New CQuartz Nano Ceramic coating

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New CQuartz Nano Ceramic coating

Well on my detailing forums i constantly get introduced to new products and try to try most of them to see what can be improved on protection side of detail. Polishes have been around and dont change much, cant say the same for protection products. This kind of product is very popular in Asia and Japan but only now started to make it here, its actually imported so only one place in US sells it for now
product is called CQuartz, its nano ceramic based coating system which is like super sealant, company claims it will last about 2 years with proper maintenance or less if its gona be polished or washed improperly. purpose of this product is to protect the cars finish and makes it easier to wash the car, soft paint will benefit from this coating since it resists scratches better then your car clear coat, application of product is tricky and surface has to be perfect and COMPLETELY oil free (Dawn is recommended for to remove all oils, P21S TAW can be used as well).

here is key points of product:
salt, acids, birds dropping, tree saps, degreaser, Dawn washes... etc...
improved scratch resistance
lasts about 2 years,
can be taken off by polishing the car with abrasive polish

i got the product from distributor, wetsanded panels since i want to do my whole car and applied product (took me 3 times to get it right, removing product in between tries but finally got it right, here is results

keep in mind fender was washed with Dawn and CG citruswash

here is some videos of product testing done by other ppl

Cquartz hammered protection.AVI

CQuartz Anti Scratch

Blue EvoX that we did couple weeks ago will be receiving this treatment soon

Wetsanded my hood today and applied CQuartz, looks sick, i can say its mile deep, cant wait to see it once it rains, coating is like RainX on super steroids as you can see from fender video

after 1500grit

after 2000 and then 3000 grit
starting to polish with rotary and wool pad

after wool pad on PC for final compounding.

after polishing with SIP, 203 and 106 on different pads

washed car with Dawn to remove all polishing oils to get it ready for CQuartz application

applied coating, waited 30 min at 30C to cure, wiped off, left car under gas heater for 2 more hours to let it cure more, coating should be completely cured in 48hours

done

reflection without orangepeel

driver side fender is next, then clear bra
Old 11-25-2010, 01:48 PM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
wow that looks amazing!
Old 11-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
That seems neat. Care to elaborate on why it's so difficult to apply the product?
Old 11-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
That's pretty damn incredible.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by v|nsan|ty
That seems neat. Care to elaborate on why it's so difficult to apply the product?
car has to be polished first otherwise you seal all that stuff under the coating (almost like putting clear coat on car but not as thick, then you need to wash the car to get all polishing oils off and its not as easy as i thought, IPA wipedown doesnt do the trick unless you do it with mix of Dawn, then application has to be withing temps, application itself needs to be done right and let it cure then wipe off and time to cure. its not very hard but all the prep that goes into it takes good amount of time. it took me 3 times to get it right, cant imagine how hard it is to apply AQuartz or Optimum Opti-Coat because Cquartz supposed to be easy compared to those 2
Old 11-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Obviously appearance benefits are subjective. I would recommend running some water on a panel every 10-14 days and record your findings for a true analysis. Sounds like you put both feet in for this product. Another option would have been to have performed a side by side with an OTC product for all the readers here to compare your findings against.
There's nothing worse for us old timers, then to open up a thread with someone claiming a product that we have never heard about before claims this and that, without any actual bench testing.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Obviously appearance benefits are subjective. I would recommend running some water on a panel every 10-14 days and record your findings for a true analysis. Sounds like you put both feet in for this product. Another option would have been to have performed a side by side with an OTC product for all the readers here to compare your findings against.
There's nothing worse for us old timers, then to open up a thread with someone claiming a product that we have never heard about before claims this and that, without any actual bench testing.

