PC newbie - do you tape before polishing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC newbie - do you tape before polishing?

I've heard people say that trim should be taped off since the PC might damage the trim. Has anyone here done a polish without taping? Does it affect the chrome pieces on the car? How about the rubber parts? (i.e. if I run the polisher over them accidentally because I was careless - not doing a full on polish job on it)

One other question I had - do you use the PC to get behind the handle or is this more of a job for ScratchX and a MF cloth?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by syee99
I've heard people say that trim should be taped off since the PC might damage the trim. Has anyone here done a polish without taping? Does it affect the chrome pieces on the car? How about the rubber parts? (i.e. if I run the polisher over them accidentally because I was careless - not doing a full on polish job on it)

One other question I had - do you use the PC to get behind the handle or is this more of a job for ScratchX and a MF cloth?
Taping is probably a good idea if your unsure of your technique and abilities. Its really the polish that puts the hurt to trim and moldings. No one likes residue on those peices and it can really take away from a fine polish job.
As for under the handle? If you can reach it safely (With PC) do so! Try it with the machine off first, and check for fit.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hehe...I'm a newbie, so I guess I'll be taping.
I was acutally thinking that polishing the chrome bits would brighten them up and make them look better, but I guess this isn't the case. (I'm talking about the chrome accents on the TSX handles, the emblems, front grille and the window trim).

The pads look so big that they didn't fit in there. I'll give it a try when I get my PC and pads this weekend.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've found that the 4" pads are a bit easier to get into smaller areas. They also give you more control over where the pad is touching. I find this better as coverage isnt really that important and dosent save you much time with the larger pads.

One technique I've tried recently is just take a MF towel in one hand and just follow the PC with it and pickup any polish residue that happens to get on the rubber. The key is to wipe that stuff off immediately while its still wet. Let it sit, and its stain city...