Parking permit adhesive question..

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking permit adhesive question..

Hello,

Well, I have to put a parking permit on my car for a class. Anyway, the permit is required to go on the back windshield, but I really don't want to put it on there because I have tint. I know that they make a static-cling type of thing where you put the permit between the two pieces of static cling and then apply the static cling to the window. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and where I can purchase one of these? Please help!

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 09-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Go to a sign shop and ask for some clear static vinyl. Explain your situation to them. Im sure they would be more then happy to accommodate a college student.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Racer

...i wish i knew this last year.

good advice
Old 09-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
can you get one that sticks to the outside? If so why not put it in the bottom corner...
Old 09-04-2008, 01:00 AM
Racer

i think if you put your sticker on the outside, your over priced parking permit would get stolen
Old 09-04-2008, 07:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Or......Have them cut a piece of "Sentra". Apply the sticker to the Sentra, then hang it around the rear view mirror with a shoelace or something. Easy on, easy off, slip it in the glove box.....
Old 09-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
My town requires vehicle stickers. My Dad and I have bought the stickers in past years but never attached them to the windshield without any problems. This year they started cracking down. One morning on the way outside to wash my car, I noticed tickets on my dad's car and my car, parked in the driveway. They were issued at 7:05 AM on a Saturday morning, $100 fine per car ($20 in previous years). I read in the paper later that day that they would start ticketing at 7AM that Saturday. I guess the cop was camping out in our driveway with the tickets ready.

Lesson learned, I grabbed some clear tape and put it on the sticky side of the vehicle sticker with a tiny bit of clear tape sticking out all around the sticker. I stuck that to some static cling and slapped that on the windshield. Next year, I just have to peel off last year's sticker, apply tape to the new sticker and slap it back up on the windshield.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:36 AM
F1 cart racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have one that sticks to the outside of the car, however i really don't want to stick it on. can i use the static cling so it gets tapped to the inside of the car and i can take it off whenever i want?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
Like excel said, I am sure a sign shop could help you out. That is weird they have you attach a permit to the inside of the back window. UF had us suction cup those overpriced pieces to the front passenger side windshield but I know other schools in Florida, where parking isnt at such a premium, have you stick one on the outside back driver's side.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:59 AM
F1 cart racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thay want it stuck to the outside driver window, but it looks ugly so i try to just lay it on the dash so i don't hve to stick it, i'm just looking to stick it to the inside of the windshield so i can take it on and off, and hopefully they won't hassle me.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Now that I think about it, they're making you alter the vehicles appearance. And they cannot do that. I know its just a sticker, but I dont give a shit who it is, no ones telling me I HAVE to do anything to my truck........
Heres another option. Apply the stikcer to a clear peice of vinyl, then use an identical piece of vinyl and adhere the sticker uner the clear vinyl. The vinyl will remove easily at a later date......
Old 09-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
Stickers suck. I lived in a building that required you to put the decal on the drivers side BUMPER. It is one thing to stick something on your glass but the paint is another story. If you didnt put it on the bumper you were not getting in the garage and they didnt mess around with it
Old 09-06-2008, 03:32 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I have to use a parking permit and ID badge for my job. I simply obtained another ID badge holder and inserted the parking ID into the holder. I then bought a small suction cup and attached it to the ID holder/parking permit. I have tinted windows on my TL and the back is 15% tint so I simply affix the permit on the inside of the front windshield. A parking attendant will usually walk around a car to check for identification and they can easily see the permit. When I leave I simply remove the permit and pop it into one of the compartments under the CD/radio.

If the perking permit is too large for what I described then you can have it laminated a Kinkos. Make sure you have enough laminate on one of the edges to punch a hole and attach a suction cup. The suction cup thingies can be purchase at any full line grocery store in the section that sells tools, sewing items, etc..

The disabled signs that people hang from their rear view mirrors are also good. If you can find a blank one then that will also work great.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SweetJazz
I have to use a parking permit and ID badge for my job. I simply obtained another ID badge holder and inserted the parking ID into the holder. I then bought a small suction cup and attached it to the ID holder/parking permit. I have tinted windows on my TL and the back is 15% tint so I simply affix the permit on the inside of the front windshield. A parking attendant will usually walk around a car to check for identification and they can easily see the permit. When I leave I simply remove the permit and pop it into one of the compartments under the CD/radio.

If the perking permit is too large for what I described then you can have it laminated a Kinkos. Make sure you have enough laminate on one of the edges to punch a hole and attach a suction cup. The suction cup thingies can be purchase at any full line grocery store in the section that sells tools, sewing items, etc..

The disabled signs that people hang from their rear view mirrors are also good. If you can find a blank one then that will also work great.
Thanks for your thoughts! That would work, but I think I found a better solution. Check this out! I picked one up, and it works absolutely WONDERFUL! The best part is, that you can't even tell that the permit itself isn't sticking to the window! It even goes on and comes off window tint with no issues whatsoever!

www.stickershield.com