not the whole car is covered with this, definitely doing comparison testing, next step if to cover half of my rear quarter with this and leave other untouched to see how good it resists to regular washes, rest of car is covered with powerlock right now, gona wash the hood on money to see how it is, i supposed to cure completely in 7 days. on money im putting this product on blue EvoX, i might leave little part of one of panels uncoated to see how it reacts to that, since car belongs to a friend im sure he will not mind specialy since car is gunnie pig for this product

dont want to compare to OTC because its not going to be fair comparison, comparing this to stuff that us detailers use for protection will be more fair comparison, comparing this to collinite 845 for example would be good

im not in 2 feet for this product yet but hope its everything that company claims it is. other products that company has are amazing specially IronX. and that you can wash the car with Dawn like im sure some ppl do says somethign about the coating
Old 11-28-2010, 05:38 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
We all dislike change, and at a certain age you resist it even more.For many years (twenty plus) my polymer sealant of choice was Klasse (an acrylic polymer) I then converted to Zaino (a polymer) and used it for approx fifteen years, but my coating of choice today is a nanotechnology coating that has better durability than anything I’ve used in more than five decades.

Unlike a polymer that forms a barrier; nanotechnology coatings are a modification of the surface chemistry on a molecular level that provides a semi- permanent easy to clean protective surface.

“Crystalline Nanotechnology Coatings” this is an extract from one of a series of i articles “The Art & Science of Detailing” - TOGWT

Last edited by TOGWT; 11-28-2010 at 05:43 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by TOGWT
We all dislike change, and at a certain age you resist it even more.For many years (twenty plus) my polymer sealant of choice was Klasse (an acrylic polymer) I then converted to Zaino (a polymer) and used it for approx fifteen years, but my coating of choice today is a nanotechnology coating that has better durability than anything I’ve used in more than five decades.

Unlike a polymer that forms a barrier; nanotechnology coatings are a modification of the surface chemistry on a molecular level that provides a semi- permanent easy to clean protective surface.

“Crystalline Nanotechnology Coatings” this is an extract from one of a series of i articles “The Art & Science of Detailing” - TOGWT
Are you actually using it now ?

One term I have always loved .. semi-permanent... its either permanent or not ... every wax is semi permanent. Only difference is the length of how long it is there.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Are you actually using it now ?

One term I have always loved .. semi-permanent... its either permanent or not ... every wax is semi permanent. Only difference is the length of how long it is there.
length of how long coating is there determines by several factors, wash techniques and products used, environmental condition and the kind of coating you use.

Cquartz claims to resists to environmental condition and wash techniques a lot better then polymer sealants. Therefore it will last longer then regular sealant.
clear coat is semi-permanent as well, if you dont take care of it, it will not last as long

Last edited by sy272004; 11-28-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by sy272004
Cquartz claims to resists to environmental condition and wash techniques a lot better
I guess thats my point ... every product out there "claims" all kinds of wonderful stuff and have for years. And if you have been around for a while you know the answers to those claims.

The word "nano" is the new buzz word and is used on a lot of OTC products as a marketing tool. Most of these OTC products never held up to any side by side testing by users.

I'm not saying its no good ... It would be nice to see how it holds up on a side by side with sealants like Klasse SG or Zaino on properly prepped surfaces. Would like to see how it resists etching from bird droppings .. How it resists bug etching. All the sealants / waxes claim to do this but fail.

As far as manufacturer produced vids go showing durability and scratch resistance I'd rather see the result of a normal winter driving where 1/2 the hood was done with it .. the other 1/2 with a quality sealant.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Instructor

I guess thats my point ... every product out there "claims" all kinds of wonderful stuff and have for years. And if you have been around for a while you know the answers to those claims.

The word "nano" is the new buzz word and is used on a lot of OTC products as a marketing tool. Most of these OTC products never held up to any side by side testing by users.

I'm not saying its no good ... It would be nice to see how it holds up on a side by side with sealants like Klasse SG or Zaino on properly prepped surfaces. Would like to see how it resists etching from bird droppings .. How it resists bug etching. All the sealants / waxes claim to do this but fail.

As far as manufacturer produced vids go showing durability and scratch resistance I'd rather see the result of a normal winter driving where 1/2 the hood was done with it .. the other 1/2 with a quality sealant.

you cant realy compare OTC stuff with stuff you get at detailersdomain.com or other similar websites, you cant compare meguiars with menzerna, collinite, Klasse SG(never used this one) or other professional products? am i right?

that kind of testing can be easily done, although i dont think any other sealant will like to be washed with Dawn. i know your speculation point very well, used a lot of stuff that claimed one and when you use it, it was complete opposite, but you have to understand that its not polymer based, so it has different properties then those sealants.

i can do half hood of Cquartz and half of collinite 845, would you say its fair comparison? or collinite 845 is not durable enough?

