about on these message forums? Where do I get the colored pads? From my understanding I want to use a W9006 foam pad to apply my Z-AINO. But, what color would I want to use with the colored pads? Also, how long will a pad last? By this, I mean, how many times can I re-use a pad?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might wanna check out this thread from another detailing forum. I don't know how updated it is, but it will give you an idea about pad aggressiveness.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:01 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Table II Foam Pad Selection / Use

Polish / Cutting Pad (*Yellow) A harder more dense foam composition (50 PPI ) with an abrasive cutting action, for use with a medium abrasive polish, Machine Polish 1 or 2, Swirl Mark Remover, or Autoglym Paint Renovator Polish (Speed number 4-5)

Polish / Light Cutting Pad (*Orange) A mid range, high density foam composition (60 PPI) with a medium abrasive cutting action, for use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed number 4)

Polish / Waxing Pad (*White) A softer less dense foam composition(70 PPI) with a light abrasive cutting action, for use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed number 4)

Finishing Pad (*Black) An ultra-smooth foam that has no abrasive cutting ability (80 PPI) for use with Klasse High Sealant Gloss, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, Zanio Z-2 or Z-5 or a Glaze (Speed number 3)

Levelling Pads (Wool)
Are made from 100% natural lambs wool (do not use synthetic wool) are usually used to level a paint film surface with an abrasive machine polish (compound) or to apply a polish to large areas
Wool pads used wet or dry produce the most paint surface `compounding haze' (40 PPI)

*The foam pad colour identifications and specifications are by Lake County Manufacturing (LC) other manufactures of foam pads use different colours to identify the abrasiveness or cutting ability of their foam pads, they can be purchased at www.properautocare.com.

To compare abrasive abilities of foam pads check the pores per inch (PPI) if published don't compare the colours used

Last edited by TOGWT; 04-24-2007 at 04:03 AM.