PC 7336/polishing question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
PC 7336/polishing question

Quick question about my PC. I bought a 7336 from lowe's. Do i need to switch counterweights in there?
If so, where can i find it? I couldn't find any at lowe's. The reason why i'm asking is because today when i was trying to polish. The thing was shaking my down like i owed it lots of money. So i figured it must be a counterweight thing.

Also while i'm polishing, (my gf's NBP accord) there's a pinstripe that runs across the side. Do i just polish as if that wasn't even there? Or is there some sort of precaution?

Last question... today i was trying to get the water spots out of the paint. I figured i would just use the PC, the polishing pad, and some meguiars scratch X and try to get rid of the water spots. No luck... so i tried the vinegar and warm water suggestion that some members here gave me. No luck either...
Should i be using the cutting pad? Or am i just using stuff that's not abrasive enough? I was trying this today with the polishing pad.

thanks
Old 06-19-2005, 12:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
What size backing plate and pads are you using ? Some say it doesnt matter, I tend to disagree. I like to keep the CW matched with the BP. Anything above 7" pads should be used with a 6" CW and BP. Then again, its all user preference, and your comfort.
Pinstripes can be gone over with the PC and a finishing pad, at a low speed, I would recommend using a polishing or cutting pad with any agressive polish either, better safe then sorry. All it takes is one edge, and there goes the pinstripe. Larger vinyl graphics are a different story. Just play it safe.
Waterspots are tricky. If the vinegar didnt get it, then theres probably some etching. Where is the spotting at, vertical or horizontal surfaces? If always had pretty good luck with using paper towels and vinegar. I use the vinegar straight, spray on, then apply peices of paper towels to the effected areas. This way the paper stays saturated, and lets the acids in the vinegar dissolve the mineral deposits. If your beyond that type of fix it, then you may need to opt for a cutting pad, with something more aggressive.
Originally Posted by Alin10123
Quick question about my PC. I bought a 7336 from lowe's. Do i need to switch counterweights in there?
If so, where can i find it? I couldn't find any at lowe's. The reason why i'm asking is because today when i was trying to polish. The thing was shaking my down like i owed it lots of money. So i figured it must be a counterweight thing.

Also while i'm polishing, (my gf's NBP accord) there's a pinstripe that runs across the side. Do i just polish as if that wasn't even there? Or is there some sort of precaution?

Last question... today i was trying to get the water spots out of the paint. I figured i would just use the PC, the polishing pad, and some meguiars scratch X and try to get rid of the water spots. No luck... so i tried the vinegar and warm water suggestion that some members here gave me. No luck either...
Should i be using the cutting pad? Or am i just using stuff that's not abrasive enough? I was trying this today with the polishing pad.

thanks
Old 06-19-2005, 01:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get the 6" counter weight at Proper Auto Care Item # PC-WGT or Coastal Tool PN 699933.

Last edited by Hawhyen51; 06-19-2005 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:45 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by exceldetail
What size backing plate and pads are you using ? Some say it doesnt matter, I tend to disagree. I like to keep the CW matched with the BP. Anything above 7" pads should be used with a 6" CW and BP. Then again, its all user preference, and your comfort.
Pinstripes can be gone over with the PC and a finishing pad, at a low speed, I would recommend using a polishing or cutting pad with any agressive polish either, better safe then sorry. All it takes is one edge, and there goes the pinstripe. Larger vinyl graphics are a different story. Just play it safe.
Waterspots are tricky. If the vinegar didnt get it, then theres probably some etching. Where is the spotting at, vertical or horizontal surfaces? If always had pretty good luck with using paper towels and vinegar. I use the vinegar straight, spray on, then apply peices of paper towels to the effected areas. This way the paper stays saturated, and lets the acids in the vinegar dissolve the mineral deposits. If your beyond that type of fix it, then you may need to opt for a cutting pad, with something more aggressive.
My porter cable is a 7336, not sure what size counterweight is on there since it doesn't really tell me.
I'm using this:
http://www.topoftheline.com/polisher-back-plate.html

6 inch flexible backing plate. Do i need to upgrade/downgrade counter weights?

The water spots are on the horizontal surfaces, hood, roof etc...
The only places i have taken my gf's accord to in the past are the self serve car washed. I've always been really careful to hold the wand as far away from the paint as possible when i rinse. This one place i went to had this one selection called "spot free rinse". So i would use that everytime as my final rinse.
I'm not sure if that was what caused it.

So you say you use straight vinegar? Ok... i'll give that a try. Someone here recommended 50/50 and i wasnt' sure if straight was too strong.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Alin, remove some trash or msg's from your pm box.

The 7336 comes standard with the 6" CW. If your using the 6" BP, make damn sure the backing on your pad, exceeds the width of your BP. In other words, if your backing plate extends beyond the backing material on the pad, your in for pad failure(s). The BP will eventually cut into the foam, and you wont get but maybe 2 jobs out of it, if that.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:39 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
There are two different counter-weights, which are clearly marked to indicate use with either the 5-inch, or 6-inch backing pad. Therefore with a 6-inch backing pad for polishing you should use the 6-inch, 0.140 oz. counterweight (PN 699933).

The vibrations that are generated at higher speeds when using a 5-inch weight and a 6-inch pad are unacceptable for most people, for the 5-inch backing pad (or smaller) for polishing you should use the 5-inch, 0.120 oz (PN 874011) counterweight.

Counterweights are attached with two Torx fasteners; size T15.
JonM
Old 06-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Drifting

Alin, remove some trash or msg's from your pm box.

The 7336 comes standard with the 6" CW. If your using the 6" BP, make damn sure the backing on your pad, exceeds the width of your BP. In other words, if your backing plate extends beyond the backing material on the pad, your in for pad failure(s). The BP will eventually cut into the foam, and you wont get but maybe 2 jobs out of it, if that.
I am using a 6 inch flexible backing plate w/ 6.5 inch foam pads.
Is that the right CW?
Old 06-19-2005, 03:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Alin10123
I am using a 6 inch flexible backing plate w/ 6.5 inch foam pads.
Is that the right CW?
Well, my concern with your setup at the moment is your backing plate and pad! Im worried you have 5.5" of hook and loop, with a 6" BP!
Old 06-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Drifting

Well, my concern with your setup at the moment is your backing plate and pad! Im worried you have 5.5" of hook and loop, with a 6" BP!
This is the backing plate that i'm using.
http://www.topoftheline.com/tolae/po...ack-plate.html

These are the pads that i bought.
http://www.topoftheline.com/tolae/la...sher-pads.html

I think they are the right ones. Although i'm new at this so who knows.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:14 PM
Drifting

Oh yea... how long would you leave the vinegar on there before you wipe it off? Does it need time to desolve? Or does it happen right away?

thanks
Old 06-20-2005, 08:51 PM
Drifting

So do i have the right combination of everthing? counterweights? 6 inch backing plate? 6.5 inch pads? with the counterweight that came with my 7336?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Former Sponsor

As for the vinegar, let it sit for maybe 10 minutes.
I cant tell from the pics if the backing is all the way across the pad.....
You might be better off with a 5" CW. Ive never used any LC pads before........Im sure you have a good setup, T.O.L. wouldnt set you up the wrong way....just make sure, your backing exceeds the width of the baking plate.