Last edited by sy272004; 11-28-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Actually locally 845 doesn't hold up well at all .. I switched to using it as my "winter Wax" for customers last winter and most of them asked this year to use what I was using the previous years .. which was Megs #21 or Duragloss #105.

I also did 1/2 the roof/hood on my Olds last winter and the 845 never made a month. The other 1/2 was Duragloss #105 and it was still there 3 months later.

As far as comparing Megs with others .. al lot of thier Mirror Glaze & Detailer line is as good as a lot of the boutique lines. Thats why so many here use the Megs #105/#205/#21 etc and a lot of thier cleaners.

As for the Dawn washing ... well who washes with it ?? A Cquarts user sure wouldn't .. nor would most knowledgeable people. BTW it takes more than a single Dawn wash to remove a fairly fresh coat of Duragloss #105 or Megs #21 ... it will remove a lot of carnuba based waxes.

Over in Detailing Bliss its all the rage and same with the band wagon on Autopia ... as was Z2 and 4* UPP and #845 only to have them all fall off and jump on the next new product out. Mind you some of them were good products too.

If this stuff does pan out .. I'll splurge and buy it to try it as I did with the Zaino line. The Zaino line was great .. just not worth the $$.

Least with your application you started with a very fresh slate ( wet sanding ) and you'll have a good base.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Actually locally 845 doesn't hold up well at all .. I switched to using it as my "winter Wax" for customers last winter and most of them asked this year to use what I was using the previous years .. which was Megs #21 or Duragloss #105.

I also did 1/2 the roof/hood on my Olds last winter and the 845 never made a month. The other 1/2 was Duragloss #105 and it was still there 3 months later.

As far as comparing Megs with others .. al lot of thier Mirror Glaze & Detailer line is as good as a lot of the boutique lines. Thats why so many here use the Megs #105/#205/#21 etc and a lot of thier cleaners.

As for the Dawn washing ... well who washes with it ?? A Cquarts user sure wouldn't .. nor would most knowledgeable people. BTW it takes more than a single Dawn wash to remove a fairly fresh coat of Duragloss #105 or Megs #21 ... it will remove a lot of carnuba based waxes.

Over in Detailing Bliss its all the rage and same with the band wagon on Autopia ... as was Z2 and 4* UPP and #845 only to have them all fall off and jump on the next new product out. Mind you some of them were good products too.

If this stuff does pan out .. I'll splurge and buy it to try it as I did with the Zaino line. The Zaino line was great .. just not worth the $$.

Least with your application you started with a very fresh slate ( wet sanding ) and you'll have a good base.

cquarts is recommended to wash the car with high alkaline soap, also was recommended to use Dawn to prep the car for coating application or dawn/IPA 10/90 mix, tried mix and it worked ok but was easier to just wash the car and wipe it down after

had opposite experience with 845, used it for winter and had hard time taking it off in spring with TAW, granted i did apply 3 coats of it

pretty sure i have DG105(its pinkish in color right)? and have some DG 501
Old 11-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Suzuka Master

cquarts is recommended to wash the car with high alkaline soap, also was recommended to use Dawn to prep the car for coating application or dawn/IPA 10/90 mix, tried mix and it worked ok but was easier to just wash the car and wipe it down after

had opposite experience with 845, used it for winter and had hard time taking it off in spring with TAW, granted i did apply 3 coats of it

pretty sure i have DG105(its pinkish in color right)? and have some DG 501

^^^ Ya I saw all the issues you had with doing it over in the other forum ... just for the record the recommended dawn wash is a pre product prep .. not recommendation to wash it with Dawn .. matter of fact it seems like there is a concern over what to wash it with.

DG 105 is written right on the bottle. Without going down to the shop memory tells me its cream colored.

How would you like to do something for me .. seeing your hood is all done,... go take a kitchen sponge and rub it down like they did in that demo video ...
Old 11-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Instructor

^^^ Ya I saw all the issues you had with doing it over in the other forum ... just for the record the recommended dawn wash is a pre product prep .. not recommendation to wash it with Dawn .. matter of fact it seems like there is a concern over what to wash it with.

