Parchment Leather Seat Discoloration

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Parchment Leather Seat Discoloration

This topic popped up in a thread on TSX forum and it seems like a number of us TSX owners with parchment interior have a blue stain running along the seam. Do any of you non-TSX owners with parchment interior have this? Any idea of what is causing it? Any idea on how to get rid of it?

Pics were posted by dingdongman and are reposted here:

My discoloration/stain is even more pronounced than those shown in the pics above.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like Dark Deniem Jeans ruboff...
I have that on my car too and that what i thought it was.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought that at first but I don't wear jeans that much and there is no discoloration on the seat itself where I would think it would be the worst. I suspect that it may be some material that Acura uses to reinforce the seam stitching from the inside that is bleeding through.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:40 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jlukja
I thought that at first but I don't wear jeans that much and there is no discoloration on the seat itself where I would think it would be the worst. I suspect that it may be some material that Acura uses to reinforce the seam stitching from the inside that is bleeding through.

Looking at the pics, this seems like a plausible explanation...anyone have any suggestions for preventing this? I'm thinking some way to seal it so it doesn't get wet and bleed to the outside?
Old 08-11-2006, 02:28 PM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JustK
Looking at the pics, this seems like a plausible explanation...anyone have any suggestions for preventing this? I'm thinking some way to seal it so it doesn't get wet and bleed to the outside?
Leather Glaze:
Maintain and protect new upholstery leather with the application of a leather glaze (Leatherique “Original” Klear Kote, or Swissol Leather Glaze) so that the signs of wear can be drastically reduced Provides extra UVR protection against fading for convertibles, newly dyed leather and the dashboard, for use on leather, vinyl, MB-TEX and hard plastic trim.

Use where the leather receives the most noticeable wear, like the driver’s seat and other high wear areas, like the steering wheel, arm rests, driver’s bolsters and door panels, for the driver’s seat where the leather receives the most noticeable wear and should be protected.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I've read a thread about this before and someone had actually removed the seat cover themself and found that when the manufacturer produces the seat covers they use a dark colored marker to mark the cut line on the fabric. Eventually the ink bleeds through causing the discoloration of the outer surface. It makes perfect sense because if you look at the discoloration it has a near perfect cut-off point at each end and runs almost the exact same length in the exact some location on both the driver and passenger side seats.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Door Sills

Dude, from the pics it looks like the clear blue protective sheet is still on your =ACURA= sill plates. Is that just lighting or what? Supposed to be bright and silver.

Sorry, just being nosey!
Old 08-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dmfgrf
Dude, from the pics it looks like the clear blue protective sheet is still on your =ACURA= sill plates. Is that just lighting or what? Supposed to be bright and silver.

Sorry, just being nosey!
Haven't noticed the blue mark on the seats (I have RBP w/ Parchment), but I know my sills are blue also. Initially assumed it was probably a protective film, but it hasn't come off yet (haven't even noticed any lifting edges), my TSX is 4 months old. I'll keep them on until it starts to come off.

Jeff
Old 09-21-2006, 12:46 AM
Advanced

Lol.

The pics are of one of my cars. Its my wife's ride. I think that the blue stuff is a protective static film that keeps the sil plates from getting scratched unitil you remove it...Similar to the clear film on the front of electronics.

It's like the old ladies that have the clear covers over the couch huh? How nice looking can a couch be with a 10 mil shiny bag over it Very nice and comfy granny...in the heat your legs and b@lls stick to it when you go to get up...whoops forgot my pants again granny. I guess she uses the couch cover for a reason!!!!

DD
Old 09-23-2006, 09:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlukja

That's because the stains are on the VINYL part of the seat and not on the leather part (take a closer look at photo #3).

Try an all-purpose cleaner and use a small toothbrush, wiping it off with a terry towel and it may do the job. Just try to avoid getting it on the leather.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:08 AM
Advanced

Coming From underneath

No amount of cleaning is going to remove these bluish stains. The material is completely saturated with the ink color from bottom to, now, the top.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Instructor

Complain to the dealer. I believe that this is a warrantee issue. The 2nd generation TL Forum had lots of threads on this subject and Acura replaced a bunch of seat covers.