Pad package??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Pad package??

I know pads and pad selection have been beaten to death, but does anyone know of a package of pads for someone starting out with a PC?

I know I can put together a list, but does anyone sell a "two of each of the four most used pads" kind of thing?

Patrick, wanna put something together to take the guess work out of it for PC-Newbies like me?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For starting off, I would suggest a finishing pad (Level 1), light polishing pad (Level 2) and a medium cut pad (Level 3). Maybe even think about a versatile cut pad (pretty sure it was the orange propel). Patrick used to have a Propel starter package (1 ea finishing pad [gray] and medium cut [green], 2 light polishing pads [blue] and backing plate. He currently has a sampler package for the Erasure pads. As far as a starter package, you may want to PM him about this. If there is enough interest in it, he may. But if it's for only a few folks, chances are it won't happen. He'll probably read this and comment and hopefully my info is correct.

The starter kit I can think of similar to Patrick's is the Autopia Pad Kit. Autopia offers the SFX Kit which includes a backing plate, but only one each of the pads. You can mix n match at Detail City.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are probably tons of threads out there that talk about this, but here is a link to autogeek.net. They talk about all kinds of pads, and give some great tutorials there as well. Take a look.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Thanks guys. I just bought a garage (and there was a house attached!!) so I will be getting a PC soon, and wanted to just buy a pre-assembled pack of pads for it, rather than put together a purchase list. I know, I am lazy. Really lazy. Probably too lazy to qualify for owning a PC. None the less, I was hoping there was a starter kit or something. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Safety Car

Stogie, check out the links I gave you. It should suffice and combined with the right polish will probably take care of those minor surface problems (swirls, for sure and light scratches). FYI, Patrick's Erasure pads are great should you decide on that option.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
i bought these and they were pretty good:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-sfxpol-kit.html
Old 10-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Yellow, Orange, White for true polishing, green or blue for glazes and all in one types of products, grey for sealants.......
Combinations of the above type pads in conjunction with proper product selection will yield extreme results. They are not a replacement for wool and rotary though. Remember "magic, not a miracle......."
Note.......Propels may be difficult to order due to clearances, Erasures will be expanded late October to include a new Erasure.........
Stogie.... let me know what your needs are and I will design a kit for you........

Last edited by exceldetail; 10-10-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Stogie.... let me know what your needs are and I will design a kit for you........
Sorry it took so long to around to this, but I just bought the PC7336 today at Lowe's.

Patrick, I have a NBP TSX with light swirls and a few slightly deeper scratches. Mainly light swirls, though. Addtitionally, some water marks, but I have some vinegar plans for those... Anyway, I would love to able to polish (SSR1?), then AIO, SG, and follow up with either NXT, Moose, or 845IW as temperature determines.

Not sure what the best pad selection would be, and since I got the 7336, I am guessing I need a Velcro backing plate as well. Thoughts?
Old 12-05-2006, 01:43 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Foam Pad Starter Kit:
Lake County - these European pads are made from engineered, thermally reticulated (exploded open cell) foams with a 99% open cell structure, specifically designed for compounding, polishing and finishing. Constant Pressure’s blue foam backing absorbs any unwanted ‘off-axis’ polishing motions.
Constant Pressure Foam Pad Starter Kit:
•1-Polish / Cutting Pad (*Yellow)
•2-Polish / Light Cutting Pad (*Orange)
•2-Polish / Waxing Pad (*White)
•2-Finishing Pad (*Black)
•1-5-inch Flexible Urethane Backing Plate

I would also recommend the Optimum line of products (www.topoftheline.com) as they are ideal for the inexperienced or neophyte user. The polishes remain clear enabling you to see wither the imperfections have been removed.

*The foam pad colour identifications and specifications are by Lake County Manufacturing (LC) other manufactures of foam pads use different colours to identify the abrasiveness or cutting ability of their foam pads

{Knowledge unshared is experience wasted}
Old 12-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Foam Pad Starter Kit:
Lake County - these European pads are made from engineered, thermally reticulated (exploded open cell) foams with a 99% open cell structure, specifically designed for compounding, polishing and finishing. Constant Pressure’s blue foam backing absorbs any unwanted ‘off-axis’ polishing motions.
Constant Pressure Foam Pad Starter Kit:
•1-Polish / Cutting Pad (*Yellow)
•2-Polish / Light Cutting Pad (*Orange)
•2-Polish / Waxing Pad (*White)
•2-Finishing Pad (*Black)
•1-5-inch Flexible Urethane Backing Plate

I would also recommend the Optimum line of products (www.topoftheline.com) as they are ideal for the inexperienced or neophyte user. The polishes remain clear enabling you to see wither the imperfections have been removed.

*The foam pad colour identifications and specifications are by Lake County Manufacturing (LC) other manufactures of foam pads use different colours to identify the abrasiveness or cutting ability of their foam pads

{Knowledge unshared is experience wasted}

Thanks, ordering soon. Any suggestions for an Optimum polish similar to PB SSR1? I think that this is all the cut I need for fine swirls.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
Patrick, I have a NBP TSX with light swirls and a few slightly deeper scratches. Mainly light swirls, though. Addtitionally, some water marks, but I have some vinegar plans for those... Anyway, I would love to able to polish (SSR1?), then AIO, SG, and follow up with either NXT, Moose, or 845IW as temperature determines.

Not sure what the best pad selection would be, and since I got the 7336, I am guessing I need a Velcro backing plate as well. Thoughts?
An Orange pad will meet your requirements, but may I suggest ordering 2 of your most frequently used? This way should you decide to switch products mid-stream, you'll be set to go. White for the very light swirls, in conjunction with a product like Optimum Polish or Compound should meet your demands.
An ideal setup would be two orange, 2 white, and a black/grey for finishing. Keep in mind the yellow pads are for moderate to severe swirl removal, and they will mar the surface (which is ok, if its expected!). Naturally, you will need a backing plate as well.
For very light swirls, try the Optimum PoliSeal! 3x the protective ingredients as the spray wax! Now imagine using the PoliSeal and Spray Wax? What a team!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Nate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exceldetail
An Orange pad will meet your requirements, but may I suggest ordering 2 of your most frequently used? This way should you decide to switch products mid-stream, you'll be set to go. White for the very light swirls, in conjunction with a product like Optimum Polish or Compound should meet your demands.
An ideal setup would be two orange, 2 white, and a black/grey for finishing. Keep in mind the yellow pads are for moderate to severe swirl removal, and they will mar the surface (which is ok, if its expected!). Naturally, you will need a backing plate as well.
For very light swirls, try the Optimum PoliSeal! 3x the protective ingredients as the spray wax! Now imagine using the PoliSeal and Spray Wax? What a team!

I've read a lot about using the bonnets over a pad for waxing. Would you just go witht the black / gray paid for that or should I consider one of the bonnets
Old 12-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Safety Car

Finishing pads are basically used to apply sealants/glazes. There are also finessing pads that can be used apply products as well as remove them. I remove wax by hand and with the PC speed set at 3-4 use a MF bonnett over a cutting pad for a final buff.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Safety Car

Finishing pads are basically used to apply sealants/glazes. There are also finessing pads that can be used apply products as well as remove them. Click here for a description of the ET Pads by LC. I usually remove wax by hand and with the PC speed set at 3-4 use a MF bonnett over a cutting pad for a final buff.