DG 105 is written right on the bottle. Without going down to the shop memory tells me its cream colored.

How would you like to do something for me .. seeing your hood is all done,... go take a kitchen sponge and rub it down like they did in that demo video ...
i can do that on but whole hood is done so there wouldnt be comparizon of treated and untreated. will do sponge test on weds when coating is cured completely
or if i feel like ill polish one part of hood and do 50/50, then i can just reaply the coating
Old 11-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,418 Likes on 3,027 Posts
at those videos
Old 11-29-2010, 10:08 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Here is a list of product attributes directly from the product website. I do not see anything that jumps out or hasn't been claimed by another product except "no more waxing"? At least this product shows graphically that it has fillers to remove scratches by 50%. I will reserve judgement until someone tests out the product for about 6 months.

Oh yeah. Someone please explain the meaning of "[I]...modification of the surface chemistry on a molecular level...[/I]"? Hard to prove this one.

Cquartz major properties:

- Anti scratch improved by 50%
- Anti static
- Anti acids and salts
- Execellent high gloss effect - mirror finish.
- HydroPhobic Water-repelling
- Anti Calcium effect
- Dirt-deflecting
- Easy to clean/self cleaning effect
- Weather protection
- UV - weather-resistant
- Insects and flies repellent
- Fine scratches removed by 50%
- Anti corrosion
- No more waxing !
- Preserve car value condition
Old 11-30-2010, 05:37 AM

Always keep an open mind and I would also strongly suggest that you verify any information that I or anyone else shares with you. Doyour own research and also check other opinions and products, test them and then make an objective decision based upon factual information not marketing hype or brand loyalty.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Always keep an open mind and I would also strongly suggest that you verify any information that I or anyone else shares with you. Doyour own research and also check other opinions and products, test them and then make an objective decision based upon factual information not marketing hype or brand loyalty.
Your a great provider of useful information ... are you currently using this product?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 AM
OCD

Received 126 Likes on 43 Posts
Subscribed!
Old 12-01-2010, 05:33 AM

Your a great provider of useful information ... are you currently using this product?
Thank you.

I currently use Aquartz nanothechnology coatings.Be cognizant that I’m not a professional detailer; insofar as detailing is not my sole source of income, so a professional who does ‘volume’ detailing may have a different ‘take’ on this or other posts I respond to.

FWIW: to qualify semi-permanent- something that has a limited durability i.e a wax or polymer in comparison to a paint surface
Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Suzuka Master

a professional who does ‘volume’ detailing may have a different ‘take’ on this or other posts I respond to.

The "volume " detailers I have seen locally and in other towns usually are more just like the weekender but with employees and using heavy bulk products and dressings, not people who do a car a day and correction so thier takes will be different.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Nano coating technology has actually been around for a couple of years now. If I remember correctly, the coating originated from Taiwan, and it is rated in hardness rating similar to gemstones from 1-10. CQuartz has a hardness of 7.5H I believe, while Taiwanese/other coatings are up to 9H. In fact, while looking around on Taiwanese detailing site (I read/speak/write Chinese), some nano coatings in Taiwan come in an aerosol can, simply spray on, take a sponge to spread around evenly, wait til it cures, and wipe off. (Obviously with easy wipe on wipe off has trade offs, hardness rating for aerosol cans = 6H)

See 2 videos here:

1st video: (they call water repellency test "lotus effect test"
http://www.youtube.com/user/SinoNano.../0/YZqoZ0V0NNU

2nd video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SinoNano.../1/gSUTR7DSzqw

I've contacted the manufacturer and asked if they can send me a sample, if they do send me a sample, I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CU2MIKE
Nano coating technology has actually been around for a couple of years now. If I remember correctly, the coating originated from Taiwan, and it is rated in hardness rating similar to gemstones from 1-10. CQuartz has a hardness of 7.5H I believe, while Taiwanese/other coatings are up to 9H. In fact, while looking around on Taiwanese detailing site (I read/speak/write Chinese), some nano coatings in Taiwan come in an aerosol can, simply spray on, take a sponge to spread around evenly, wait til it cures, and wipe off. (Obviously with easy wipe on wipe off has trade offs, hardness rating for aerosol cans = 6H)

