PC 7336 - Basic Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 06:01 PM
BRH
BRH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC 7336 - Basic Questions

Based on other threads on this forum, I bought a Porter Cable 7336 today at Lowes ($109). Never having used one of these before, I have a few basic questions after taking it out of the box and checking things out.

1. It came with one white pad that appears to be glued to the backing plate. Is that really the case, or is it really just very good velcro-like material holding the foam pad in place. (I don't want to just rip off the foam pad, if it's glue.) If glued on, how do other pads get used with the PC? Do I need to buy another backing plate? If so, where do I get it, and is there a particular type to get?

2. The main purpose of my purchase is to work out a few light swirls that have already appeared in my 1 month old 06 TSX (Deep Green Pearl), and to apply sealer. Based on a recommendation in another thread, I picked up Mother's Pre-Wax Cleaner (for working out the swirls) and Reflections Polymer. Can anyone recommend what specific pads I should get for use with these products? (At this point, I don't expect to get into full detailing, but I want to keep the car looking as good as a newbie can, so I probably don't need every type of pad under the sun.) If you can also recommend an online source, that would be great. -- I also need to find 303 Protectant, since apparently neither my local Pep Boys or WalMart carry it.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2006, 07:32 PM
BRH
BRH

One more question -- I see lots of websites selling pads and backing plates for the PC 7434. Are these backing plates and pads compatible (ie - will they fit) the PC 7336, as well?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Instructor

the white pad that comes with it is pretty worthless

exceldetail.com is a great place for pads. probably start off with a light cutting or polishing pad. they have pad kits with a backplating that you can look into.

the pads will work for both PC7434 and 7336,
Old 02-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The white pad that came with it, it's useless. I use it to clean the exterior windows of my home and FYI works really well. You can purchase pads from any of the online detailing sites. (Autogeek, PAC, Autopia, Exceldetail, Top of the Line, Danase PakShak and so on). I would look into a combo/sampler package that includes a backing plate, a polishing pad and finishing pad. Not all the sites have combo packs. Exceldetail has some good buys, check here. Aerospace 303 is a great product and you can check their site to locate a dealer.

For light swirls, I would start with a polishing pad and if that doesn't help then move up to the light cut pad. At that point you may have to use a more aggresive polish. Optimum polish is a good one because you can work with it longer. PB SSR are also easy to work with. Always check your work before moving on to the next panel.

Just one more bit of info, I would highly recommend you clay the entire vehicle prior to applying a polish. Claying will remove particles from brake dust, rail dust and industrial fallout imbedded into the paint's surface. Surface prep is an important step and will determine the final result of your work.

Originally Posted by BRH
One more question -- I see lots of websites selling pads and backing plates for the PC 7434. Are these backing plates and pads compatible (ie - will they fit) the PC 7336, as well?

Thanks!
Yes - the difference beween the 7424 and 7336 is the CounterWeight (CW). The 7424 has a 5" and the 7336 has a 6" used with the appropriate backing plate. You can also swap the CW (sold separately). Here's a good reference page regarding pads and backing plates.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:27 AM
BRH
BRH

Thanks for the great replies, guys. Very helpful.

One last question: My car has the Autobahnd clear bra over the front of the hood and fenders. Is there any reason not to apply sealer to those areas with the PC? (Of course, I don't see any reason to use polish on those areas because you can't get to the clearcoat there.)

The dealer told me to treat those areas no differently than the rest of the car, but we weren't talking about using a PC. So, I thought that I'd ask here.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, do you know what company manufactured the clearbra? There are several manufacturers of Paint Protection Film (PPF, clearbra) and only 3M has a clearcoat layer on their film. For those areas, clay and apply a wax/sealant. I've done it both ways - hand and PC. Use the PC to apply your sealant/wax and hand buff using a MF towel. Here's a tip: use painters tape on the edges of the PPF to prevent product buildup. You can apply products by hand cause it's a small area.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Just stay away from polishing the clear bras. Abrasives and vinyl film do not mix.....
Old 02-19-2006, 10:39 AM
BRH
BRH

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Just stay away from polishing the clear bras. Abrasives and vinyl film do not mix.....
I understand that. But would waxing or sealing be safe?
Old 02-19-2006, 01:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BRH
I understand that. But would waxing or sealing be safe?
Is it necessary? No..
Advisable? Yes, to deter bug splatter and bird droppings from sticking....
Any additional UV protection? Nothing superior to whats in the film to begin with.....