See 2 videos here:

1st video: (they call water repellency test "lotus effect test"
http://www.youtube.com/user/SinoNano.../0/YZqoZ0V0NNU

2nd video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SinoNano.../1/gSUTR7DSzqw

I've contacted the manufacturer and asked if they can send me a sample, if they do send me a sample, I'll keep you guys updated.
problem with 1st video. coating is not translucent as it appears.
second
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tns4FnCaA0
super hydrophobic coatings can repel water very well, better then cquartz but they are not as durable so more hydrophobic the coating the less durable it is, thats what it was year or two ago, maybe they worked out the problem

Taiwan detailers like to use this stuff, its very popular there and very competitive. WAC uses it there
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqwuBBYRRDY

yes, Lotus effect is what this coating is based on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl35HS-3Mrc
this coating is not durable, can be taken on if put finger on it so not good for cars and not translucent

here is update

new version of CQuartz is out. will be getting it with next order, supposed to be slicker and more hydrophobic then this one
hope i can take video of this one beeding on EVO soon, EVO coating was applied right way with correct aftercare. on my car i will have to redo it, working out all details of application and after care reveals some things that i did wrong

Last edited by sy272004; 12-02-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Suzuka Master

. on my car i will have to redo it, working out all details of application and after care reveals some things that i did wrong
I was following your thread in that other forum and it looks like they were goving very clear instructions on what to do and how to prep/apply it but you were drifting off from what they were saying.

Sounds like this isn't something for the average weekend user ... most of them can't hardly get through a normal wax job.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Instructor

I was following your thread in that other forum and it looks like they were goving very clear instructions on what to do and how to prep/apply it but you were drifting off from what they were saying.

Sounds like this isn't something for the average weekend user ... most of them can't hardly get through a normal wax job.
thing i messed up on last application is washing the car too soon with soap. that instruction was not there nor was it on manufacturers website until i told about the problem to Avi, then he posted on website that its not supposed to be washed with soap for 7 days after coating, we worked out details of application when i was testing so im sure whats posted now on website is final version of application process and aftercare
Old 12-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Fair enough ... can it be washed with just water or even gotten wet? Sounds like the product is out on the market without sufficient testing.

Its going to be interesting 4-6 months down the road as to the effects on the clear .. durability. If it changes things at the molecular level .. what does that mean .. it alters the clear?
Old 12-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Instructor

Fair enough ... can it be washed with just water or even gotten wet? Sounds like the product is out on the market without sufficient testing.

Its going to be interesting 4-6 months down the road as to the effects on the clear .. durability. If it changes things at the molecular level .. what does that mean .. it alters the clear?

it can be washed with water after 12 hours but not with soap.

i guess they mean on molecular level that its bonds to clear coat by cross-linking molecules of coating and clear.

not sure how much testing is done on the product, its hard to test since new versions come out often but i guess base product been proven out in Japan,
think of it as sealant here, there are so many versions and one is better then other on some level with some trade offs. Base technology is there and been out for couple years, just what companies can do with them is what will define the product
Old 12-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Burning Brakes

They make different coatings for different things, nano coating didn't exactly originated as "car paint protection". But like I said, I asked for an sample of their car paint coating, so hopefully he sends me a sample. I'd love to try the aerosol can, sounds much easier to apply lol.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CU2MIKE
They make different coatings for different things, nano coating didn't exactly originated as "car paint protection". But like I said, I asked for an sample of their car paint coating, so hopefully he sends me a sample. I'd love to try the aerosol can, sounds much easier to apply lol.

dont know about easy of application, all experience i had with aerosol is that mist goes in places you dont want to, some of product flies away and doesnt end up on the surface
Old 12-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Burning Brakes

dont know about easy of application, all experience i had with aerosol is that mist goes in places you dont want to, some of product flies away and doesnt end up on the surface
Now you tell me! lol
Oh well, I have CQuartz on order from mike @ Auto Aesthetica...